due for more this weekend! I'm wondering if it'll be anything like last year, was deep enough it covered half the tyres of the cars. so unprepared despite enough warnings colwick looproad wasn't even gritted, tried to drive up it and turned back half way, was terrible, cars sliding everywhere! is everyone on here prepared? stay safe and don't go out unless you need to!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

old ace paid a suprize visit to whitehart on thursday night said it took them 15 and a half hours to get across on the ferry from shetland to aberdeen instead of usual 12 hours at the rate this weathe

I really hope that was a poor attempt at a joke on your part. Because, as you've never had kids of your own, you will never, ever, be able to appreciate the pain we will all go through tomorrow when

We got back to the Auld Rock OK. The weather here is sunny with a slight frost at night. When we were in Notts I had hoped to visit Wollaton Park, but decided against it because of the ice underfoot.

Cupboards & Freezers well stocked so no need to go out and as long as we don't get a power cut we will be O.K. :)

P.S. we have a corner shop two minuets walk away that always has plenty of the basics(milk,baked beans etc)

Strange how a little snow manages to bring everything to a halt nowadays. Years ago it was common to get heavy falls of snow without much disruption being caused. When we get a few inches of snow now schools close which in my day was unheard of, we seemed to be able to get to school O.K. and I never experienced a school being closed because of snow. I loved snow as a child but now in my eighties can't abide the stuff.

Anyone remember the winters of 47 and 63 now that was snow :biggrin:.

Dennis

I do love snow! the deeper the better for me! I live 2 mins away from the local co op if I run oht of anything :) if we get a good amount over the weekend we'll most certainly be playing out in the garden (for my daughter's sake Ofcourse... we're not immature children at heart at all)

1963 was my last year at school, left in July that year. I can only recall one instance of not being able to get to school that winter. We had a bus from Ruddington to Bramcote and one day the bus could get no further than the Embankment, but as a result of thick fog even though there was snow lying. We all had to ge off the bus and walked back to Ruddington. Didn't have any money on us in those days so couldn't even think of trying to catch a service bus, but found out later that they had stopped running in any event.

Another memory of that winter was that all horse racing was cancelled for ages, which meant that instead of having this on TV on a Saturday afternoon, there was all manner of alternative progs, mainly American series, one I remembe being about the McCarthy communist witch hunts of the late 50's, can't remember the title, but enjoyed them because they were on instead of the gee gees.

Strange how a little snow manages to bring everything to a halt nowadays. Years ago it was common to get heavy falls of snow without much disruption being caused. When we get a few inches of snow now schools close which in my day was unheard of, we seemed to be able to get to school O.K. and I never experienced a school being closed because of snow. I loved snow as a child but now in my eighties can't abide the stuff.

Anyone remember the winters of 47 and 63 now that was snow :biggrin:.

Dennis

Yeh but hardly any cars on the road in them days ! Mothers have to take the kids to school nowadays instead.

Yeh but hardly any cars on the road in them days ! Mothers have to take the kids to school nowadays instead.

There were millions, and plenty of traffic jams.Not as many as today of course but 'hardly any'....not really.The school run however hadn't been invented as most families only had one car.

Few people had cars on our road in those days and in the winter, especially 1963 us kids would sledge down the middle of the road (steep hill). There was a miserable neighbour with a car who would throw ash across the road so we would come to a grinding halt. My Dad still lives in the same house and even these past few days have been really dodgy on that road so I can understand why that man tried to stop us making the road even more treacherous! Brilliant times though and my Dad made us a sledge from a Blue Peter plan!

• Upvote 1

Still none here to really shout about, although (To coin a phrase) "It's Bleddy Cowd" !!

It is actually coming down a little bit at the moment, but nowt to shout about as of yet.

I was going to fire up the chain saw and get the rest of last years logs cut up, but with the kids around it's put paid to that.

Hey, Bazza....the forecast was out a bit for you lot up there!

Saw on the news tonight that Sydney got to 45.8C...hottest day in 150 years.

Imagine what the heat was like out west of the city; probably another 2-3 degrees higher. Sydney will be competing with Oodnadatta shortly for the highest Australian temperature - 50.7C in 1960.

Reckon it has the makings of a hot summer this year across the country.

My Aunt up there will tell me all about it on Sunday.

Imagine what the heat was like out west of the city; probably another 2-3 degrees higher. Sydney will be competing with Oodnadatta shortly for the highest Australian temperature - 50.7C in 1960.

Now correct me if I'm wrong , but -50.7C ain't that hot by anyones standards, I mean it's -2C here now , so we're warmer than Australia !

Now correct me if I'm wrong , but -50.7C ain't that hot by anyones standards, I mean it's -2C here now , so we're warmer than Australia !

It was a bloody hyphen mark...........not a minus sign! :tongue: The cold weather over there must have shrunk the gap. :rotfl:

it's still coming down here , not too fast, but it's begining to look a lot like Christmas.

Nothing new here yet...but the wind chill factor is ruddy freezing.I wonder when the first idiot hill walkers will have to be rescued by mountain rescue?....there's usually some idiot risking other peoples lives in bad winters.

Throwing it down here (RisePark) at the moment, I was going out this morning while it was fine but decided to go this afternoon instead but when it started snowing changed my mind. If this keeps up we will have a good covering in the morning

Dennis