Nottingham London Road Low Level Railway Station

The fact is that once the Great Northern trains from Grantham had been moved to Victoria, London Road Low Level was far too big for the passenger traffic on offer. The attached link gives sample timetables at least as far back as 1922 showing that the station serviced 5 trains a day each way (plus one extra inbound only on Wednesdays), and sufficiently spread out that they could all have been dealt with at one platform face. My mum could remember walking in the area in the late 1930s, and taking the train to Harby & Stathern, and I gathered that even by then it was like the line that time forgot !

http://www.ribblevalleyrail.co.uk/Midlands.htm#Leicester1

For years it was a parcel and goods depot for British Rail, closing in the 1970's

My father moved to the signal box there when Victoria station closed, and in my garden today, I still have a descendent of a butterfly bush that grew near his old signal box when he worked there................

As lads we used to catch the train from Daybrook station to the High Level station when going to the match, Nott's or Forest.

Dennis

• 1 month later...

I remember those days, 1957/58.

Was 5d return. For trainspotters, an added bonus as we passed Colwick sheds.

The walk along London Road to the City ground was somewhat noisy, with rattles, painted with the team names. Red & white.

I never met up with any hooliganism. At the ground we did have banter with a guy who had never missed a home game for about 30 years, can't remember his name. One friend, who was not very interested in football, collected coke bottles and got the deposit back. He went on to be very successful in business.

A few years ago, whist driving along the same route, I saw football supporters, with a policeman every few yards. Apart from a few scarves and headgear, they did not look anything like the old days. Looked more like a 'march'.

• Upvote 1