Around 1965/6, we used to finish our mad Friday evenings ( Which started in such exotic places as the Lark's Nest', Nuthall.. the 'Highland Laddie', Kimberley and 'Langley Mill and Aldercar Working Men's Club and Institute.. Ltd'), by hitting the scene that was Ilkeston.

IIRC, there was pub called the Three Horse Shoes, after which we went to Ilkeston Bowling Alley.

We were on the edge... ;)

• Upvote 4

The Three Horseshoes in Ilkeston! You were on the edge..... Of sanity. LOL

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

I once had a car stolen from my driveway and received a phone call from Ilson police station that they had found it in Cotmanhay.

They said they had my HT lead, the steering lock was broken and the ignition switch was smashed, I should collect the lead and go get my car back, they would not be accompanying me as it was a 'no go' area.

When I arrived at the car some cross-eyed inbred was giving me loads of hand signals, I told my wife to get out of the estate, I fitted the lead, messed with the wiring and started it up. Time to go! I had the window partially open when the Cotmanhay redneck lookalike arrived. He slurred "You the F*** fuzz? get out the car." and put his hand through the window to pull the wires apart. I wound the window up grabbed his arm and showed him how quickly a 2.0 ltr. SRI could accelerate. At about 30mph it was my pleasure to drop the window and let go of his arm.

I dropped into Ilson cop shop and told them what had happened but they apparently were unable to hear me.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Had rellies who lived on Cotmanhay Rd way back in the fifties. Name of Pilkington's. They then moved to Blake St?? Have memories of Sunday afternoon post-dinner, walks along the Erewash, probably circa 1955. 'Twere nice it 'twere.

Ex father in law was in a indian restaurant ? one night with a pal of his who just happened to vomit the ten pints & the rest of his stomach contents all over their table.

Customers from nearby tables upped & left without paying & FIL's pal was asked to leave. FIL carried on eating his meal as normal !

Pal who was evicted picked op a temp road sign & threw it through the restaurant window, FIL STILL carried on eating !

Those Ilson types could show those Aspleh types how to have a good time !

• Upvote 3

I had the misfortune to live in Ilkeston from late 2005 to 2011. Had only lived there 2 mth and someone let themselves in the front door took my car keys and drove off whilst I was sitting on the sofa. Saw my car drive in front of the window. Police never charged anyone and my 1 year old mini was found abandoned a week later in moor green reservoir .

Couldn't wait to get out of Ilkeston . What a sh** hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

eemI remember back 1964 we would go to adance hall Ilson called the Premier i think then go across the road at the taffic island to a pub can not remember the name to play darts and also to the bowling alley i remember saturday night buying a hot dog from a vendor on Bath st.best hot dogs i have ever had ,do they still have a market day?Sounds a bit of a shady place these days.

10 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

I remember back 1964 we would go to adance hall Ilson called the Premier

I've been in Ilkeston a few times in recent years and there are some good parts and some you'd prefer to avoid. It's a bit identikit....a lot of the centre has been pedestrianised and the usual number of empty shops. They still have a market in the market place and it's fairly well supported.

I've done a bit of digging and the Premier Dance Hall was apparently on Market Street; you can travel down it..... https://goo.gl/maps/64tebE2c2aBGtyoV8  but there's clearly no Dance Hall now. The best you might get is this....

cYIYjtH.jpg

Around 1966, a gang of us would go out on Friday nights in an A55 Cambridge van.  We'd often call at the Highland Laddie in Kimberley to pick up another of our number and play darts, before setting off to the exotic surroundings of Langley Mill and Aldercar Working Men's Club and Institute... Ltd....  where we would play a few games of snooker.  I think there were a couple of other places we'd visit too, before we hit Ilkeston for the Grande Finale.  This would entail a pint or so in, I think, the Three Horse Shoes, before we went off to Ilkeston Bowling Alley for a couple of frames and then home.

My long and intimate association with Ilkeston doesn't end there, as my 1969 'bookings' diary shows that I was booked to front the 'Magic Roundabout Disc Show' on Weds 5th March 1969 at the ' Granby Club'. Ilkeston. Other than the diary entry, I have no memory whatever of this.  :blink:

Ooopss.. just noticed I wrote something similar about this 'upthread' in 2016.  Just goes to prove that yer short term memory goes before yer long term memory... .. or summat.

• Like 1

In the 1950’s my Dad had his yard in Ilkeston and occasionally as a young lad on I would go there with him. One of his blokes, must have been a very good guy, took me with him to some nearby river that was teaming with fish. From the bank he was able, no joke, to “tickle” and catch the fish with his bare hands.

After that the nearest I got to Ilkeston was the occasional visit to the pub at Trowell corner (can’t remember the name) looking for a bit of change.

Can't recall a Marsdens in Ilkeston,,,but worked and caught many lifters at the big Coop,,,nice store.

Also met one of my EXs family at the Regency rooms,,,had to climb over a big fight on the staircase to get to the Regency rooms,,,,yes it was my EXs family,,,happy days..............

• Like 1