Saturday Morning Pictures

Just want to see how many of u out there was at the ABC picture house or the gurmont ? Irememeber getting a Bus from the bottem of wilford rd to town on sat morn, pics from think it was 9 till 12 ice cream and bus back and all for under a bob..

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born in 1950 , Things changed so quickly from then. My grandmother , hairdresser shop in Vernon Road Basford , moving to W. Bridgford , I still remember the smell of that shop, ammonia, perms et

Memory correction to #67. It wasn't Mansfield but Edinburgh !! Not much difference there then!

I remember it as Saturday afternoon at the Imp, Rayp.

I thought it must have been because I`m older than you but I do remember it going up to 4d! Shock to the system that, as it only left 2d for tuffies out of the tanner to go with.

What`s that about a free orange? I never got one, I`m sure. But I do remember loads of orange peel being thrown about at strategic moments during the programme. Perhaps it was just the kids in the posh seats on the balcony who got an orange.

When my Mum worked at the Cavendish and Empress cinemas, I used to get in free for the Saturday matinees. That was during the 1950's. Mostly "horse operas"

Don't feel too bad Eileen, at least you went to the Saturday pictures, I never did and didn't even know about them till this forum.

Oh no!! A vital part of your development missed. Until you`ve been in a 'kids` matinee' with shouts and jeers responding to every action on screen and small projectiles filling the air at climactic moments you`ve never really been to the pichers!

I always knew I was deprived! I can't ever remember any of the local kids saying they were going to the Saturday matinees either, perhaps because the nearest was a bus ride away [or they kept it secret so they didn't have to take me]

• 2 years later...

Who was an ABC Minor? Reading through other threads about St Anns and Nottingham cinemas set me thinking about our eagerly awaited weekend entertainment.

Saturday morning pictures was an institution for us and kids of our generation and along with a gang from our street we paid our 6d at the Empress and displayed our pin badges with pride. The Cavo (Cavendish) also had a loyal following but I think their entrance fee was less than the Empress, so we had a better class of hooligan in our club!

After queing for the doors to open and learning various aspects of street survival, we were ushered in by the maroon suited and gold braided commisionnaire who was the bouncer and keeper of order (as best as he could). We were the led in the singing of our club song, something about us spending our tanners and knowing our manners, being Minors of the ABC! The mood of the audience could not be considered as quiet perception of the screen offerings, and many times the film was stopped and the commisionnaire stepping up to the stage to threaten us with cessation of proceedings if we didn't quiten down.

The programme consisted of weekly serials such as Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe in the lead role, an American "cliff hanger", Roy Rogers and a batch of cartoons.

Which saturday morning pictures did you go to?

• Upvote 2

Ours was the tuppenny rush at the Regal in Carlton, or fourpence on the balcony, on the front row so you throw sweet wrappers, ice cream cartons, fizzy drink on the kids below.

Mick, your description of Leno's was exactly how we knew of it, only went once and having been used to the luxury of The Empress, could understand why poor old Leno's suffered from that particular soubriquet!

Like Stu, I was an ABC Minor at the Metropole every Saturday morning in late 50's and early 60's. probably my first taste of independence, going somewhere without my parents!

• Upvote 1

Like Stu, I was an ABC Minor at the Metropole every Saturday morning in late 50's and early 60's. probably my first taste of independence, going somewhere without my parents!

I loved it! I recall seeing a live band there one Saturday morning at the Minors. they were a local group know as The Beat Men (I think they're actually still around as 'The Fabulous Beat Men'. It was all a bit close to me, I told everyone that my sister had taken me to see The Beach Boys!

Sadly this wasn't true but my big sis did go to see Freddie and the Dreamers there!

Forum on Aspley Lane, sat afternoon.

Gaumont in town, sat morning, which I remember with great affection (first girlfriend) ! She was about 10, me a year older.

I was a Forum frequenter; Flash Gordon, Batman, Charlie Chan (& number one son) 3d downstairs 6d upstairs, my old mum cpould remember when kids got into the flicks for a clean jam jar!!

Another cinema was the one at bottom of Bar Lane, name escapes me, but was made to go there with big sis to watch Pat Boone in April Love, amongst other sloppy dross!!

I loved it! I recall seeing a live band there one Saturday morning at the Minors. they were a local group know as The Beat Men (I think they're actually still around as 'The Fabulous Beat Men'. It was all a bit close to me, I told everyone that my sister had taken me to see The Beach Boys!

Sadly this wasn't true but my big sis did go to see Freddie and the Dreamers there!

How funny is that?!!! A good friend of mine was in The Beatmen at that time, and until recent years actually. His name is Bill Moseley, We've been friends for over 40 years. They were very successful in the early 60's, even going over to Hamburg, just like the Beatles. I remember Freddie and the Dreamers playing at the Metropole but didn't go to see them, I don't think.

:) 'One at bottom of Bar Lane' Paulus, was the 'Aspley' pictures; later turned into a Ballroom and called the 'Commodore'.

PS: I do sympathise with you Paulus for being made to go and watch Pat Boone in 'April Love'; well remember when he was number 1 with this and all the girls were crazy on him - oh but he was so handsome but oh but he was oh so boring! :sleeping: