• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found these online:

My wife was crowned Miss Bulwell Depot around 1962/3 at the depot's annual dinner dance. It didn't make the Dispatch though. She didn't make a career out of it either; just went to work in a knicker f

Posted Images

My youngest son has helped me to put the two test photos onto the site. I've got all the instructions written down so hopefully I'll be able to get some old photos put onto the site. My dads name was William Arthur Booth but everyone knew him as 'Mighty Fine'. I remember,as a kid, taking my dads 'snap', which he'd forgotten, to the bus terminus on Victoria Embankment. I was asking drivers what time Arthur Booth would be there but nobody knew him. As I was about to walk away I mentioned that people called him 'Mighty Fine' and suddenly everybody knew who he was.

I've had such a laugh at all your comments, they've all been so funny. I don't know where the photo was taken jackson because It wasn't my photo. Last year I decided to download all my photos onto my computer. I got the box, bags and anything else they were in and downloaded the lot. I then asked my sister and brothers to let me download any photos they have of my deceased parents and any old photos they have from my childhood. They all responded well and I saw lots of photos that I'd not seen before, not just my parents but my grand-parents. There were also lots of photos of myself at a young age. The photos above were from my sister.

Hi Michael, glad you've taken our comments light heartedly; nothing beats laughter: :biggrin: 'He Deserves Paradise Who Makes His Friends Laugh' (quote).

I'm sure that's a Wollaton Park bungalow at the back of your dad (second photo) and being as your dad is wearing a bus driver's uniform, could he have had the photo taken during a break from driving a number 39 trolley bus?

:biggrin:

I hope your quote regarding laughter comes true, jackson. I would hope that I'd see you there also. mick2me, I've heard that Mighty Fine had a conductor called Gladys but I can remember there was a conductor called Dennis. If it's the same one that you refer to then it's the one I used to see on the late bus from time to time. They used to call it the 'Paddy Bus'. He was a really nice guy, always laughing and joking and when he was with my dad it was like a double act. Having said 'double act' I'm beginning to wonder if he WAS Tommy Trinder doing a second job on the side...lol

11584988864578664500_1_450.jpg

This was the last Trolly Bus, they were withdrawn in 1966. This particular bus was first in service in 1950, they built them to last in those days ! The poles were for ever detaching from the overhead lines and it was the conductors job to use a twenty foot pole that came with each bus to fix it back. They carried seventy passengers !

• Upvote 1

nottmpix-045.jpg?w=300&h=188

Railess compound 1965

nottmpix-046.jpg?w=300&h=190

Corporation bus in the compound, October 1965

Found this later on another web site and trolley buses appear to be waiting for the scrapyard...no Notts Corp. stickers on side, doors open and I cannot see any overhead wires. There was no indication where it was on the website.

• Upvote 1

It was the sneinton hermitage,the cafe was called the arena cafe,the police station was on the corner,and before they blocked it in,it was the only place in Nottingham where 7 roads met,there was only a small island,where the men waited on a Sunday for the bendigo to open at mid day,anyone remember all 7roads?

Sneinton Hollows brings back memories, when I was 18 (1964) worked with a guy maybe in his 40's (seemed old), he lived next door to Moggie Mick (who some will know) at Arnold, I left the firm but kept in touch with Sam who had several Velocette's. For whatever reason him and his wife moved from this nice bungalow into a basement hovel on said road, visited him couple of times and he offered FOC gift of this 500cc Velo! before I could collect it I took ill, (shingles) by time well enough to go round he'd moved with no forwarding address! House is still there, do you think I should see if present tenant has his new address? lol, (just a daft memory from the past)

• 2 weeks later...