Anybody had a 'result' lately ?

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I don't think you're getting the point of this BK. The guests will be elegant people, the men in dinner jackets, the ladies in cocktail dresses, sipping the finest wines and eating canapés and cheese portions from a silver tray proffered by the butler. It's not a spit and sawdust do with beer and slices of Dairylea!

Dont forget to take all the Aldi labels off.

• Like 1
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following the oil delivery lorry scraping the corner off my little museum roof on Wednesday (Photos in "How's Your Day"), the company asked me to get an estimate for repairs. As luck would have it the

We’ve been waiting for weeks for a large rug we’d seen in John Lewis to be back in stock, waiting patiently for an email informing us that it’s available again.  Today we decided to go into the shop f

Very many years ago I found a wallet containing about £200 and credit cards in a phone box at the Midland Station. I handed it in and left my details with the Railway Police on Queen’s Drive. After ab

That does it PhilipMayfield, I'm going to sort out a picture wiv me in me dinner suit, just to show I'm proper.

I can drink me wine in me mug wiv the best of 'em. And another thing, I can carry a teatowel over me arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in answer to had a result lately. How about not had a result. I have a few cassette tapes with recordings of long gone relatives talking about their early life. There are some of my mum and one of my maternal grandfather talking about his childhood and of joining the army and fighting in France in WW1. As a lock down project I decided to transcribe the tapes. It’s been slow going as the arthritis I have makes my hands stiff and painful and additionally you have to keep going back a bit to catch what is being said and then wind back too far and finish up listening to parts you’ve already typed. To help the process I bought on eBay a transcribing tape machine with foot pedal. The great thing about this is the foot pedal. Press to play and when you stop the tape automatically rewinds a few seconds in a flash so when you resume play you pick up where you’re at. It’s a great help. Only cheap, perfect condition and works well with one exception. The power supply, one of those plug in wall blocks has a fault in the small plug that fits in the back of the machine is dodgy. By wiggling the wire and getting it ‘just so’ it does work but it’s a pain and recently getting worse being very temperamental. The plug to the machine is not a standard type and unique the these machines.  So I saw another similar machine on eBay with the same power supply listed as spares repairs as ‘no means to test it’. So not really being bothered about the actual machine I just want the power supply I bought it for just under a tenner posted. It arrived yesterday and is completely dead. Not a peep. I’ve found that it’s the power supply that is dead. There is no reason at all that the seller could not have plugged it in and seen it doesn’t power on. In fact I’d put money on that he/she did just that. Accepting it’s kind of my fault, I took a chance but I would be happier if the seller had said, ‘doesn’t power’ on rather than ‘no means to test it’.
I’ve messaged the seller. Not a lot of money but I’m annoyed. Ironically the machine works fine with ‘my’ power supply when you try it and it’s in the mood to work. 

Hard cheese Lets. Yet another example of "buyer beware", when using eBay. Don't  you know if anyone can change the socket on the machine, with a compatible plug? Surely somebody could adapt it for you. Best of luck mate.

4 new chains arrived today for my Husky 350 chainsaw. Cutting tree roots out destroys chains even when soil and stones are removed - there is always bits of grit remaining in the roots. Sharpening chains that have been on tree roots does not work because the tooth clearance wears away. A stump grinder is not an option either at this stage because I want to cut out an 18/20" cube to do something creative with.

Phil - I have an electric sharpener but a waste of time when the teeth are smoothed off. 4 new chains £26 delivered is the way I go when tree roots are being worked on. A fraction of the cost of getting someone in to do it or to hire a stump grinder. Must have accumulated about 20 dead chains over the years. 

PP I have posted a creative idea for your tree stump on Facebook messenger.  I couldn’t post it on here

• Like 1

I have two saws presently in operation, I use 20" bars. I sharpen my own chains, I have a pro sharpener, I don't allow anyone else to sharpen my chains.

Your chains will last until the "teeth" are almost worn right down, but you must remember to grind the depth gauges to specs!! OR the chain will just "rub" the wood. The depth gauges are those curved pieces between the cutters. A depth gauge gauge can be bought cheaply, Stihl used to include one with the tool kit with every new saw, not anymore.

I use a Husqy 355 rancher, changed the engine for an Italian Meteor engine as the old engine became impossible to start, even Arny would have had trouble pulling that one. I completely wrecked one starter, the mounting mouldings broke, another one I stripped the rope clutch assembly. NO decompression valve on them. Common problem with that brand, high compression from new, and a small amount of carbon build up and the compression gets too high to pull start the motor.

My other is a Stihl MS311, semi pro saw, used for hundreds of hours now, had a couple of issues with it over it's life, but on the whole a good reliable saw.

I tried the hand grinder/sharpeners years back, useless, the  small grinding tips get clogged too quickly, so went for a professional grinder designed for the job, when I go out tree felling or wood sizing, I usually carry several sharpened chains.

I use my chains until it's no longer feasible to sharpen them, they usually last a few years.

BUT, you have to grind/file the depth gauges every so often, or it's like a hand saw with no set to the teeth!!

Phil, definitely not that!    I didn't  post it on here because  the video only gave me the option to share it on Messenger.  It was nothing to do with the content!

I've seen a couple of different makes of those around, but I think I'll stick to regrinding them myself, I have full control with how much metal I take off each time I sharpen. A tree a pro felled in front of a house had nails embedded in it, actually 8" spikes, the tree must have been a couple of hundred years old, been hit several times by lightning too. Evident by charred wood within the trunk. NOW, that took the edge off the chains in short time, but I did hit a couple of old nails too. Pretty common here in trees along property and fence lines and in towns.

I run about a dozen chains, that way they I don't have to mess around too much when I'm out cutting wood away from home.

I've got two chainsaws to rebuild when I can find the time, one Husqvarna and a Stihl, I bought new "jugs" pistons rings and con rods ready for the job.

14 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

Well in answer to had a result lately. How about not had a result. I have a few cassette tapes with recordings of long gone relatives talking about their early life. There are some of my mum and one of my maternal grandfather talking about his childhood and of joining the army and fighting in France in WW1. As a lock down project I decided to transcribe the tapes. It’s been slow going as the arthritis I have makes my hands stiff and painful and additionally you have to keep going back a bit to catch what is being said and then wind back too far and finish up listening to parts you’ve already typed. To help the process I bought on eBay a transcribing tape machine with foot pedal. The great thing about this is the foot pedal. Press to play and when you stop the tape automatically rewinds a few seconds in a flash so when you resume play you pick up where you’re at. It’s a great help. Only cheap, perfect condition and works well with one exception. The power supply, one of those plug in wall blocks has a fault in the small plug that fits in the back of the machine is dodgy. By wiggling the wire and getting it ‘just so’ it does work but it’s a pain and recently getting worse being very temperamental. The plug to the machine is not a standard type and unique the these machines.  So I saw another similar machine on eBay with the same power supply listed as spares repairs as ‘no means to test it’. So not really being bothered about the actual machine I just want the power supply I bought it for just under a tenner posted. It arrived yesterday and is completely dead. Not a peep. I’ve found that it’s the power supply that is dead. There is no reason at all that the seller could not have plugged it in and seen it doesn’t power on. In fact I’d put money on that he/she did just that. Accepting it’s kind of my fault, I took a chance but I would be happier if the seller had said, ‘doesn’t power’ on rather than ‘no means to test it’.
I’ve messaged the seller. Not a lot of money but I’m annoyed. Ironically the machine works fine with ‘my’ power supply when you try it and it’s in the mood to work. 

What a wonderfully insightful thing, wish I had done the same and captured my relatives memories on tape.

Get them digitalised!

The machine your using sounds like a form of Dictaphone, also remember a few hi-fi decks with that marker feature,

Faulty and unique power packs..over the years iv'e used blue tack, part's of matches, rubber bands, and silver foil and more.

The UNIVERSAL serial bus? Lost the plot when it became micro,

Digitise & back up..  worn out tapes and splicing is a nightmare!

Good Luck..

8 hours ago, MargieH said:

PP I have posted a creative idea for your tree stump on Facebook messenger.  I couldn’t post it on here

Thanks for the video link Margie. I have seen chainsaw sculpture a few times at festivals in France. I won't be doing anything artistic. My first thought was to do a 'self sculpture' of my brain. A solid block of wood would be an ideal material!

• Like 1

Letsavagoo has reminded me that a couple of years ago I came across a shoe box of cassette tapes that I’d brought from my Dad’s house when we were clearing it out in 2013.  They both enjoyed music and Mum taped stuff off the radio but one tape made me ‘well-up’ a bit ........  over the music my parents are chatting to each other, no doubt they’d forgotten that they were supposed to be quiet while taping!   I lost my Mum in 1988 and my Dad in 2013, but I’ll be hanging on to that cassette tape 

• Like 3

My dad used to record off the BBC radiowith the likes of Pete Murray and Jack Jackson and Carol Carr after he recorded them he would edit them and he would introduce the artists. About 30 years ago he transferred them to cds i play them when i am working in the garage and hear my dads voice they are priceless, hopefully cd players dont become obsolete.

My brother bought an old Grundig TK5 tape Deck from the late 1950s/60s.  It had a reel of tape which included some Peter Sellers stuff ('Balham.. Gateway to the South'..and other nonsense, but also a recording of a girl and her friend playing piano.  They were from Attenborough. They sounded like early adolescents and so would almost certainly be around 70 now.  The tape player died, but the reel of tape is still in the garage.  I'd love to get the little recording swapped to digital and see if it could be played on local radio and maybe find the young ladies who made it.

DJ i bought a few years ago a cd which is called the Best of British comedy it has 3 discs i assume produced by DISKY and theres number at the side BX795132 LC 11955. Belham is on there narrated by Peter Sellars plus another 59 songs from comedians including Spike Milligan, Al Read and the Goons.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

who made it.

Bought a reel to reel, in the late 90's at a car boot..Appealed because it could record.

Had about 40 reels, only ever listened to about 25 before machine died, mostly EMI and BASF, Bus Stop by the Hollies on one, roughly 61 to 66, still have the tapes, love to know who recorded this stuff, talk about a time capsule!

Edit..sounded like a Bristol accent..love to return them, to where they belong..

I used to like recording "Sounds of the 60s" on my first cassette recorder, a Philips machine that had like a joystick in the centre, shaped a bit like an inverted "T". Push up to play, right to fast fwd and left to rewind. Never cared for Brian Mathew doing the program as he used to rabbit on too much, usually over the intros. Best presenter was Craig Douglas, he told the the title and let it get on with it. That must have been in the early 70s. Still got those tapes, just haven't got around to digitalising them yet, (either on cd or memory stick).