Home made food!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so hungry i could eat a Horse, just nipping to Tesco.

You mean there is something hotter than Vesta

What's the mane attraction?

This is the recipe I use......... Ingredients:

• 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 1/2 cup of peas (I use frozen ones and just cook them as normal before adding to the fritter mix)
  • 200g cooked corned beef (diced)
Method:
  • Beat the eggs and milk together.
  • Slowly add the flour (you can vary the thickness of the batter by adding more or less flour. The thicker the batter, the thicker the fritter just like pancakes)
  • Add the peas and corned beef to the mixture and combine. (You can also add corn or cooked carrot if you would like)
  • Heat oil in a fry pan and then place in spoonfuls of the mixture. Cook on both sides until brown. (Just like pancakes)
817-grey.gif

I'm on my phone so it won't let me qoute what Michael booth said. I used to work on stonebridge farm, I used to assist the disabled and work with the animals. I'd like to point out that their saddle back pigs were intact brought up at stonebridge and sold to become meat. I wasn't disgusted when the horse meat thing came out, I eat meat, I dont care where it comes from (within reason) the animal died to provide use with a meal, the least we can do is not waste the meat.

• Upvote 1

funny you should mention corn beef hash, was saying to my partner I had it as a kid once around a friends house, I remember it had baked beans in it, I might give it ago at making it and see if I srill like it. my mum refused to make it, she refused to make me bread and butter pudding too... used to call it 'punishment food' lol

Like Pixie and Compo, I love bread pudding. My mother-in-law used to make a really good one and would make one especially for me. My wife sometimes makes them now and I always enjoy them. I've bought bread puddings from cake shops but they never taste as good as the home made ones.

I have been trying to find these cakes for ages. Nelson Squares made out of cake leftovers.

I used to get these from the cake shop nr Trent Bridge bus depot in the mid 60s.

And here's another recipe for Nelson Squares

Does anyone remember these flat square cakes?

v&b pudding is lovely with a couple of handfulls of alcohol soaked raisins and served with custard. yumm! made a home made parsley sauce earlier for tea tonight, having salmon fillets for the first time in ages, nothing fancy with them though, bit of mash and some veg.

I recently discovered that I am allergic to raisins and have to carry an epi-pen! No big deal, I was never fond of b&b pudding for some reason. Rhubarb crumble with custard on the other hand...

• Upvote 1

I can now remember some kind of steamed sponge pudding cookes in a small mixing bowl with either syrup or sugar in the bottom.

And also remember eating sugar sandwiches!

Yep - generically a "steamed sponge pudding" but with several variations - treacle, jam and the dreaded raisins - to make it "spotted dick"!

• Upvote 1

I have been trying to find these cakes for ages. Nelson Squares made out of cake leftovers.

I used to get these from the cake shop nr Trent Bridge bus depot in the mid 60s.

And here's another recipe for Nelson Squares

Does anyone remember these flat square cakes?

Strange that you should refer to the bus depot. My mum always referred to Nelson Squares as "tram-stoppers."

Love bread pudding with a good bit of spice. Heavy stuff though. An aunt used to put any remaining bits out for the birds, who seemed quite enthusiastic about this. My uncle reckoned that afterwards it was like watching Lancasters take off with a full bomb load!

Another old favourite of my mums was bread and jam pudding. Basically, you filled a greased pudding basin with overlapping pieces of bread, spread with butter and jam, cut so that they roughly fit the basin. Then you poured custard over so that it soaked through the lot. Finally you put it in the oven and baked it.

Just making a very large cauldron of something!

I can't make my mind up what to call it yet , it's got two leftover pieces of gammon a great lump of left over Brisket and a big piece of left over Pork too, (I know it sounds like a lot of left over meat, but I came up with this great idea last week of defrosting the chest freezer and using up what is in there ....LOL)

I've boiled up some taters, carrots, onion, and lobbed the lot in together with some tomato and garlic purees. Also in there is a stock pot some mixed Italian seasoning , balsamic vinigar Magis seasoning and the left over gravy. If I'm still alive tomorrow I'll tell you what I named it

Snow is falling fast... -1.9c

I'm mekkin a curry.

The aformentioned Canadian Steaks @ Morrisons here £1.50 not 80p.

ASDA's own make £1 for pack of 8.

:biggrin:Bread and Butter Pudding; ever tried it Venetian (Venice) style? Now there's exquisite. :biggrin:

What's that then? very watery??......... :laugh:

Snow is falling fast... -1.9c

I'm mekkin a curry.

The aformentioned Canadian Steaks @ Morrisons here £1.50 not 80p.

ASDA's own make £1 for pack of 8.

Good call that, I never thought of putting curry powder in it !

As for the Canadian steaks , it was about a year ago and at 80p for 10, I bought quite a few boxes ! And as I mentioned I'm defrosting the freezer (Or rather trying to) and that jogged my memory, (Thinking about it they may have been £1.60 buy one get one free to make them 80p)