Anybody had a 'result' lately ?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following the oil delivery lorry scraping the corner off my little museum roof on Wednesday (Photos in "How's Your Day"), the company asked me to get an estimate for repairs. As luck would have it the

We’ve been waiting for weeks for a large rug we’d seen in John Lewis to be back in stock, waiting patiently for an email informing us that it’s available again.  Today we decided to go into the shop f

Very many years ago I found a wallet containing about £200 and credit cards in a phone box at the Midland Station. I handed it in and left my details with the Railway Police on Queen’s Drive. After ab

Only Ron Calvert rings a bell with those names, Phil, he was my boss. I left in 1969, so the others may have come along later? Alan Parr passed away a few years ago. Did you work there?

Yes, I think the others came  later. PCS did my company’s data processing but that would be from about 1973 onwards. They were at Cawley House Canal St. when I knew them. They became The first Apple dealers in Nottingham and Ken and Rod went on to start KRCS, computer services, a company that’s still active.

Spotted a pair of White tailed eagles in Wester Ross yesterday.  Disturbed them whilst they were tucking in to a dead sheep carcass up a mountain - now that's what I call a result!

• Like 2

Phil, when I started at PCS they were in the early stages and the office was in a Victorian building that had previously been a house, on Cranmer St. Then we moved to the office block above the bowling alley on Barker Gate. Then after about a year moved to Crawley House on Canal St. This was handy for ne as hubby worked directly  behind me on Cliff Rd. It must have been quite a job moving computers etc, twice.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Brew said:

I entered the Intel sweepstake recently (https://game.intel.com/8086sweepstakes/gb/) and apparently I've won an Intel i7 8086k CPU worth about £400! An email tells me it will be delivered around 15th October. Thought it was a scam at first but it seems genuine, if it is...……. result! 

Whoopee ! It arrived this morning, nothing to pay, free, gratis...…….   result! 

Somehow you just know there's a 'but' to this don't you... I need a new motherboard too. It will fit and work in my existing board but to take advantage of this latest iteration it needs upgrading. Still a £400 CPU for zilch is still a result right?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Following the oil delivery lorry scraping the corner off my little museum roof on Wednesday (Photos in "How's Your Day"), the company asked me to get an estimate for repairs. As luck would have it the damage was superficial. I reported to their ops manager that the damage was superficial and that the roof repair man could fix it for £60; did they want a written estimate before work could be done? They thanked me for not putting in a huge claim as some would have done and said not to bother with a written estimate but to have the work done and would I mind if they put the money into my oil account instead of going through banks, etc?  I said ok I would pay the man and they could put the money into our account.  Then he said that since I had been honest and helpful in letting them simply credit the account instead of putting them through the paperwork and hassle for a small claim, they would round the figure up to £100 as a gesture of goodwill.......now that's what I call a RESULT!  £40s worth of free heating oil for being honest :)

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Because we have a pole in the garden that carries the electric cables to the property we get a payment of about £10.00 a year from Western Power, just got a letter from them telling me that is going to stop,they want to give me £550.00 one off payment instead, nice one

Rog

• Like 4

It's always been in my garden all the time we've lived here, not a problem,in fact I have a bird nesting box on it with a family of wrens in it this year, it's the only way we get electricity to our place

Rog

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I needed a new bathroom window so got a quote for £400. A quick look on tinternet and supply only was £145. Studied YouTube and it looked easy, did it myself job took me 2 hours and saved £250. 

• Like 1

Everything is hard and difficult if you think that way Den, amazing, once you try it and finish a job how easy it is. Big part of replacing a window is making sure you seal it properly after it's fitted.

The only DIY job I hate, is fitting a door and door frame, looks so easy when you watch a carpenter/joiner fit one. Getting the frame plumb and square is a pain in the butt.

I had people watch me terminate an armoured cable, and they'd say you make it look easy, I'd tell them, after the first couple, it is easy, practice makes perfect.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, denshaw said:

Studied YouTube and it looked easy, did it myself

I did the same with a carburettor the other day, Den. I had stripped and cleaned the carb but the engine didn't quite run right. I thought it might be the governor but then it was working before the carb strip. So I looked it all up on't net and lo! I had put one of the four new gaskets on back-to-front. A quick refit and the job's a gud'n.

• Like 1

I phoned EE from my landline because I can't get an EE signal indoors. I needed to "Top-up" my pay-as you-go phone and they have stopped issuing vouchers in shops. This called for me to use my credit/debit card via the mobile phone so I complained that I can't top-up unless I'm away from home. The bloke on the other end apologized and gave me an instant £10 free top-up. RESULT!

• Like 2

Just had an email from my utility provider (Octopus) that my prices for gas and electric are going down by 4% and 2% respectively as wholesale prices have dropped:jumping:But haven’t the “big 6” just put up their prices?

Lucky you !