The only school I have attended that I did not object to! I was at Shelto up to 1954 and wonder whether anyone else on the board went there? I can remember Mrs Reynolds the teacher in the reception class; she was a really kind and gentle person, and apart from learning to read and write with chalk and slate, there was a lot of playing with wooden bricks and making a mess in the sand pit! The Headmistress was Miss Lewis, a real enthusiastic teacher who made a great impression on many of us thee, and I believe she remained at Shelto for many years.

The main school hall was used for assembly and I also recall Schools Radio being played for us to exercise to and to supposedly develop a sense of imagination with having to be a growing tree or race around as a horse! Anyone else recall these radio programmes?

Around the hall always were displayed Shell Posters showing birds, depictions of the seasons, wild flowers and trees etc. I moved on to Huntingdon St junior for just a couple of terms before the family moved out to Ruddington.

Anyone else have memories of Shelto?

• 7 years later...

Blimey, just found this post whilst looking at 'activity ', and the photo invokes a lot of pleasant memories as it was the only school i can remember, that I enjoyed going to. Somewhere in the back of my mind, miss Lewis rings a bell. By coincidence, my father went there as well. Also, my father and myself went to Huntingdon st juniors. Not at the same time, I might add.

I went to Shelton st school,from 1947 then went to Huntington st school. We lived right opposite the school and I can remember going to first aid classes with my dad. I remember Mrs Reynolds and I see her in a flowery smock, thinking about it she might have been pregnant.

At Huntington school I remember taking a bat in a jam jar that my dad had caught when it flew into the police station when he was on nights shift.

Another memory jogged, thanks CT, the little cut through at the end of the school, down to Northumberland st was where I tripped whilst running and ended up doing a somersault down the steps. Ended up with cuts and grazes on just about every part of my body, using everyone of the steps to acquire them. Yet I don't remember that there were too many steps !!.

If I remember correctly there were three sets of steps, so a pretty painful tumble!

The cut through was Princess Terrace and on the left hand side at the bottom of the steps was a Tenants pub, The Princess Royal.

• Like 1