Nottingham tram footage

It's a great insight to the Nottingham of 1902 . . . I wonder if there's anymore footage of Nottingham available on DVD throughout the decades.... I'm over in Nottingham in March, will be interesting to see the changes since my last visit

Just imagine if Nottingham had retained her local communications infrastructure, (Tramlines and all of the suburban stations), she would now be the envy of many other cities!

Easy to say in hindsight, of course, and I suspect that it seemed to be the right idea at the time when they retired the Trams, (followed by the Trolley Busses), and then shutdown all of our peripheral stations and, (of course), the 'jewel in Nottinghams crown' the Victoria Station.

Berlin has an excellent transport network which consists of trains, trams, a subway and a number of ferries, (that take you across some of the local lakes), and a day ticket, (which only costs a few Euros), allows you unlimited travel on ALL of these throughout the day!

A great piece of old movie.I wonder what the city centre smelled like in mid summer,with all that 'oss muck'. that must of been around.

Did they employ men to clear it up, hence the term, 's--t shovellor'. :unsure:

Alright for the Germans...We've had to renew our city bit by bit over the years.The Germans were able to plan things out in advance thanks to our lads leaving them a level playing field.We even provided them with loads of hardcore for foundations already in place.

The beautiful water clock, whenever I took the kids into town, we always had to see the water clock!!...................some memories of my 2 daughters, brings a lump to my throat.............. :)

• Upvote 1

The 1974 video is very interesting . . . I have one question the building next to the Theatre Royal, not the Hotel, the other side was it a shop or did it form part of the old Empire Theatre?????

SeanF,

I think you are looking at part of the Theatre Royal complex.

The Empire was alongside the TR but demolished in the 70s to form the new building: -

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM003835&pos=11&action=zoom&id=55283

• Upvote 1

Seem to remember talk of a Watmoughs next to the Royal in Goldsmith Street.

When poohbear comes on line, he will know and advise correctly.

Yes, there was a Watmough's there on the Goldsmith Street side. I know because my mum used to work there for a while (probably 1969).

She remembers Jimi Hendrix coming in to buy a packet of fags (maybe he was on at the Theatre Royal ?)

Next door to Watmough's on the right was Jack Brentnall's music shop. A mate of mine worked in there selling guitars.

Then next to that was the County Hotel (at least I think that's what it was called).

I remember the police investigating when a woman booked in there and killed herself and they had no idea who she was.

Also on Goldsmith Street was Selecta Disc. Went there a lot in those days.

• Upvote 1

The 1974 video is very interesting . . . I have one question the building next to the Theatre Royal, not the Hotel, the other side was it a shop or did it form part of the old Empire Theatre?????

This one?

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM002253&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM010292&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1

:) There was a time when people would stand in awe at the foot of the beautiful Emmett Water Clock; now people with blank faces congregate to sit around it. Have we taken this imaginative construction for granted? :)

• Upvote 1

That's the building between the Theatre Royal and the Empire......Anyone know what it's use was. I only ask as I've read that the Empire was demolished in 1969, but this building seemed to remain till 1974

I wonder if the Emmett water clock was partly the inspiration for the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics? just a tad similar......................