Anybody had a 'result' lately ?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following the oil delivery lorry scraping the corner off my little museum roof on Wednesday (Photos in "How's Your Day"), the company asked me to get an estimate for repairs. As luck would have it the

We’ve been waiting for weeks for a large rug we’d seen in John Lewis to be back in stock, waiting patiently for an email informing us that it’s available again.  Today we decided to go into the shop f

Very many years ago I found a wallet containing about £200 and credit cards in a phone box at the Midland Station. I handed it in and left my details with the Railway Police on Queen’s Drive. After ab

45 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I never drink spirits. Don't like them. 

Me neither.  I just don't get them at all.

When I've tried, I just don't register any taste from them. I absolutely don't understand their appeal. When the subject comes up with people who drink spirits they always say "Oh, try this one, you'll really like it, it's different, not like any others you might've tried." And to me it still tastes the same, just nothing.

And think of the money I've saved over the years.

In reality did any of us really like our first taste of alcohol? For me it was an aquired taste.

Spirits - nasty, liquers? once got totally faceless on something orange flavoured and was violently ill on Sherry when I met my in laws for the first time.

I like certain beers but can't abide the headache that comes with them. Nectar of the gods for me is Taylors Yorkshire tea.

• Like 1

I haven’t had any alcohol for nearly 50

years!  I used to drink quite a lot when I was doing my nurse training ( as did many others!) but I never liked the taste of any of it (not even Babycham, Ben!) .... I just drank because all the other girls did and I quite liked the effects of the alcohol!

• Like 1

Just binned one of those £75 vouchers came with a CWU magazine, doubt I’ve ever had a mouthful of wine?  Would I be right in saying the drinking of wine is a relatively new thing? Can’t recall my Mum or Dad ever drinking it or selling it, they where publicans, don’t think there was any call for it until the late 90s, well not in Radford anyway. 

• Like 1

I was drinking the odd bottle of wine in the late 1960s.  I knew nothing about it.. but I knew what I liked.

Fast forward 50 years and I've learned that I mostly like the red sort..and especially the red sort made using the Merlot grape.

I'm less keen on the red sorts made using the Pinot Noir grape.  I find it tends to produce 'thin' tasting wines, lacking in 'body'.

I'm not much inspired by white wines.. but... any port in a storm.

:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, MargieH said:

I haven’t had any alcohol for nearly 50

years!

It's not compulsory Margie, but like you, I do rather like the effect. ;)

18 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I find it tends to produce 'thin' tasting wines, lacking in 'body'.

Herself likes red wines to be 'chewy', strange to say I know what she means by it...

• Like 1

I'm still considering that one Jim.  I may contact Virgin Wines and see what they have on their 'Chewy' list...  :)

As it is.. I've just polished off a Spanish 'Grenache Syrah', wot I got in a mixed case from Virgin Wines. Almost certainly overpriced, but they deliver free and it saves mixing with the  Hoi Polloy down the local shops...

• Like 1

The only drink I remember my parents having in the house was an old bottle of Sherry & bottle of Stones Ginger Wine, my Dad would neck a raw egg in a glass of Sherry probably if he felt under the weather & remember having a capful of Stones if we had a sore throat? 

My father used to speak of his maternal grandfather, the highly irascible John Samuel Hudson, having 'brandy puff' for breakfast. This was a large glass of brandy with a raw egg!  John Samuel had a bit of a drink problem but was a highly talented lace designer who was paid a good deal in gold sovereigns for his work.  He was quite a character in Beeston, I'm told.

• Like 1

My dad used to make wine from anything, dandelions, elderberries, carrots and many other things. He was strictly teetotal so he never tried his wine. He took a bottle into the police station when he was on nights and his colleagues drank some. The following night on duty all of them said  they were absolutely legless. I used to drink when I was younger but didn't really like it and never knew what to drink. But everyone did it and you didn't like to be left out. I started to like wine when we came to live here. We are in the heart of vineyards where most of the famous Italian wines come from. I prefer red but don't drink it in the summer. I rarely drink white either in the summer. Spumante and moscato only when there's a celebration then it's only a sip .

• Like 1

The only time we had drink in the house was Christmas.  a bottle of port (for port and lemon which I was allowed a small one) and sherry. The rest of the year,  nothing. Mam would go out a couple of nights a week for a beer or Guinness, dad was T.T. When I was old enough to drink, and out with my mates, we would have a barley wine. Horrible tasting stuff, and 1 would last all night, but we thought it sophisticated to drink it. But I didn't like beer or spirits either. A Babysham was a treat though. Wine was never an option, unless you went to Yates, which I never did. I still drink very little, we keep drink in, but neither of us bother to drink it till someone visits. When I worked behind the bar in the clubhouse at the bowling alley,  I would pour spirits at arms length so I didn't have to smell them!

• Like 1

At home, my dad always had a port at Christmas - my mum was TT and said that just the smell made her feel a bit ‘wuzzy’

Dad made some marrow wine when I was a child. He didn't really know much about wine making and my great auntie Emily (Garden Street) gave him a book on the subject, plus her expert advice!  Must have been good because he drank one glass and fell downstairs! He said he'd never tasted anything like it!

Grandma Kate was partial to port but any alcohol made her nose turn bright red and people started singing Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer! Not me. I wouldn't dare!  Ted, her husband, also liked port but he mostly used it for filling stilton and gorgonzola ready for Christmas. He had family, on his mother's side, near Melton Mowbray and usually returned from visits laden down with pork pies, cheese and baked goods as his relatives ran various bakeries there.

My father, whose 96th birthday is today, wasn't keen on the port but loved the stinkiest of cheeses.

I love Stilton cheese, especially the Coston Basset variety - they do differ. I also enjoy a fine port but could never pour port into a hollowed out Stilton. Some years ago, when I was in Sweden, I discovered that they drank white port. That's the only time I've ever tasted it.

Yates's used to sell white port by the jug. There was also a special type supposedly only sold on the original Yates' birthday. 

I have never been able to drink port (of any shade) since drinking that stuff.

I still enjoy a good Stilton though but it's VERY expensive down here.

Have you tried Beauvale from Cropwell Bishop? I was given a half cheese last year by one of my English visitors. Very nice indeed!!!!!

We used to make wine when we lived at Eastwood. The lady next door was a member of the local wine circle and introduced to may boozy do’s - lit by candles in wine bottles; slightly inebriated folk wandering around saying “would you like to try my pea-pod?” Went to many judgings and won a highly commended for our blackberry!

Somebody once gave us a marrow, and not knowing what to do with it we made some wine. It was toxic! I put it in the garden shed (more a large rabbit hutch) and shortly afterwards somebody stole it. Saved me the effort of pouring it down the sink. Often wondered what they made of it when they tried it - sore heads, sore stomachs and sore bums, I think!

• Like 1