Nuthall Temple Primary School

I attended this school known as the 'Cowsheds' between 1958 and 196, a collection of army type wooden buildings with a more modern prefab classroon and outside toilets.Remember being very cold in winter except in the modern building where the fumes from the coke stove made you sleepy. I think the head teacher was a Mr Mann. I have always believed that the buildings were a former prisoner of war camp but cannot find any evidence to support this. Internet searches reveal nothing.

Does anyone out there have any knowledge of the history of these buildings. I would be very grateful to know.

I don't know the area, but this might remind you of a few things

nuth_zps4962fb28.jpg

I have always believed that the buildings were a former prisoner of war camp but cannot find any evidence to support this.

Which war? Because maps dated 1938 already show the place marked as "school"

Is the small road at 11 oclock Spring Terrace.

What line does the motorway now take?

On the opposite side of the main road to the temple you can see Spring Terrace.......and that is about where the Motorway bridge is now.

Roosta

I think the sweet shop to which you refer later became a Transport cafe, run by Ron Cooper and his wife.

That was around 1970. Their Daughters name was Helen.

Certainly did Mick, had my 2 dripping toast (crusts if they had 'em) & mug of strong tea in there a few times, parking was a pain though!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I attended this school known as the 'Cowsheds' between 1958 and 196, a collection of army type wooden buildings with a more modern prefab classroon and outside toilets.Remember being very cold in winter except in the modern building where the fumes from the coke stove made you sleepy. I think the head teacher was a Mr Mann. I have always believed that the buildings were a former prisoner of war camp but cannot find any evidence to support this. Internet searches reveal nothing.

Does anyone out there have any knowledge of the history of these buildings. I would be very grateful to know.

According to the Book on Nuttall the 'Army huts from the 1914-18 war were bought in to house the children. This was a "temporary" arrangement which lasted 45 years'. No mention of POWs in there I'm afraid.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Roosta

Just discovered this link whilst doing a bit of nostalgic googling. I attended NTCountyPS from 1957 to !961, and the headmaster

was indeed Mr H L Mann, whilst the teacher in the "modern prefab", the top class, was Mr Taylor. Going down the school, were Mrs Burrows, Mrs Hodgekinson, Mrs Parfitt and Mrs Baker. I was also in the church choir, up the road, and cubs and scouts up

in the church hall!

Bizarrely, I now also live in Devon (for the last 42 years!)

Yours

mouthvet

• 1 year later...

Hi Mouthvet,

It would appear that we were both at the "Cowsheds" until 1961, and if I am not mistaken you are Chris P. If this assumption is correct, and you again google this site, then I claim my £5 pronto.

The school was a delight, I liked the headmaster, all the teachers and the education received was of a good standard .

I do however recall my mother attending an open day and addressing the headmaster as Mr Daft (who was our gardener) and realising her mistake then adding on Mann. After that I never felt that he held me in the same esteem. Good old mum.

Best regards to you and yours.

• 1 year later...

I was at the  cowsheds from 1952 to1957 where l wrote the eleven plus,i played on the football team against in the area ,gilthill,beauvale,brookhill leys and church hill.There was at teacher there named Mrs Marshall who happened to be my auntie .Can anyone remember the school dinners for 5 shillings a week?.Ican remember the tuck shop across the road which became the transport cafe,still there when i went to Canada in 1970.The people that lived in lodge i knew the name Hunts

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2013 at 1:45 PM, mick2me said:

Is the small road at 11 oclock Spring Terrace.

What line does the motorway now take?

Hi Mick you said you put your girl friend on the bus at Mount Street for Nuthall,can you remember her name and where she lived as i lived in Nuthall until 1970.