Well, the January sales are nearly over and personally, I think they've been a waste of time.

Why is it that most big stores always put the good stuff away and bring out a load of rubbish at sale time.

Then they put tickets on like 'Was £40 - now £20' when you know perfectly well it was never £40!

Some shops put massive SALE signs up when they havn't even got a sale - just to get people in.

With money tighter than ever and shops struggling to survive, why do they take people for mugs?

I usually have a look online first to compare prices elsewhere.I generally won't buy anything unless I can find it at a higher price !!

I do agree with you though, very often you try to get something at a bargain price , only to find they're 'out of stock', and once the sales are over they 'miraculously have restocked'

Occasionally you can get a good 'bargain' :-

I got a De Longhi combi microwave / grill yesterday, they (Argos) 'claimed' it was reduced to 'half price' from £199.99 to £99.99, I say "oh yeah, sure" but , on shopping around, and doing comparisons I found it had been on sale in their last catologue at that higher price. Elsewhere it was anything between £130 and £185, so it was still a bargain .

(Especially when I got an extra tenner off because I'm signed up to their web page!!)

I always say that you could sell SWMBO a tenner for twenty quid if you put a note on it saying "Reduced from 50" !

Hi ChrisB, Mrs Plantfit always goes to the Next sale at Christmas when we spend the holiday in Edinburgh, she says they have genuine sales there,and I reckon she's right because I think she knows every price,counter staff and bar code off by heart, costs me a fortune but she say's they are bargains

Rog

Bought a new Dishwasher online from Homebase yesterday, applied the code WEB20, and the price was reduced fro £199 to £159 :)

Many electronics retailers that promise to match price have slightly different model numbers for exactly the same item, so no one else sells that particular model!

We need a new dishwasher ! Shame there ain't a Homebase near us !

We've actually had a bad couple of weeks of it! (wait for it)

Over Christmas the Dishwasher packed up, (Just after I paid for our holiday to Spain next month, therefore leaving us skint again!)

Then last week both the food processor and the blender packed up, during the same cooking session, (I can live with out these I know, I rang Philips about a replacement part for the blender, I was quoted £56 plus VAT for a piece of plastic to fix a 70 quid blender !. I didn't bother in the end (I wonder why)

This week it was my paper shredder (again I can live without that) ........and now the microwave, ...........now that on the other hand !

Another couple of tricks I've seen, which should be banned;

CLOSING DOWN in massive letters and prices in tiny letters. (i.e. closing down prices)

and 70% OFF again in massive letters, but if you look again, it's up to 70% off

Ian, White goods are not in stock at Homebase, but delivered nationwide.

ProAction WQP12-9250G Full Size Dishwasher is best deal

20% off finishes tomorrow, Order online.

:biggrin: Quite enjoy washing the pots: my stainless steel double drainer looks beautiful / pristine when the pots are washed, dried and put away; can then make myself a well-deserved, lovely cup of tea - unfortunately creating more pots to wash! :biggrin:

Ah Stu, Jenners, great store that still have a gentleman on the door complete with long coat and top hat, been in a few times but I'm not a shop person, I leave all that stuff to Mrs Plantfit, yes she has had a few bargains from there and perhaps a few I don't know about, plenty of activity going on around Jenners at the moment with the new tram system pushing ahead but I don't think it's affected business much

Rog