To all the old gits on here.

Just been in the local for a pint...Landlord got an old video on...Chuck Berry,Drifters etc. A group of teenage girls came in and sat round a table rattling on about blokes etc like young girls do.

Helen Shapiro came on with 'Walking back to happiness'...every single girl burst into song...they knew every word...I was speechless.

1961 for Gods sake...fifty odd years ago and they knew the words :ohmy: I wonder how many of the recent crap so called 'hits' will be sung by the kids in fifty years time?

To all those youngsters that sneer at us fuddy duddys with our sixties and seventies memories...go to any wedding or party and watch how many of todays generation know the words to 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' and 'Lily the Pink'...A damn sight more than will know the words of some talentless black bloke with his street cred bullsh**

• Upvote 5

Shirley Ellis - The Clapping Song.

Sam the Sham and the Pharoes - Wooly Bully.

Little Eva - The Locomotion.

village People - YMCA.

So up yours, young uns :)

• Upvote 1

Almost ANY Beatles or Stones song!

As Compo said! :)

• Upvote 1

Come on Eileen ...............Dexys Midnight Runners

Young at Heart.............The Bluebells

and

Vindaloo .......................Fat Les ...........(don't ask)

Always got them going for me

more youngsters get up and dance to the old sixties music than they do to the modern stuff and how many of those are remix of earlier stuff

Shirley Ellis - The Clapping Song.

Sam the Sham and the Pharoes - Wooly Bully.

Little Eva - The Locomotion.

village People - YMCA.

So up yours, young uns :)

That jogged a memory....many moons ago I had a date with a lass on a Saturday night.After a long evening and down a club she disappeared with a so called 'mate' of mine.....Not the done thing.

The next day when I found out I tackled him about it.He shrugged it off saying 'All's fair in love and war' etc.I decided to let it drop and took him off my Christmas Card list....

The following week it turned out that the young lady had left him with a present of a sexually transmitted disease.

The 'Clapping Song' got played regularly with much hilarity on the pub jukebox for weeks afterwards every time he came in the pub.

0022-6.gif

• Upvote 2

60s music has a timeless element. I play in a 60s cover band, MozMicDawn, because I grew up in the 60s and still love the music, but also people of all ages like the music. We get compliments about the songs from the very young as well as the very old. And also lots of the songs are known because they're used on so many adverts.

If you're interested, here's some of the songs we play:

(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone - The Monkees

Baby Please Don't Go - Them

Be My Baby - Ronettes

Dancing In The Street - Martha & the Vandellas

For Your Love - Yardbirds

Gloria/Save Me - Them/Aretha Franklin

Green Onions - Booker T & the MG's

Hit The Road Jack - Ray Charles

I Can't Help Myself - Four Tops

Keep On Running - Spencer Davis Group

Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd

Louie Louie/Wild Thing - Kingsmen/Troggs

Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin

Nowhere To Run - Martha & the Vandellas

Piece Of My Heart - Janis Joplin/Erma Franklin

The Letter - Box Tops

The Locomotion - Little Eva

These Boots Are Made For Walking - Nancy Sinatra

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

Will You Love Me Tomorrow? - Shirelles

I can let you know of our gigs if interested.

• Upvote 1

Do you think they would do well Brian.

Moz, if you need a Roadie, I know my way round,

As long as it is Florida, Las Vegas, Palm Springs or Greater Los Angeles.

OK how about organising a proper full scale meet up, at one of Mozs' venues in the future, obviously not those two as (In my opinion) it's a bit too soon.

Have you got any future bookings Moz?

There is always a demand for the old 60's music, in and around Orlando, played by live bands.

You never can tell Mick, it could lead to a second ' British Invasion', complete with a team of geriatric nurses on hand. unionflag

Going back to the music question - here in Norfolk we've just finished performing our annual panto'. I performed in it myself, but enough of that, and during it I celebrated my 70th birthday, which makes me 10 times the age of some of those with whom I was on stage. In defence of the youngsters and their knowledge of the music of their generation, I have to say they knew the words to the modern songs used off by heart. The only song I was involved with was the finale, 'Electric Dreams'. They knew the words off by heart; I didn't and stood there mouthing like a ventriloquist's dummy. The youngsters have their favourites as we did and I would defend our generation's music against theirs at all times but like much else, it's all a generation thing.