I would go all the way down, along Robin Hood Street, past the baths and Sneinton Market, cross Lower Parliament St (by the zebra crossing!), and up Hockley past Woolworth's (and the Gee Dee toy shop on the other side of the road!).

Thank you for that!

A couple of years ago - in a thread which I can't find or remember - I mentioned the Gee Dee shop at the bottom end of Hockley where you have described. Someone replied that Gee Dees had only ever been on Heathcoat Street (where they still are today) and had never been where I remembered them.

So I think my memory has been proved correct!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now i've started i cant stop! Bonfire night, we used to spend weeks collecting anything flamable storing it in the terrace. raiding Westminster street's collection and guarding against return raids wa

I can't picture it exactly now myself after more than 50 years, and what order they were in, but going down Blue Bell Hill Road from the school, on the same side there was some sort of commercial prem

Hi, I lived on Stewart Place from 1937 to 1969. I remember the Coffees, next the Wood family then Miss Wright then Fosters,The Misses Riley,The Hicklings, the Hallams. then my memory fails..Other name

Yes, it was actually on Goose Gate but I always remembered it as being "down Hockley". That seemed to be used as a generic name for the whole length of road which goes from Carlton Street to Goose Gate to Hockley.

Somewhere on the right along here http://goo.gl/maps/ZlIH3

And yes, I remember Meccano Magazine; I definitely bought it a few times, and I even had a few dated from the 1930s which had been owned by my dad.

Gee Dee also had a shop on Mansfield Road at Sherwood - other side of the road to the Metropole and a little way down the hill towards town. We moved to Sherwood in summer 1961 at the same time as I finished at Blue Bell Hill school, and I used to go to that Gee Dee's to buy Matchbox toys.

I think I've still got some 1959-61 era Meccano Magazines at the back of a cupboard, but I sold off a lot of the later ones from the mid-1960s on Ebay a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

i was born at 14 lily st off dame agnes street in 1948 lived there till 1958 went to sycamore infants and elms junior then went to live at Hyson Green.anybody remember the bottom rec,the chip shop and Griffins shop on Dame Agnes street.

mary1947 i think the chippy used to be called "Percys" i was born on Norland rd went to St Ann's board school then on to Sycamore when i married we lived on Manning st next st to us was Dame Agnes street

• 3 months later...

i was born at 14 lily st off dame agnes street in 1948 lived there till 1958 went to sycamore infants and elms junior then went to live at Hyson Green.anybody remember the bottom rec,the chip shop and Griffins shop on Dame Agnes street.

Only just joined this forum today and I think it looks like there is a lot of interest. I was born on Woodborough Road - cant remember the number without looking at my birth certificate but 268a rings a bell it was at the back of a shop on the opposite side of Woodborough Road to Dame Agnes Street (which until 20 or so years ago I always thought was Day Magnus Street) My father rented a lock up garage up there. We then moved to Ford Street St Marys, which was at the bottom of St Anns Well Road. I believe he still rented the garage. Moved to Eastwood in 1959 shortly before my 3rd birthday

Hi I was born at 42 Livingstone st St. Anns Wells Rd.

Went to Blue Bell Hil School then on to Morley School left in 58.

Did you know the Boswell family who lived on Livingstone St ?

The furniture store had me puzzled for a while Stan, it's come to me, it wasn't on the corner of Blue Bell Hill and Alfred Street, it was on the corner of the next street on the right going up Blue Bell Hill from Alfred Street, can't recall what was on the corner, but next up was the old Lady Bay Cleaners, which moved to a larger shop opposite Agars green grocers which was on the corner of BBH and Alfred Street. My Mum was the Manager of the LB Cleaners for a year or two, and we lived on the premises.

Corner of Robin Hood Street/Alfred Street I think was a butcher, opposite side was a pub.

• 4 weeks later...

Another Mace film from 1971

After the Jimmy Sirrell / Meadow Lane clip , after about 3 mins is the local MP Jack Dunnett talking to local residents with clips of the old and new St.Anns in the background . Someone must know some of those folks being interviewed ??

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-05041971-jack-dunnett-mp-for-nottingham-central/MediaEntry/15745.html

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

merthyr imp- I lived on Alfred St South just around the corner from Blue Bell Hill. The smell of that bread baking! Can you remember these shop

Agars the greengrocers- Perrin the chemist- margarets wool shop- Mrs pitt in the grocers- W Hodson televisions & furniture- old Mr & Mrs Jones from the Post Office - a pub Empress Eugenie- my mum Emily Philpotts? Family next door to me with Mrs Edwards 11 chidren?

merthyr imp- I lived on Alfred St South just around the corner from Blue Bell Hill. The smell of that bread baking! Can you remember these shop

Agars the greengrocers- Perrin the chemist- margarets wool shop- Mrs pitt in the grocers- W Hodson televisions & furniture- old Mr & Mrs Jones from the Post Office - a pub Empress Eugenie- my mum Emily Philpotts? Family next door to me with Mrs Edwards 11 chidren?

I'm afraid I have next to no memories of Alfred Street, although I must have walked along it many times. All I can remember is the barbers where I used to have my hair cut, which was close to the junction with St Anns Well Road, and a little shop that used to sell second-hand comic books. They used to have very little of anything in stock, and it was just a bare counter with a few comics spread out on it. Oh, and I remember there was a greengrocers (no idea of the name) where my mother begged orange boxes for us to use as furniture - we were honestly that poor when we first went to live in Nottingham. As far as I remember none of my schoolfriends from Blue Bell Hill lived on Alfred Street.

This is the period from late 1959 to summer 1961.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I lived on Stewart Place from 1937 to 1969. I remember the Coffees, next the Wood family then Miss Wright then Fosters,The Misses Riley,The Hicklings, the Hallams. then my memory fails..Other names that come to mind are Arthur Walker. Donald Osenbrook and finally Fred Buxton who had a radio shop on Lowdham St.

My bedroom overlooked Gordon Rd. and had a good view of Prices Bakery(Later Jackie Pownalls) Prices used to wake me up getting the horse driven vans loaded early each morning. Thats all for now hope some of you remember!.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

I lived at 43 Lotus Street 1947 to1961. We lived next door to my maternal grandparents [no 45]. My grandad bred dogs in the backyard , looking back it must have been murder for the neighbors! In those days Hungerhill Gardens were not closed off and us kids used to spend our days explolring, i remember many happy hours spent on Coppice Rec, was it really always sun shining?

Now i've started i cant stop! Bonfire night, we used to spend weeks collecting anything flamable storing it in the terrace. raiding Westminster street's collection and guarding against return raids was all part of it. On the night of the 5th families grouped togeather and there would be three or four fires to each street. It was stopped when the pavement bricks were replaced with tarmac. Mrs Hankins made bonfire toffee, John from the corner sweet shop always supplied a big box of fireworks.One year a spark from the fire landed in the box igniting the lot sending a rocket through Mrs Warrell's bedroom window, not a happy lady! Fire Engines would patrol the streets hosing any fires that got too big. We were at the top of the street, I can remember looking across the valley seeing the fires in streets the other side, seems almost unreal now.

• Upvote 3

DING DONG Cliff Ton, that is genius,THANKYOU. We lived at the Hungerhill Rd end, the third picture shows the boarded up sweet shop just across the street where my brother and i spent many happy hours buying penny glasses of Dandelion &Burdock, frozen Jubblies or penny sticks of rhubarb with a twist of sugar to dip it in that John and Reeni used to grow on their allotment. I recall being puzzled that John was regarded as being lucky that he died whist working in his garden which he loved. On. the opposite corner was the beeroff run by George Penrose and his wife Lilian, they had a son about my age named Keith, he also had a younger sister whoes name i don't recall. The hill show in the same picture is the one that we used to turnto an ice rink with our sledges [ i saw it mentioned in a thread yesterday but can't seem to find it again ]. In those days [ mid 50s ], the streets were still lit by gaslight which ifeel sure lend a gentle edge to my memory of crowds of us sledging on dark winter evenings

• Upvote 1