W &E Turner seemed to be a national footwear chain based in Leicester . On google are references to shops as far apart as Hungerford and Lowestoft , so its more than likely they had a Nottingham branch . Whether that is the one in the photo ?

If you google Jesse Stephenson Ltd any results are based round Leeds, Bradford area and one comment says they had 54 shops in that area .

• 3 years later...

I remember when I worked there in the 60s/70s , a chap dressed in white overalls carrying out some hi-fi equipment .

Everybody assumed he was a repair man taking some faulty goods away .

Never saw him or the equipment again !

Had a similar situation David at the Coop swiney way Toton............on my own confronted a chap outside the store with big TV,..he just handed it to me..........and i stood there hands full.........he said see ya,...........no chance of collaring him............had to laugh bless him..............

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I know you shouldn't condone shoplifting, but you've got to admire the sheer nerve of this kid with the television.  

No, you shouldn't condone shoplifting. These people don't have 'nerve' either. They don't care, because know if they get caught the repercussions are minimal. Even so, if they do get caught they'll resist aggressively, spit, bite, say they're HIV, scream about human rights, accuse you of touching them up etc etc...Believe me, I've dealt with these people many many times. Shoplifting activities, which are a substantial threat to retailers, push up prices for honest hard-working folk.

My brother-in-law is retired but has a small house-ware concession in a much larger outlet. The other week he received a call to say a large part of his stock had been stripped. Try telling him that the thieving scumbag had nerve to be admired.

• Upvote 3

Just been chatting to my sister on the phone. She bought an expensive phone fot her house  & when unboxed she plugged it in to find it full of some one's telephone numbers.

Taking it back to ASDA she was offered £5 discount !

The cheek of it, I'd want at least a tenner !

• 3 years later...