Anybody had a 'result' lately ?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following the oil delivery lorry scraping the corner off my little museum roof on Wednesday (Photos in "How's Your Day"), the company asked me to get an estimate for repairs. As luck would have it the

We’ve been waiting for weeks for a large rug we’d seen in John Lewis to be back in stock, waiting patiently for an email informing us that it’s available again.  Today we decided to go into the shop f

Very many years ago I found a wallet containing about £200 and credit cards in a phone box at the Midland Station. I handed it in and left my details with the Railway Police on Queen’s Drive. After ab

YES ! Had to nip to the Co-op on Arnold Rd yesterday for bread and milk. I walked on the grass outside the bookies next door and screwed up and grubby in front of me was a £5 note. In one swift movement, I crouched down and grabbed it , hoping that nobody had noticed. On reaching home I slid it into my wallet, and had a big smile on my face!

• Upvote 2

YES ! Had to nip to the Co-op on Arnold Rd yesterday for bread and milk. I walked on the grass outside the bookies next door and screwed up and grubby in front of me was a £5 note. In one swift movement, I crouched down and grabbed it , hoping that nobody had noticed. On reaching home I slid it into my wallet, and had a big smile on my face!

Yep. I would most likely have done the same. But it's hardly 'Christian' is it?

Col

I found a 'fiver' way back. Around the late fifties.

I was told it had been reported to the Police, but it sat in a glass at the top of a cupboard in our house for ages.

Back then it was more than a week's wages for many.

Then it was gone.

If you quote me the number Col, you can have it !

• 1 month later...

I'm on my last full night of my jollies fly @ 8pm Sunday walks into this bar "the star bar" just as they are starting "sticky 13s'  buy the last deck of cards I only go & win it ding dang do! Bobs your uncle & your Dad, Happy ucking Christmas, praise the Lord hallelujah, come to Daddy x 

• Upvote 1

Well done. Cherish your winnings and don't fritter it away. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Canada has recalled 6000 1,14 litre bottles of Bombay Sapphire gin that due to a production error was 77% ABV instead of the usual 40% ABV.

Apparently it was bottled in the UK. A customer alerted authorities after realising that the "taste profile was off"

I would have just put less gin and more tonic in it. How many on here would return a recalled bottle for having too much alcohol? I would have called it a result and gone out to get some more.

• Upvote 1

Central heating not working so called 'the man'. I can come out after bank holiday, the charge is £85 per half hour. Wow, but it's freezing so went ahead. There's a loose wire in the boiler that was reconnected but on testing found a small gas pressure drop (1mb). Leak traced to probable pinhole in flexible pipe feeding hob. How much to repair? £504 sir. Well it's a gas leak it's either fixed there and then or the gas is capped off until it is repaired. OK go ahead. New pipe work fitted, tested and... there's still a gas leak! It's now nearly midnight. Leak traced to the bleddy outside meter!

National grid to the rescue to sort out meter and finally at 2am gas is back on and I'm almost £600 poorer.

You call a bricklayer a 'brickie', an electrician a 'sparky', a joiner a 'chippie' but a plumber you'd better call 'sir'!

This is not the sort of 'result' I was looking for though no doubt 'sir' thought it  great.

#114,  are you sure he was a gas fitter?? Sounds more like a Lawyer you hired.

• Upvote 1

#116 Rogue would fit more. A 1mbar drop is not actionable, depended on the size of meter up to 6mbar is OK if there is no smell of gas.......................

£85 is reasonable for the first half hour because of travelling time and other expenses, but £504 for a new flex hose is bloody daylight robbery, I daren't tell you how much we charge you'd be locked up for murder.

• Upvote 1

Because he said the flexi was the culprit and likely to happen again  I agreed to have it piped in copper tube.

It's not £85 for just the first half hour, it's for every half hour or part of. If after 5pm it goes up to £110 (£220 pr hr) but as the call was made before 5 they kept the pre 5 price throughout.

The meter was attended to by National Grid free of charge.

There was no smell of gas anywhere but the NG guy detected a weeping joint on the meter (outside meter box). He put it down to the sealing compound hardening over time. The drop was half a millibar after three minutes and 1 millibar after ten.

^^^^^^^^^Strange most manufacturers recommend flex connections for hobs and free standing cookers. However piping in copper tube is acceptable but look at the cost! 15mm tube is less than £3 a metre plus say a fiver for fittings, plus labour, even I a 70year old can't get up/down would wrap it in an hour.

As to the test there are quite a few variations dependant on meter size, pipe size and volume, whether the system is new or existing with appliances connected and most importantly whether there is a smell of gas.

If we take a standard size house with a standard E6 meter with no smell of gas and 28mm pipework or less the actual test is done over 2 minutes after five minutes of preparation, allowed drop in that 2 minutes is 8mbar. In a larger property with a U6 meter the allowed drop is 4mbar.

My best advice don't call that bugger again he had you over.

And for information as I am a gas engineer I am not sir but .....................HRH......:jumping:

• Upvote 2

We needed a new front window. It's a biggish one at about 11' wide 4' high.

A local fairly well known firm knocked asking for the job so I agreed to see their 'representative'.

So.. I did a bit of research online and came up with prices around £12-1500.

Chap came and we agreed a price of £1400. Mrs Col paid him a £300 deposit.. which I wasn't too happy about.  I made very clear to the chap that I was going to get a couple more quotes. He reassured me we had the right to cancel and would get our deposit back if necessary.

A few days later it dawned on me to contact the other local firm who had fitted two Rock Doors and a window for a good price.  Their chap (Thew company owner..) did a quick measure and said  "£690."

I was gobsmacked.. but also persuaded because they had done a really nice job on the Rock Doors etc.

So.. got Mrs Col to call first firm. to cancel and the bank and stop the £300 deposit to first firm.  She did so.

Couple of days later £300 disappeared from our account.  Mrs Col phoned the bank.  They admoitted they'd failed to stop the cheque, reimbursed the £300 and also threw in £50 'for our trouble'.  Nice.

A couple of days later we received a cheque for £ 300 from the first Wndow Co.

Mrs Col rang the bank and they just said.  'Don't worry... just put it in your account'.

So £1400 became £690.

£690 - £350 = £340.

£340 for a large double glazed window.  Result!!!

• Upvote 3
  • 4 months later...

Went to the local chemical supplier yesterday and asked for 1Kg of Copper Sulphate.  The man weighed out a kilo for me but couldn't find a price for it on his list (A pile of pieces of foolscap paper with prices written in pencil) so he ended up giving it to me for FREE. To buy online it costs £12.40/kg + postage.  RESULT!

Just remembered a second result from yesterday.  Looking in Tesco's scavenge pile I found a  pack of Deli corned beef reduced from £1.59 to 8p - RESULT!

• Like 2

I'm not scared of botulinus - I'm from Nottingham..... I'm dead tough, me!  Ate the bully last night and enjoyed every gobful.  Made corned beef and home-grown beefsteak tomato sandwiches for my supper.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1