Anybody had a 'result' lately ?

Beekay: The clock that was to be replaced (original clock) was a backwards movement clock and was always kept on GMT. That one is now repaired and the new broken one will replace it in the shed when the card is stuck back where it belongs. The second new clock will go into the garage and be run on normal time but of course, backwards. The original one, now about twenty two years old, will find a new home in the polytunnel during Spring, Summr and Autumn but will move to the potting shed during winter.  Living in an old railway station means that one has to keep time - unlike new railways that call half an hour late, on-time!

• Like 1
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following the oil delivery lorry scraping the corner off my little museum roof on Wednesday (Photos in "How's Your Day"), the company asked me to get an estimate for repairs. As luck would have it the

We’ve been waiting for weeks for a large rug we’d seen in John Lewis to be back in stock, waiting patiently for an email informing us that it’s available again.  Today we decided to go into the shop f

Very many years ago I found a wallet containing about £200 and credit cards in a phone box at the Midland Station. I handed it in and left my details with the Railway Police on Queen’s Drive. After ab

30 minutes ago, Compo said:

£90 Brew? How much have you paid in to win that money? I reckon I have won the equivalent of about a thousand quid by not doing the lottery :)

Good point Compo but not doing it (occasionally, when I remember) precludes any  the chance of winning a fortune. It's true I have not made a profit but the fillip from having even a small win puts a smile on my face for the day.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Just happened to log onto Facebook at the right time this afternoon.  Someone on our local community Facebook page was offering 36 hardback Children’s Classics for nothing!  I got in there quick and won them, with our granddaughter in mind.  She’s only 7 and definitely a bit too young but they’ll keep and they’re in perfect condition.  Don’t suppose she’ll be interested for 3 or 4 years but she loves reading.  In fact one of the collection is Gulliver’s Travels and I’m going to read it.  I might enjoy it more this time ....... the last time I HAD to read it was in 1966 for English Literature ‘O’ Level!  I passed thank goodness.  

• Like 1

One Mr Lawrence of 'Bestwood', however, didn't make it all up, and embroidered a bit. My landlady in Eastwood many moons ago was related to Jessie Chambers, the basis for Miriam Leivers in 'Sons and Lovers' and really disliked 'Bert', and said locals recognized themselves in his characters, and hated him for it. Alan Sillitoe, also wrote directly from his own experience of people, as you do, having worked at a certain bike factory for four years when young, and then going on the town on Saturday night and sleeping in the next day. My next post will be about sucking eggs. Ah, good, that lad's just delivered my Daily Star so I can do some proper reading ...

B.

Writers write about what they know and, often, who they know. A good friend of mine is descended from the Barber family. His grandmother was a Barber. The Lamb Close Barbers didn't relish DHL either.

1 hour ago, Baznotinnotts said:

Alan Sillitoe, also wrote directly from his own experience of people, as you do, having worked at a certain bike factory for four years when young, and then going on the town on Saturday night and sleeping in the next day.

When I was doing family history research, I discovered I had relatives who lived at Beaconsfield Terrace during the same time that Sillitoe was living there as a young man. They must've known him as a neighbour, so maybe there's a bit of my history in SNSM.

My paternal great grandfather had 3 surviving children from his first marriage to Ruth Smith at Attenborough Parish Church. One of them was Clara who married John T Jackson. Among their children was Phyllis, whom I met when she was very elderly. She told me that, for a time, she had lived in the same row of houses as the Sillitoe family. Perhaps she appears in his writings, too.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Perhaps she appears in his writings, too.

Ma Bull? She’s the one Arthur shot in the backside with his air gun. It was my wife’s ‘black sheep’ uncle Frank that smashed the window at the undertakers that Sillitoe included in his his famous novel.

Phyllis was very elderly when I knew her but was still quite feisty. I doubt she was Ma Bull but she probably knew who was.

The undertaker's window scene, in the film, was shot in London but it's interesting to know of your wife's family connection, letsavagoo.

• 1 month later...

Definitely got a result today. Checked our mailbox this afternoon, and there was a box in there for me. I had not ordered anything so couldn't think what it was.. Saw the return address label was our friends in E. Sussex. Thought she may have sent a book she'd read and enjoyed. No. Inside was a jigsaw puzzle.  Not any old jigsaw puzzle but a Nottingham one. 1000 pieces which I love, and it's a street map of the city centre.  It's a Jigraphy Cityscape Map. There are 96 cities to chose from. What a surprise,  I am a lucky girl.

• Like 3

That should keep you quiet for a bit Katy!!:)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, katyjay said:

Checked our mailbox this afternoon, and there was a box in there for me

A jigsaw? pah! a mere bagatelle! Opened my e-mail this morning and a gentleman in Nigeria has discovered a fortune just waiting for me to claim it. Once I have it I'm sending two Asian ladies their airfair, poor thing have been dying to meet me for ages...

• Like 3
11 hours ago, katyjay said:

Not any old jigsaw puzzle but a Nottingham one. 1000 pieces which I love, and it's a street map of the city centre.  It's a Jigraphy Cityscape Map. 

And I trust we will be able to see the end result when you've completed it.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:01 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Writers write about what they know and, often, who they know.

This.  ^^^^

Stanley Middleton..another highly rated Nottm novelist did so all the time. I once posted the opening paragraphs of one of his novels (Brazen Prison .. I think) on here. It is a very clear description of Boowul Market Place and environs.

In one of his earliest novels 'Harris's Requiem'.. Middleton gave a very clear description of a school staff room which was obviously based on the one at High Pavement where Stan taught me English for part of the time.  He went on to describe the chaos of schoolboys at the bus stop outside the school on the old No.6 route.  He then described 'Harris's' route down Gainsford Crescent and on down Arnold Road towards Basford and the  Wallis St/Wilton St. area.

Of course the point here is that he was simply borrowing locations. His stories were about people.

Covid swab test results showed negative. I could have been dead by the time the results came through.

My old 16 y/o fishing wagon (X Trail) passed it's mot and nothing needed fixing :biggrin: Just £39 :biggrin::biggrin: Amazing considering the rough tracks I use every week.

• Like 3

Wandering along Skeg seafront this morning & spotted a new iPhone 11 on a seat. As honest as I am went looking for a PC but Mrs C spotted a woman who looked a bit upset & saying she had lost her new phone. She was soon reunited with her phone & me doing my good deed was the result I got today. Plus a hug.

• Like 6

These things are designed to be easy to use BK. In fact anything made by Apple is intuitive and user friendly. Don’t get technophobia! I’ve been an Apple user since they first introduced computers to the U.K. back in the 80’s. I’ve got two Apple computers on my desk and an iPad. Funnily enough I use an Android ‘phone as I think iPhones are a bit pricey!

Hi Phil, I have a couple of tablets (Android) one a 10" Acer using Android 5.1 and the other, a Samsung 8" running Android 9.1. That's all I can tell about them. I also have an Acer, Windows 10 pc that is used for photos printing etc.

In reality, I only use my Doro phone for the occasional txt to folks I know don't have Internet access. Mostly use my little tablet for emails, shopping etc. Don't think I suffer Technophobia. Mind you, my missus would say I'd get withdrawal symptoms if I had no buttons to push. B.

• Like 1