Horse meat in burgers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Horse meat or not 'aint the point.The point is we're being conned again by someone lying about their products obviously for profit. If I buy free range eggs I want free range, not factory farmed then

To eat or not to eat Tesco burgers. That is equestrian.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. People on the continent have been eating horse meat for 'donkeys' years and they are all right. It's only the thought of eating horse is what upsets us Brits.

Before the horse meat scandal made the news people would go to the shops and get their meat pies and mince etc. They'd go home and make a nice meal which they'd find tasty and enjoyable. Then, they find out that it may have been horse meat and the pies etc become disgusting and horrible. Why?. What's the difference between eating a horse or a young lamb, a young calf or a dog. I could go on but you get my gist. One more thing, have you noticed how some Press articles say 'horse meat' and others 'horsemeat'.

Before the horse meat scandal made the news people would go to the shops and get their meat pies and mince etc. They'd go home and make a nice meal which they'd find tasty and enjoyable. Then, they find out that it may have been horse meat and the pies etc become disgusting and horrible. Why?. What's the difference between eating a horse or a young lamb, a young calf or a dog.

Agree with your point Michael but consumers have a right to know what they are buying. If it's billed as horsemeat then fair enough, you pay your money and take your choice. If something is labelled as 'beef' I don't think it's too much for the consumer to ask that it actually is beef.

Well, I'm no xenophobe, but the suggestion on the news last night that some originated in Romania, went to France for processing, on to Luxembourg for further processing and packaging, fills me with suspicion. If its still "cheap" by the time it reaches British supermarkets after doing the grand tour of Europe, including three separate transport operations, I am doubtful whether there is any real control and audit trail being kept. The admin overheads would push the price up into the sky.

.... there doesn't seem to be any control on the meat trade.

That is absolute rubbish...We all know that our food is 100% safe in the hands of dedicated politicians who work all hours that God sends to ensure our food is the very finest...They would never lie to us. :rolleyes:

gummer-feeds-daughter-burger_zpse746404e

The EU rules state that Britain cannot ban meat from other EU countries - unless there is clear proof of a health risk. As we all know, proving it could drag on for quite a while allowing the horse meat and infected meat to still be imported into Britain. MPs have already voiced concerns that some horse meat could contain the veterinary drug phenylbutazone, or bute, which can trigger a serious blood disorder in humans. It's quite scary, isn't it.

I had forgotten him...

Er! remind me who the hell he is?

The dipstick who told us that Mad Cow Disease couldn't be passed on to humans....shortly before people started to die of CJD the human form of the disease.

• 2 weeks later...

They say that there is nothing new under the sun!

Have a look at this film clip from 1948, courtesy of Pathe News, regarding horse meat being sold in butchers shops in England: -

Quote from the 65 years old film clip: " Don't think the horse meat scandal is a new phenomenon. In fact it's an old trick to pass off horsemeat as beef and other meats."

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-horsemeat-scandal