Hello from the Media Archive for Central England (MACE)

Hi everyone

I'm Emma Morley from the Media Archive for Central England (MACE), the screen archive for the East and West Midlands. MACE are a regstered charity and we aim to preserve film tape and digital moving image material with a cultural, historical and social significance to the Midlands.

Some of you may have already come across our website. We have a number of clips of Nottingham and Nottinghamshire that are free to view on our website. We also have many other catalogue entries online that can be browsed. Much of our material is still held on film - this is mainly made up of the regional news/magazine show ATV Today as well as some Central News footage. But we also hold a series of small amateur collections that capture beautiful images of the city and county.

I was born in Nottingham myself so I have a passion for the city (although I admit I'm a Derbyshire girl now!). We've joined the forum to share news of our Nottinghamshire collections with you. Do browse our website at www.macearchive.org and if you have any questions, message us here, or email info@macearchive.org

To raise funds to fulfil our charitable aims of preserving our collections and providing affordable public access to them, we released a 2-disc DVD of archive films of Nottingham in 2011. The DVD, Nottingham on Film (1920 to 1980) is available from our webshop at http://www.macearchive.org/mace-shop.html

Happy browsing!

Best wishes

Emma

Hi Emma welcome to Nottstalgia :)

Look forward to any information you can post.

You will find members here to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

• Upvote 1

just had a quick look at the site was wondering if the nottingham dvd is available to buy locally

Hi macearchive

I see that you also sell copies of the DVD on ebay which is particuarly useful for anyone living outside the UK since it's easy to pay by Paypal.

It may be a good idea to offer the option to pay by Paypal on your main site since paying by credit card from abroad is often such a hassle these days.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys.

We use a company in Nottingham to dispatch our DVDs and their webshop system doesn't have a Paypal facilty, but all our DVDs are also available on Ebay, Amazon, Waterstone Marketplace and Play.com.

We do find Paypal to be very useful for us too.

Thanks for posting this, it's useful to know how people prefer to purchase online.

Emma

Me again

Yes, Nottingham on Film is available to buy at Nottingham Tourism Centre in the city centre as well as Djanogly Art Gallery. We hope it will stocked in further Nottingham outlets soon.

If you have any suggestions of other stockists, please do let us know. We're a small charity and are slowly spreading the word about our website and DVDs!

Thanks everyone

Emma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So who's this guy and where is he sweeping , thought at first one of the shots was Parliament Street ?

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/midlands-news-23091964-road-sweeper-nottingham/MediaEntry/7477.html

I do remember him around Town in the 60's, amazing how these things come back to you!

Difficult to make out the location, could be a few places, the last shots seem to be at the bottom of a hill, perhaps Victoria Street or King Street? First shot looked like junction of Milton street and Parliament Street?

My first thought was looking up towards Victoria Street (which would mean he's at the top of Exchange Walk), but the other surroundings don't seem to fit. For instance, it would mean the Market Square was across the road, and it doesn't look like that in the film.

sweep.jpg

The brown marbly finish under the shop window looks familar .

edit : why did I say it was brown .....its a black and white film ?

• 2 months later...

Another short video from Radford 1967 , from the Mace archives, protesting against rehousing . Doesn't give the road name .

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/midlands-news-25041967-protests-by-residents-at-radford/MediaEntry/10413.html

Another Mace clip from 1958 .

Its a wedding shot of a marriage between "fairground families".

You can clearly see a sign for Hibble and Mellors . Wonder where they were all parked up ? Maybe Station Rd , where the Carlton Wakes were held or off Foxhall Rd ?

Looks to me like St.Pauls church , Carlton and there is a marriage in the district , in the right quarter of the year , for a Violetta Mellors and a Raymond Armstrong .

Also like the Vauxhall Velox ? wedding car .

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/midlands-news-20011958-wedding-of-two-fairground-families-nottinghamshire/MediaEntry/2332.html

• Upvote 1