Not only does this site show Nottingham Trolleybuses, but road scenes, people, vehicles, Buildings and views of Nottingham which were changed by 'redevelopement' many years ago.

David Bradley's Excellent - Picture Gallery of Nottingham's Trolleybuses

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found these online:

My wife was crowned Miss Bulwell Depot around 1962/3 at the depot's annual dinner dance. It didn't make the Dispatch though. She didn't make a career out of it either; just went to work in a knicker f

Posted Images

The area behind the wall on Pics N3/4/8 at Cinderhill Terminus is now the site of the Nottingham Gateway Hotel.

At the time of the pictures the wall retained an area called 'Fowler's Pond', which was the prime play area for childhood's 1950's style. Access to the actual pond involved a climb over the pictured wall [with the inevitable cuts and grazes] then a short trek through undergrowth that was dense enough to allow us to imagine an Amazon expedition, until the pond was reached some 100 yards in from the wall.

The pond itself was quite sizeable, and saw many anglers fishing for the numerous pike that always seemed to thrive there. Quite alarming for the young kids to see the aggressive fish being landed.

Beyond the pond was the Cinderhill Colliery FC pitch, the Cinderhill Colliery CC ground and the Basford Hall Miners Welfare, who owned the whole area bordered by Bagnall Road & Nuthall Road.

The Miners Welfare was a building of great awe and mystery to the kids playing nearby. It was even rumoured that ladies turned up there at Sunday lunch time and took their clothes off in front of the drinking miners....but that's another story, for another time.

Cheers

Robt P.

B) Yep that site brings back a few memories especialy the one taken showing the old ice stadium and car park sadly all gone now and what has happen to Middleton Boulevard, how picturesque it looked then....and they call it progress...

Blimey,a real blast from the past.

The nos 43+44 used to pass 1 end of the st I lived on.The 43 ran from Bulwell market place to Trent Bridge.The 44 ran from Bulwell Hall to Colwick.

At the other end of the rd ran the nos36+41.The 36 ran from Queen St in town to the Futurist cinema.The 41 ran from Cinderhill to Colwick? I think.There used to be a blue trolly that ran to Ilkeston,but I think it was taken off as I can only remember it when I was quite small.

I also remember Fowlers pond and used to play there a lot.Think we got to it by way of Bagnall Rd. B)

Blimey,a real blast from the past.

The nos 43+44 used to pass 1 end of the st I lived on.The 43 ran from Bulwell market place to Trent Bridge.The 44 ran from Bulwell Hall to Colwick.

At the other end of the rd ran the nos36+41.The 36 ran from Queen St in town to the Futurist cinema.The 41 ran from Cinderhill to Colwick? I think.There used to be a blue trolly that ran to Ilkeston,but I think it was taken off as I can only remember it when I was quite small.

I also remember Fowlers pond and used to play there a lot.Think we got to it by way of Bagnall Rd. B)

The 41 ran to from Cinderhill to Trent Bridge.

37 ran from Queen Street to Haydn Road...

39 went to Carlton Post Office Square...but from where?

Another set of trackless workings were the Kildare Road/Wells Road/Ransome Road services, of which I knew very little........No's 38,40 & 47 spring to mind.

42 went from Slab Square? to the Northern Baths on Highbury Vale.

45/46...Wollaton Park to Slab Square/Trent Bridge/Colwick???...another grey area!

The blue trolley service you recall was the MGO A1 service which ran right through to Ripley Market from Slab Square. It ceased in the mid/late 50's.

Your access to Fowlers Pond from Bagnall Road was regularly used by many kids.

Certainly a more straightforward trip than that had by the Nuthall Road 'wall climbers' taking the 'jungle' route!

Cheers

Robt P.

David Bowler's Nottingham Trolleybus book is set for publication this month, see link:

http://www.mdsbooks.co.uk/detail.html?this=TB520

Ain't cheap...perhaps a March visit to the Broad Marsh discount book shop might be worthwhile.

Or 30 of us could chip in a quid each, and pass it round....

Cheers

Robt P.

The images on the site and in this book are excellent quality colour images.

They could have been taken today. I wonder who took them and who in fact owns the copyright to them.

In the former site one image appears to be a brand new trollybus, making it a very early image.

SEE HERE

rob237 Posted on Jan 12 2006, 11:46 AM

Ain't cheap...perhaps a March visit to the Broad Marsh discount book shop might be worthwhile.

Cheers

Robt P.

;) That's a bit optimistic of you rob237, 30 of us! We may have over 30 members but there are NOT 30 let alone 10 who actually contribute to the site...or is it me being silly.......

From memory:

38: POST OFFICE SQUARE CARLTON TO CITY CENTRE

39: POST OFFICE SQUARE CARLTON TO CROWN ISLAND ILKESTON RD

40: WELLS ROAD TO WILFORD TOLL BRIDGE VIA ARKWRIGHT ST

45: TRENT BRIDGE TO MIDDLETON BLVD VIA DERBY RD

47: WELLS ROAD TO CITY CENTRE

From memory:

38: POST OFFICE SQUARE CARLTON TO CITY CENTRE

39: POST OFFICE SQUARE CARLTON TO CROWN ISLAND ILKESTON RD

40: WELLS ROAD TO WILFORD TOLL BRIDGE VIA ARKWRIGHT ST

45: TRENT BRIDGE TO MIDDLETON BLVD VIA DERBY RD

47: WELLS ROAD TO CITY CENTRE

Correction Bamber, 40 never went via Arkwright St at all, it turned off at the "Fountain car park", turned on Canal St and turned up Wilford Rd. I rode that many times, and I'm sure the 47 went to the Toll Bridge too, used to live down Briar St so got off the bus at Bosworth Rd or just sat and went the next stop to the terminus.

rob237 Posted on Jan 12 2006, 11:46 AM

Cheers

Robt P.

;) That's a bit optimistic of you rob237, 30 of us! We may have over 30 members but there are NOT 30 let alone 10 who actually contribute to the site...or is it me being silly.......

Seven thread contributors thus far.

That's £4.29 each, and dropping......

Camera with cataract problem took this picture of a 40 turning at Wilford

Toll Bridge.

Cheers

Robt P.

post-20-1137086664_thumb.jpg

That takes me back a fair few years Rob, just up the road a little was my old pit.

The bus is just about level with the entrance to the Embankment and looks like the feller who was shooting the bus was standing at the entrance to the toll bridge.

The images on the site and in this book are excellent quality colour images.

They could have been taken today. I wonder who took them and who in fact owns the copyright to them.

http://www.trolleybus.net/

Copyright etc information half way down the page.

Cheers

Robt P.

That takes me back a fair few years Rob, just up the road a little was my old pit.

The bus is just about level with the entrance to the Embankment and looks like the feller who was shooting the bus was standing at the entrance to the toll bridge.

Is that you on your bike?

Having just finished your shift...

Cheers

Robt P.

post-20-1137091652_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Newbie here

A bit late but someone asked where certain trolley buses ended.

The 39 initially ended up right next to the 45 on Middleton Boulevard, but them moved to the MB/Wollaton road junction near the Co-op and shops. 39 via Ilkeston Road and the 45 via Derby road.

• 3 years later...

Used to walk down from Forster Grove Radford to catch the No39 trolley bus at Ilkeston Road and Radford Boulevard junction to go into town on Saturday nights.