Hello, I am a new member and am looking for a photo of the Colliers Arms in Cinderhill and some details of when it was last in use and when it was demolished. My Dad was asking about pubs in that area that are no longer there. We remember the recent ones that have demolished like the Barleycorn, Park Tavern and Red Lion and have found photo's of them but sadly not the Colliers Arms. Would be grateful if anyone has a photo of it or can point me in the right direction to view one. Thanks

• Upvote 1

Thank you, it looks like the road down to Cinderhill but it's a pity you can't see if there is the pub at the side. I've tried searching images of the pub but can't see any at all. There must be some around but just where to find them I don't know.

Hi, The Colliers Arms stood at the side of Babbington Colliery on the A610 at Cinderhill. The pit closed in 1986 and the site is now the Phoenix Tram Station and also there is the Beefeater Millers Barn. Hope this helps you locate where it was.

There is a picture of the Colliers arms somewhere on this site but unfortunately it is a pic of the place after it burned down,(main building still there but the roof gone) I used to go there in the 70's/80's, also if you google (other search engines available) some of the clashes when the miners strike was on there is some film footage of the Colliers in the background when the mounted police charged the flying pickets from somewhere near the Broxtowe inn down towards Cinderhill island, hope this has been of some help

Rog

• Upvote 1

Thanks plantfit, I have tried searching for the footage you mention but no luck. I have tried many sites to find a photo of the Colliers but it seems as if there are not any out there, very annoying but will keep trying.

• 2 years later...

Last time I frequented the Colliers was after the Hillsborough tragedy. The Guinness was brilliant that night.

Bad books on getting home though !!!!!

I was expected in around 6.

• 1 year later...

Wasn't there a really old pub up there by the colliery? Maybe an older version of The Collier's?  I seem to remember a small pub up there in the 50's.

The original Collier's Arms was a little higher up. It was demolished before the war.

• 3 weeks later...

The first and last time I drank in this place was on New Year's Eve 1975 after leaving the Whitemoor. We were with Pete and Babs Sharpe who, as well as us, wondered what on this earth we were doing in the place. Glasses were being launched across the room, the landlord was in a state of panic and was about to have a breakdown by the look of him. We decided to go to Petes to enjoy the last of the evening and left them all to it. What a dive. One of those places that was better demolished than it was standing.

• Upvote 1

#20 Must be a yearly event? Good few years ago we where celebrating New Years Eve with friends in the old Broxtowe Inn over the road now the Nuthall, it kicked off on the second verse of Auld Langs Syne glasses, bottles. the windows went in, women screaming & crying, a few where playing football with a youths head, I have seen better pub fights, but this was up there.

Whats yours?    

• Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

Great Guinness there.

• 5 months later...