• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now i've started i cant stop! Bonfire night, we used to spend weeks collecting anything flamable storing it in the terrace. raiding Westminster street's collection and guarding against return raids wa

I can't picture it exactly now myself after more than 50 years, and what order they were in, but going down Blue Bell Hill Road from the school, on the same side there was some sort of commercial prem

Hi, I lived on Stewart Place from 1937 to 1969. I remember the Coffees, next the Wood family then Miss Wright then Fosters,The Misses Riley,The Hicklings, the Hallams. then my memory fails..Other name

My gran lived on Corporation st, at the top end almost opposite the little beer off, remember Sat mornings catching a 31 bus from Mapperley down to Dame Agnes st and walking down to my grans.

Her old house was very dark and smelled of damp, and the toilet was up out the back. She had a coal cellar that I used to hate, as she used to ask me to go and fill the coal bucket for her fire, in the big cast iron range, which had an oven in it too.

She used to work at a paper bag factory somewhere around there too.

As she got older and infirm she could only use the ground floor so upstairs was never used, then the re housing and demolition started and she came to live with us.

Crossing Woodboro' rd from Robin Hood chase,there was another pedestrian walk that ended at the junction of Mansfield rd, Huntington st, and Alfred st north. Was this called Corporation Oaks?.

I remember it , but the name escapes me.

It was Corporation Oaks from the other side of Woodbro' Rd up to the covered reservoir, and then became Elm Avenue as it crossed over Cranmer Street and joined up with Mansfield Rd at the Alfred St/Huntingdon St junction.

• 1 month later...

i was born at 14 lily st off dame agnes street in 1948 lived there till 1958 went to sycamore infants and elms junior then went to live at Hyson Green.anybody remember the bottom rec,the chip shop and Griffins shop on Dame Agnes street.

Delivered papers for Smiths paper shop in 57 -58

Thank you for the warm welcome Hippo girl did you teach at the old Morley or the new one at the top of Wells Rd.

In the old Morley I painted a mural on the wall year before I left in the assembly hall ( gym room ).

I was brought up in St Anns, lived at Number 4 Kings Lynn Terrace off Turner Street in the 50's, went to Blue Bell Hill and Huntingdon sec school from 1958 to 1962.. Also live on Alfred Street South at the Lady Bay Cleaners, Mum was managing the shop, opposite Agar's green grocers shop at the corner of Blue Bell Hill.

I was brought up in St Anns, lived at Number 4 Kings Lynn Terrace off Turner Street in the 50's, went to Blue Bell Hill and Huntingdon sec school from 1958 to 1962.. Also live on Alfred Street South at the Lady Bay Cleaners, Mum was managing the shop, opposite Agar's green grocers shop at the corner of Blue Bell Hill.

I went to Blue Bell Hill school from autumn 1959 until leaving at age 11 in summer 1961. I've got a class photo from 1960 somewhere - I'll see if I can dig it out and put it on here.

We lived a short way down Blue Bell Hill Road from the school where my mother had a shop.

A bit after my time, but I do recall a corner green grocer opposite the school on Blue Bell Hill, and down on the same side near the bottom was a row of shops, too long now for me to remember what they were.

We moved to the Meadows around 1960ish due to Mum resigning as Manager of the Lady Bay Cleaners shop.

A bit after my time, but I do recall a corner green grocer opposite the school on Blue Bell Hill, and down on the same side near the bottom was a row of shops, too long now for me to remember what they were.

We moved to the Meadows around 1960ish due to Mum resigning as Manager of the Lady Bay Cleaners shop.

I can't picture it exactly now myself after more than 50 years, and what order they were in, but going down Blue Bell Hill Road from the school, on the same side there was some sort of commercial premises that - as I remember - usually seemed to have several Guy lorries or vans (painted dark blue?) parked in their entrance. There was the Hop Pole pub, and a few houses. Like I say, I can't remember what order these came in. Then was our shop - the usual corner shop type of place (except it wasn't on a corner!), but we weren't a greengrocers - then next door WAS a corner shop - a beer-off - on the corner of Crown Street, I think it was, run by Mrs Marshall.

More or less across the road from where we were, I can remember a couple of shops - the bakers, run by Mr Griggs, whose daughter Maxine I was at school with, and a paper shop, where I can remember the Evening News still being on sale alongside the Evening Post. There was always a great smell of baking bread in the mornings from Mr Griggs's shop, and sometimes us kids would have a freshly-baked roll for breakfast from there - still warm. Delicious! - you didn't need butter on it.

• Upvote 2

Merthyr Imp, Although I find it difficult to remember what I had for breakfast, my early happy childhood memories remain. Thought this may help. Somewhere on this web page is an a/c of the printworks with the large temperature gauge fixed to the wall (adjacent to the school which I also attended) 1 person out of 150 went on to grammar school! (50 pupils per class) A couple of houses next then the `Hop Bloom' pub where Johnny Hardy myself and others played with real wooden skittles in the back yard, The son was `Harry' I believe now lives at Clifton, below this was your shop(a sweet and ice-cream place where I bought my first bar of chocolate after the war (coupons ) a couple of doors further down was Mrs Marshall` beer-off(corner Crown and BlueBell Hill) .

On the other corner(Crown and BBH) was another sweet and ice-cream shop. On the opposite side to these shops was Mr. Cotterills milk butter and cheese shop. Cotterill was a potential /would be Liberal council member. During the war all the women would congregate with their children(me included) at his home when the air rade sirens went off. (Isuppose they would all go together when they go!) Next some form of wood place entrance and on the lower side of this was a newsagents shop where I bought my first lot of fireworks 2/6d after the war! A few houses down was the bakery. Alsibrookes then my mate Roger Ford `s mum took over and sounds like Griggs came after.

Next on the corner of BBH and Alfred St was a corner store that made furniture, My parents bought their first couch there. On the other corner was a Nottingham Co-op shop with a young man with a computer like brain who could add with lightening speed.

2 pubs completed the other corners.

Finally there was a person talking earlier about Stewart place when he lived there .He must have been there about the time my mate Peter Coffee lived at number 3 (Wonder if he remembers him)

• Upvote 1

I was born in '56 and went to Bluebell hill school. Lived at 12 Alfred Street South (the back yard was on Gordon Road) near a corner shop as I remember. I used to play in Stewarts Place (nice tree lined area I recall) and I seem to remember a "Mrs Coffee" in factit might have been next door. Moved in '62 to a house on Bluebell Hill road near the junction of St. Bartholomews Rd (Donkey Hill).In fact both my brother and myself lived on Donkey Hill but at different times in different houses.

• Upvote 1

our friends dee and grahamnow live on the corner of blubell hill rd and donkey hill a fantastic view over the whole of st anns out of their back windos there garrage and garden is on donkey hill and the front door is on bluebell hill forgot the number but dee and gray have lived there for quite some years now her mum and dad lived in it till they brought it when they died.

Hi Babs,I know Graham & Dee well, used to have some fun in the old ambulance he had, must be close to 30 years ago.

Worked with him on a project to retrain the 'long term unemployed',based in Bulwell.

Do you still see him ?

yes brian most thursdays down whitehart i will ask him tonight if he remembers you.

Merthyr Imp, Although I find it difficult to remember what I had for breakfast, my early happy childhood memories remain. Thought this may help. Somewhere on this web page is an a/c of the printworks with the large temperature gauge fixed to the wall (adjacent to the school which I also attended) 1 person out of 150 went on to grammar school! (50 pupils per class) A couple of houses next then the `Hop Bloom' pub where Johnny Hardy myself and others played with real wooden skittles in the back yard, The son was `Harry' I believe now lives at Clifton, below this was your shop(a sweet and ice-cream place where I bought my first bar of chocolate after the war (coupons ) a couple of doors further down was Mrs Marshall` beer-off(corner Crown and BlueBell Hill) .

On the other corner(Crown and BBH) was another sweet and ice-cream shop. On the opposite side to these shops was Mr. Cotterills milk butter and cheese shop. Cotterill was a potential /would be Liberal council member. During the war all the women would congregate with their children(me included) at his home when the air rade sirens went off. (Isuppose they would all go together when they go!) Next some form of wood place entrance and on the lower side of this was a newsagents shop where I bought my first lot of fireworks 2/6d after the war! A few houses down was the bakery. Alsibrookes then my mate Roger Ford `s mum took over and sounds like Griggs came after.

Next on the corner of BBH and Alfred St was a corner store that made furniture, My parents bought their first couch there. On the other corner was a Nottingham Co-op shop with a young man with a computer like brain who could add with lightening speed.

2 pubs completed the other corners.

Finally there was a person talking earlier about Stewart place when he lived there .He must have been there about the time my mate Peter Coffee lived at number 3 (Wonder if he remembers him)

So the premises with the Guy vehicles that I remember were a printing works? I couldn't remember at all - it was just the lorries or vans, because in those days of exposed radiators on commercial vehicles they had the radiator cap with the Indian chief on as seen here:-

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bradpete-31611/gallery/photo/guy-bus-radiator-cap-4390135

Interesting what you say about the small proportion of pupils going to grammar school - I was one of those myself (he boasted). I remember at the end of my time there, aged 11, having to take an exam 'to see if you'll be going to the High School'. Well I passed it, but was sent to High Pavment instead. What's always puzzled me is that only me and one other boy in my class (none of the girls) even took the exam. Now if that was the eleven-plus - and it was never given that name to me at the time - I always thought everyone had to take it? Perhaps not. At any rate I was the only one in my year to go to grammar school, and it was pretty traumatic as all the other new intake of pupils were part of groups who had come from their junior schools so all knew each other - but there was only me from Blue Bell Hill.

Yes - the Hop Bloom was the pub. I must have been thinking of the Hop Pole at Ollerton.

It was evidently some while after your time that we were in the shop there (from autumn 1959). I know that an old, or least middle-aged, man had it before us, but I've no idea of his name. I don't believe we sold ice cream then, but it certainly was sweets, and what you might call fancy goods - toys and stuff. By the time I was 11 my mother would send me on errands to pick up items from the wholesaler - Halstead's, just round the corner of George Street, Hockley. I would go all the way down, along Robin Hood Street, past the baths and Sneinton Market, cross Lower Parliament St (by the zebra crossing!), and up Hockley past Woolworth's (and the Gee Dee toy shop on the other side of the road!). Halstead's used to stock magazines and books too, and I would occasionally be able to buy something at the wholesale price - e.g. a 2/6 book could be bought from them for 2/-.

You mention 'a wood place entrance' on the other side of the road, and I remember there was somewhere we called 'the wood yard' where we kids would play sometimes. It was like an area of waste ground in my time.

Thinking back, there's very little detail I can remember - my excuse is we were only there for about 20 months. I know when we first moved there it was still cobbled streets. I think they put tarmac down while we there - but leaving the gutters at the sides of the road still as cobbles.

Some time around the late 1970s/early 1980s I went back to the area and found it all gone. I couldn't believe it! I think there was just a small building that had been part of the school left, but otherwise it was almost impossible to even trace where Blue Bell Hill Road had been, there was only the rise of ground to go on.

When I've got a bit of time I'll find and put the school class photo from 1960 on here. Or should I start a separate topic for Bluebell Hill School?