Home made food!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so hungry i could eat a Horse, just nipping to Tesco.

You mean there is something hotter than Vesta

What's the mane attraction?

Cant believe my poor neighbor, rushed to hospital after eating a burger last night. Its said their in a stable condition. I checked the ones i had in the fridge and their off!!

A mate of mine is in hospital after eating Daffodil bulbs, he should be out by Spring.

• Upvote 1

TRACES of horse meat have been found in burgers on sale in some of the UK and Ireland's busiest supermarkets, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) says.

Scientific tests on beef products sold in Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Iceland and Dunnes Stores uncovered low levels of the animal's DNA.

Professor Alan Reilly, chief executive of the FSAI, said there was no health risk but also no reasonable explanation for horse meat to be found.

"The products we have identified as containing horse DNA and/or pig DNA do not pose any food safety risk and consumers should not be worried," he said.

According to the research by the FSAI, one sample of burger goods, Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers, showed about 29 per cent horse meat relative to beef content.

"Nothing to worry about?...................horse sh*t."

what made these companies use horse meat in the first place? surely horse meat goes into dog food doesn't it? iv seen people going crazy about this on social media sites, but what I don't get is I guarantee more than half, if not all, have take aways at some point, in my opinion one of the worst foods because you have no idea what your really eating. who says that pork you ordered from the Chinese is actually pork and not the local cat? I don't see them complaining when their ordering.

Bit OT,

Many years ago my brother and his mates used to frequent a chinese near Canning circus, on Alfreton road I think, After a particular heavy Friday nights boozing they went to thier usual haunt and had a sit down meal, while eating it one of his mates started choking on a small bone he had swallowed.

He was pretty bad so was taken to hospital where the offending bone was removed under anaesthetic, it was found to be a cat bone !

Sounds unthinkable but it did happen, be in the mid 60's.

:biggrin: Made myself a load of corned beef stew to last over the miserable weather conditions; and though I say so myself it is more than worthy of a Michelin Star. :biggrin:

PS: Yes, corned beef stew could easily qualify as Cordon Bleu cookery if made with love and care. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

People in the UK seem to get upset when they hear of horses being used for food. Why is this?. They take their children and grandchildren to places like White Post Farm and Stonebridge City Farm and feed the young animals. They fall in love with the little lambs with the loveable eyes and laugh as they frolic before them. It's the same with the cows and small calfs but they have no problem eating them. To me, it's just like a cannibal saying "I love eating the French but I get really upset when cannibals eat the Italians".

:biggrin: Hi Mick, yes Corned Beef Hash could likewise qualify for 'Cordon Bleu' food; especially when plenty of butter and chopped onion, plus seasoning - salt and pepper, even a dash of Lea and Perrins- are added to the mashed potato and corned beef. I also like to sprinkle grated cheese and a few knobs of butter on the top, before popping the hash under the grill to brown.

And then there's 'Corned Beef Pie': pieces of boiled potato, onion and corned beef - plus seasoning - in between shortcrust pastry; delicious hot - gravy made with the stock of the veggies - or cold. :biggrin:

PS: I bought a load of chicken liver from Marks and Spencer's today; any ideas on what I can make with them to create a dish with that extra something? :biggrin: