Tv Heroes Of The 50's

• 2 months later...

My favourite 1950s programmes included The Range Rider (Jock Mahoney) with Dick West (The All-American Boy), Kit Carson especially the series with the Night Riders, Whirligig (did Mr Pastry feature in this?), All Your Own - a kind of talent show, and Robin Hood.

In my early years, when we had our first 9" TV I loved all the Watch With Mother programmes shown in the middle of the day: Picture Book (with the delicious Patricia Driscoll who was Maid Marian for a while), Andy Pandy, The Woodentops, The Flowerpot Men, Rag, Tag & Bobtail.

And listening to the likes of Paul Temple, Journey Into Space, and Dick Barton - Secret Agent (my Dad convinced me he ran the buses in Chilwell!) gave me a lifelong love of the radio.

Happy days.

Remember being envious of the kids whose families had both H & X ariels as they got the early westerns like "Roy Rogers" & "Hopalong Cassidy" also of course we had childrens hour which seems to have dissapeared a long while ago along with childrens choice on the radio. Remember "Journey into Space" Didn't it come on straight after "The Archers"?.

Think my favorite would be "Quatermass Experiment"

'Mick and Montmerency', the title stirs memories, what was it about?

And Peter Glaze - sorry to be critical here - but wasn't he a waste of time?

I confess to a quick bit of Googling to prompt my memory. I loved this programme which featured the slapstick antics of Charlie Drake and his partner Jack Edwardes. Thanks to turnipnet.com for this quote:

Mick would then say to Montmorency “One of these days I’m going to lose my paddi-whack with you”. Charlie’s catchphrase was “Mick not to touch Mont!

• 2 weeks later...

Was 'Sing something simple' on before "Journey into Space"?

Can we ever foget 'Workers Playtime',Wilfred Pickles," Give 'em the money Mabel".

On the telly,'The ArmyGame', hut 29 and all those characters.

Remember:

Eric Sykes in his regular half-hour situation comedy with his sister Hattie (Jacques)?

Anthony Hancock in his regular situation comedy with Sid (James)?

Such popular programmes, everything used to stop whilst a vast majority of the country's population got comfy in front of the TV. So popular were they, they were always topics of discussion the next day.

• 3 months later...

Max Byegraves cant remember what he was singer or comedian ?

& just thought of the Tv program Quatermas if i spelt it right

Max Byegraves cant remember what he was singer or comedian ?

Neither, really.

Think of I'm a pink toothbrush or Tulips from Amsterdam or Fings ain't wot they used to be or When you come to the end of a lollipop. Class act

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Paulus/katyjay.............both wrong..........it was 'Ahh Cisco......Ahh.........Pancho'....................

Once formed a company with 3 Asian fella's called it 'Sisco'.............don't ask.....it was a bleddy disaster...............bless em........

• 3 years later...