sydney pearson hill school radford

:) Forster Street School - later called the 'Sydney Pearson Hill' school was just around the corner from Denman Street - a once wonderful shopping street.

On the second photograph from 'Picture the Past' @ #3 (courtesy of Cliff Ton), a long line of terraced houses followed the school, either side of the road and led down to Ilkeston Road.

Sydney Pearson Hill was a Radford boy who'd worked hard and done well in his life: eventually finishing up Lord Mayor of the City.

I was at school and in the same year as his grand-daughter; I remember well the tall, strong figure - and presence - of Sydney when visiting one of our school speech days. Our intensely strict Headmistress, Miss Gutteridge was in awe of this Radford lad made good. :)

• 4 months later...

Foster-St-school-1953_zps9577fb89.jpg

1953 At Forster Street School. The teacher, I believe, was Mrs. Holmes. I am the innocent looking chap third from left on the middle row. I had hair back then!

• 8 months later...

I was at that school and left for Glen Bott in 1975...... Teachers I remember are........ Mr Carter( mad about playing a clarinet) Miss Newton, Miss Gear, Mr Sayers(head teacher) Mrs Brown(the secretary) And what I remember there was a old picture hung up in the main lobby of My Sydney Pearson himself... Anyone remember?

The kids at that school I remember are...... Roy Francis, Mark Pearson, Nancy brown, Peter Diamond, Debbie Husbands, Sandra croft.. Sandra who I still know quite well,

Also on our school dinner time and breaks I remember there was a dear old man who wore glasses and a flap cap who used to come and give kids sweets and biscuits, One of the main sweets he gave was those little biscuits with the little twirl of icing on top of the biscuit. I think us kids called him Mr Clements. Can anyone remember him?

As I mentioned on another topic, S P Hill was my grandfather. I came to know Miss or Mrs Clifton even though I never went to that school. Was there also a Miss Grudgeons. I seem to remember meeting her.

Jackson. . Sidney Hill only had one grand-daughter - my cousin Rika Hill and I am sure she wouldn't have gone to that school as she lived at the top end of Bilborough. My cousin on my mum's side (Sidney Hill was my dad's father) however was a pupil there. He name at the time was Elaine Stevenson.

• 2 years later...
On Monday, February 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Bilbraborn said:

Jackson. . Sidney Hill only had one grand-daughter - my cousin Rika Hill and I am sure she wouldn't have gone to that school as she lived at the top end of Bilborough. My cousin on my mum's side (Sidney Hill was my dad's father) however was a pupil there. He name at the time was Elaine Stevenson.

We are related then as Rika is my aunt and her twin brother is my dad 

• Upvote 1

Welcome Ben. I have just read your post. Your dad, Wilfred Junior certainly was my cousin.  Like a lot of families, we were close when we were young, but just drift apart as we get older. We used to have family parties at my Granma's house in Wollaton.  I can remember one of our Sunday morning get-to-gethers at Granma's house. Your dad and I got kinda bored so we had a wander around the local allotments. When they found us we were having a paddle in the stream which came from under the (long gone) canal.

I lived in Glasgow at the same time as your dad. My son was born there.    Were you also born in Glasgow? Is my auntie Annie (nee Defries) still alive?  And did you know that your great grand father was once the Sheriff of Nottingham? 

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I was wrong on Mrs Hewitt's time at the school, she was there until around 1978/79, with a special class to help children struggling with reading. There must be some who remember her and benefited from her very special teaching. Mrs Hewitt was my aunt and she passed away this month.