Anybody had a 'result' lately ?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following the oil delivery lorry scraping the corner off my little museum roof on Wednesday (Photos in "How's Your Day"), the company asked me to get an estimate for repairs. As luck would have it the

We’ve been waiting for weeks for a large rug we’d seen in John Lewis to be back in stock, waiting patiently for an email informing us that it’s available again.  Today we decided to go into the shop f

Very many years ago I found a wallet containing about £200 and credit cards in a phone box at the Midland Station. I handed it in and left my details with the Railway Police on Queen’s Drive. After ab

Had a surprise yesterday. My car insurance is up for renewal and I was expecting to have to go through the ritual of phoning around and arguing for a better price. Last year I changed to NFU Mutual car insurance and when I opened my renewal notice from them yesterday I found that my premium, owing to their "Mutual Bonus" scheme and for no loss of cover, had gone DOWN in price by 11.5%! The scheme offers a renewal bonus on a scale of up to 16.5% for each year of renewal. Result!

• Like 2

We used NFU for all our insurances until a few years ago.  We started using them when our boys were young drivers and at that time they were very competitive on price for under 25s.  Can’t remember why we left them but suppose it would have been a price hike.   Nowadays we don’t stay with the same company for long, hate insurance but it’s necessary.   Unfortunately we both bought new Travel Insurance policies in February this year in anticipation of our trip to the USA in March ....... which never happened ....... the policies will run out before we can travel again.  

My insurance went down some this year.  They said nobody is driving as much as before so they could drop the rate.  Certainly true of us.  We are about ready to go back to one vehicle, but I can't quite bring myself to do it.  I love my twenty year old full sized Ford.  They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I have my car insurance with Direct Line and a few weeks ago I got a letter from them saying that I could apply for a refund if I'd done less mileage due to Covid.

In the last year I've only done 2,000 miles, but my normal year is around 5,000, so I filled in the form to apply for money back. I got £12, which isn't going to change my life but it's the thought that counts.

We don't really need two cars but living out in the country with no convenient public transport it's useful to have a backup. We used to have three but that was my 'toy' which I gave up when I became less flexible. Now I can climb into a sportscar again I am tempted!

I haven't driven for ages so my husband uses my car occasionally to keep it good tempered. We keep saying we'll only keep one car but we never do it. I like to think that " whenever" I want to go out my car will be waiting for me.

I often think I should do my ‘bit’ and get an electric car but I’m not prepared to spend considerably over the odds for a car that I can’t drive to Lancaster and back, a regular trip, without stopping to recharge. Both our cars will do the 320 mile round trip on a full tank of fuel. I think it’s too early to make a commitment. If I ever do I wouldn’t buy outright as there’s always something more ‘useable’ coming along and I don’t want to be stuck with a lemon.

I've been looking on the Nissan site where you can calculate the mileage dependent on temperature, average speed etc. The claimed range drops dramatically if you use heating/aircon and higher speed. They're OK as a shopping/commuting car but if you want to holiday in Cornwall or Scotland or do a longish round trip they are impractical. They've got to improve the ranges substantially and have charging points where you can 'fill up' without lengthy queueing. In addition there's the higher cost price, and for how long will they be road tax exempt? The government rakes in a fortune from this and from fuel duties. 

On the subject of charging. Unfortunately,  where I berth my car is nowhere near my home. We're in a private close and our first car park, that I use must be 2 or 3 hundred yards from my door. I don't think the trustees would be very happy if I drove over the lawns to plug me car in. It's kept off road, under a car port.

That’s one of the many practical problems that need resolving. People can’t be prevented from using their car because of the lack of charging points. This government appears to do things without thinking things through. It’s all very well to appear to be going green but it’s not so easy.

• Like 1
On 12/12/2020 at 5:46 AM, philmayfield said:

This government appears to do things without thinking things through. It’s all very well to appear to be going green but it’s not so easy.

Same problem here Phil, they have a great propensity to go  FIRE,  AIM,  READY!

Our state government has announced it will be taxing users of electric vehicles on a per kilometre driven basis, how else are they going to recoup the taxes we pay each time we fill up our tanks.

Another thing they don't do very well is anything involved in IT.

• Like 1

Interesting roadkill find yesterday: cycling along a country lane I saw something in the ditch under a hedgerow. It was some kind of container with some dark fluid inside and had obviously been there some time because weeds had grown around it. Closer inspection revealed it to be 25l of Caustic Soda....exactly what I needed! I am running low on Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda), which I use for cleaning things of stubborn organic matter as well as paint stripping. Result!!

• 2 weeks later...

How's this for a great "result": The day before Xmas the manager of the local Cat Protection came around and told us that a wealthy man's cat had died and that he had made a huge donation to the Cat Protection, to do with as they see fit. She told us that they had decided to buy food with it and distribute it between local people who are known to be feeding feral cats. She opened her van and unloaded about £200 worth of cat food and wished us a merry Xmas! 

• Like 2