Memories of Victoria station

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took a girl home after meeting her at a dance and arranged to meet her the following evening. I was supposed to meet her outside the Victoria Station at 1930. However, I was over a hour late and was

This is by the well-known Nottingham photographer Frank Stephenson. It sums it up perfectly.

#19 Siddha I remember catching the ramblers train to Derbyshire on one occasion with a group of friends. One of us thought it would be a good idea but I'm not convinced it was our thing we were all i

Have a good trawl around on here, I don't recall there being any timetables (I'm sure if Firbeck reads this he'll find one he 'liberated' in the past.) but there's loads of other juicy stuff , maps , pictures etc

beef, try this site out which I found in the latest edition of Bygones: " Victoria Station memories "......There is an article by a guy who has a passion for the station, Nick Willis, even though he is only 20! .......His site is: homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.willis

Just a little off-tangent....Is it true that there is a plan to re-open the tunnel between Victoria Centre and where it emerges at Weekday Cross?

Or have I got that wrong?

I was intrigued to see that they are re-building the bridge over Midland Station for the tram system.

The perfectly suitable Great Central bridge with it's route to the Trent crossing at Wilford wasn't removed that long ago !

I was intrigued to see that they are re-building the bridge over Midland Station for the tram system.

The perfectly suitable Great Central bridge with it's route to the Trent crossing at Wilford wasn't removed that long ago !

So what's new?...we're talking councils and planners here... :dry: their idea of looking ahead is a week on Friday.

Just a little off-tangent....Is it true that there is a plan to re-open the tunnel between Victoria Centre and where it emerges at Weekday Cross?

Or have I got that wrong?

Wouldn't be surprised if some Consultant/Expert was to come up with such an idea. I think it's been thrown around a few times, although I believe that the tunnel is now full of pipelines and things for stuff like like water/gas/district heating etc.

Nah...that's too sensible and obvious

bridge_zpsd8b88e0e.jpg

• Upvote 1

It was demolished in early 1980.................33 years ago.....................well before the trams were even drempt of ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27045884@N05/4799400438/

Plus most of the route to where the bridre was is covered in housing.

Actually it was the massive girder bridge over Midland station that I was referring to Bub.

http://prints.leics.gov.uk/bridge_over_nottingham_midland_station/print/671295.html

I guess it didn't seem so long ago as the 80's that it was removed !

Anyway, we've discussed the flattening of the area and Arkwright Street elsewhere.

What does seem apparent is that the planners don't see the value of infrastructure at all, they just pull things down, sell them off and build more crap. (Or leave things derelict for years on end).

As regards the Weekday Cross tunnel, I know the pipes from the incinerator go through there to Victoria Centre but they don't take up that much room. I didn't for one minute think they were going to re-open the railway line, but I did hear something about the possible linking of Broad Marsh with Victoria Centre using the tunnel.

(Maybe just a walkway).

There's always a lot of talk bandied about, I know.

That's why I come here to see if Notts folk know aaht abaht it.

Broad Marsh to Victoria Centre walkway?

What's wrong with Bridlesmith Gate - High Street - Clumber Street?

Known as the Golden mile.(Lots of shops on the way)

The Nottingham Contemporary (pictured post nine) blocks the tunnel mouth at the Weekday Cross end of the Thurland Street Tunnel.

IMO, for that very reason that tunnel is only suitable for vehicle use.

Shame it was not preserved at the time of Building VC.

Imagine the tram running through it with platforms under Vic Centre?

IMO, for that very reason that tunnel is only suitable for vehicle use.

The Nottingham Contemporary (pictured post nine) blocks the tunnel mouth at the Weekday Cross.

If you go up the steps at the end of Cliff Road(Narrow Marsh) you will see what I mean these steps are where Middle Hill & Garners Hill would have been.

You will have to be 50+ to have any realistic memories of Victoria Station closed 1967.......................45 years ago later this year.

I liked spotting at the "Victoria" in preference to the "Midland"

:biggrin: I've plenty of memories of the wonderful Victoria Station: waiting on the platforms to leave for holidays, going on school trips, train spotting, even used to buy a platform ticket and go have a cup of tea in the waiting room sometimes.......

Must cumulate my memoirs on the stunning piece of Victorian architecture that once was. :biggrin:

I am trying to see or even get hold of some old rail timetables for vic station, can anyone point me in the right direction, i have tried the normal channels on the web. thanks.

Try this for size http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.willis/

Go to the station info & history bit, and you will find a series of Great Central route (passenger) timetables from different years.

I also referred to the following in a recent post on London Road Low Level station. It has some interesting timetables for the lines into Victoria (looks under the Midlands section), and also the main line to Marylebone for Summer 1902.

And here's the link that I then didn't post - duhhh! http://www.ribblevalleyrail.co.uk/Old%20Timetables.htm

In reply to mick2me (#15), I think it would have been fantastic to have had the tram going to Victoria Centre and Broad Marsh. Both of them are struggling through these difficult times so what a difference it would have made. You could leave your car at home and save money by not paying extortionate car park prices, plus the fuel for the journey. Shoppers would have flocked to the two centre's and you have to ask yourself, why do the members of Nottstalgia always come up with good planning ideas whilst the suits on the Nottingham City Council, on fat wages and expenses, always seem to be brain dead?.