I was sadened to hear of Mushroom bookshop's founder - Keith's death last year. I remember him as a kind quiet and knowledgeable person. I ran the wholefood shop "Down to Earth" which was just down the road from the bookshop during the 70's. I'm in North London now with my two children and daughter nearby and remember my days in Nottingham as anenjoyable adventure!!

Met my first Wife in the Arkwright street Mushroom shop in 1974, what I remember about it was the smell of joss sticks, it was a great shop for all things Hippy at the time, brought several books from there on Self sufficiency as I was thinking of going into a commune at the time................

Keith Leonard and I became friends, he was at our wedding, and took the place of the Father of the bride as she had lost her parents a few years before..I went back to Nottingham in 2009 for his funeral, and saw my now ex wife, and we both along with our present spouses, went to the Trip to raise a glass or four to good old Keith ..............

Arkwright street in the 1970's was a good place for me to hang out in as there was Mushroom for books, badges, incence and all things hippy. Anglo American Surplus for clothing and bags, and I had a mate called Peter who ran the pet shop..............................

One shop I forgot, Selecta-disc for music....................

Nottingham was in the 1970's a great place for shops ...You could walk from Radcliffe road West Bridgeford all the way to Radford road and you would have shops almost all the way......................

Anglo American Surplus for clothing

Thanks for reminding me of the actual name, Me and my mate bought 2 Army great coats from there, ten bob each, around 1970.

We got some strange looks as we strolled down Arkwright Street with them dragging along the ground.

We must have been some of the first to wear them.

Anyone remember the army & navy type store on Carrington Street on the opposite side from Midland Station a little towards Canal Street? Remember in the late seventies they stocked the green quilted bomber jackets that were favoured by the Forest mob of the time, the 'Green Jackets'.

Was it the one next to the Canal City Side Stu?

And was this not once Naval Recruitment Office.

The opposite side of the canal bridge was the Canal Bogs.

Now a Cafe/food take out... Yuk!

Anyone remember the army & navy type store on Carrington Street on the opposite side from Midland Station a little towards Canal Street? Remember in the late seventies they stocked the green quilted bomber jackets that were favoured by the Forest mob of the time, the 'Green Jackets'.

The name was Army and General Stores, I think ............. I used to buy a lot of hiking kit from them because it was a lot cheaper than Redmayne & Todd, down the road......................................

Last time I was down Carrington street in, 2010, I was surprised to find the old leather shop/cobblers was still there ...........I used to buy belts and belt pouches from him,,, I still have and use a belt and pouch I brought in the 1980's from him......................

Thanks for reminding me of the actual name, Me and my mate bought 2 Army great coats from there, ten bob each, around 1970.

We got some strange looks as we strolled down Arkwright Street with them dragging along the ground.

We must have been some of the first to wear them.

When the Arkwright street shop closed they moved to Radford road, when that shop closed I have no idea............................................................

And Willis and Jameson pet shop went to Radcliffe on trent where Peter's dad ran a haulage contractors next to the Manvers arms..................................

Still on the subject of Carrington Street....anybody remember the Gents Hairdressers (6 or more chairs) on Carrington Street, the same side as Redmayne and Todds and probably 3-4 shops back up towards the Station? You used to go through a small shop (newsagent?) and the barbers shop was at the rear.

When the Arkwright street shop closed they moved to Radford road, when that shop closed I have no idea............................................................

And Willis and Jameson pet shop went to Radcliffe on trent where Peter's dad ran a haulage contractors next to the Manvers arms..................................

meltonstilton, just as a matter of interest; when did a pet shop start in RoT and who or exactly where was the haulage contractors that you say Peter's dad ran? You sure it was next to the Manvers Arms?

My most abject apologies for going off topic people...it will not happen again :biggrin:

The haulage contractors, was called Willis and Jameson Ltd, the owner was called Bernard Willis, the lorrys were in a yard behind the Pet shop, looking on Google maps the shop is now called Beauty spot on Main road R on T ......................The date the pet shop opened was about 1976 or so,, Peter gave up the shop and his mother took over ............................

Hope this is of somehelp..............................

Still on the subject of Carrington Street....anybody remember the Gents Hairdressers (6 or more chairs) on Carrington Street, the same side as Redmayne and Todds and probably 3-4 shops back up towards the Station? You used to go through a small shop (newsagent?) and the barbers shop was at the rear.

I think my dad used to frequent that barbers. He worked in the railway goods offices on opposite the Midland station. In theory he (and lots of other railway employees) went in his lunch hour, but unofficially I think a few sneaked off when no one was looking.

Same thing happened in Derby where there was a barber's shop (Slasher Morton's) at the front of the station. The old gag (probably apocryphal) went that a manager from the CM&EE department spotted one of his clerks walking in there at half past ten one morning. The manager strolled in 10 minutes later, by which time the bloke was sat in the chair, half-clipped. "What's this?" he asked, "Getting your hair cut in work time?" Quick as a flash came the reply, "Why not? It grows in work time!"

I think my dad used to frequent that barbers. He worked in the railway goods offices on opposite the Midland station. In theory he (and lots of other railway employees) went in his lunch hour, but unofficially I think a few sneaked off when no one was looking.

Same thing happened in Derby where there was a barber's shop (Slasher Morton's) at the front of the station. The old gag (probably apocryphal) went that a manager from the CM&EE department spotted one of his clerks walking in there at half past ten one morning. The manager strolled in 10 minutes later, by which time the bloke was sat in the chair, half-clipped. "What's this?" he asked, "Getting your hair cut in work time?" Quick as a flash came the reply, "Why not? It grows in work time!"

Another version was: - "Yor hair didn't all grow in work time!" and the reply "I ain't getting it all cut off, am I." :tongue:

meltonstilton....thanks for the response. It would seem that the haulage company and the pet shop were well after my time in RoT; some 15 years in fact.

Trevor, the petshop opened up in about 1976, but the haulage contractors, Willis and Jameson Ltd was started in the 1950's by Peter's dad, they were also coal merchants with another yard down by the railway station.....................

Can't remember Willis and Jameson. The only coal merchants I remember was Charltons, who had a yard on Shelford Road, RoT; about a 100 yards up from the railway station. Charltons was pretty big back in those days, delivering coal to most RoT homes and was also involved in general haulage.

Used to walk past his yard every day in the 50s on my way to school in Bingham Road.

Found this link that may interest you: http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/9472396/memories?s_source=clmi

Better PM on this subject as we are well off topic.

I remember the RN Recruiting office (How could I forget) signed on there for 12 years in November 1962 at the tender age of 15 years and 4 months Sadly there was no child line then. Recruiting officer was Lt George Selleck I still have the signing on papers

• Upvote 1