Saturday Morning Pictures

How funny is that?!!! A good friend of mine was in The Beatmen at that time, and until recent years actually. His name is Bill Moseley, We've been friends for over 40 years. They were very successful in the early 60's, even going over to Hamburg, just like the Beatles. I remember Freddie and the Dreamers playing at the Metropole but didn't go to see them, I don't think.

That's a nice coincidence, Lizzy. You could maybe ask him if he lived on James Street in Arnold in those days as I think some/all of the band did. Us kids at the nearby school used to besiege the front door of their terraced house for autographs!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born in 1950 , Things changed so quickly from then. My grandmother , hairdresser shop in Vernon Road Basford , moving to W. Bridgford , I still remember the smell of that shop, ammonia, perms et

Memory correction to #67. It wasn't Mansfield but Edinburgh !! Not much difference there then!

Another Pat Boone song, I think from the film; Bernadine, those 2 songs have 'haunted' me throughout my life, my big sis had much to answer for.........................but she's still my big sis, love her heart!!

I was much to old to be a minor in the fifties as I was in my twenties but my sister who was nine years my junior used to go to the Metropole A.B.C. minors and used to drive us mad singing a song they used to sing there something like "We are boys and girls well known as the minors of thje A.B,C.". I did use to go to the cinemas a lot though, The Metropole, The Roxy, The Adelphi. The Futurist, The Kings, The Bonnington, and the Curzon. In my teens I sometimes used to go twice on a Saturday evening, when we had finished playing football Saturday afternoon we used to go to the Roxy then catch a bus to Sherwood and catch the second house at the Metropole.

Dennis

That's a nice coincidence, Lizzy. You could maybe ask him if he lived on James Street in Arnold in those days as I think some/all of the band did. Us kids at the nearby school used to besiege the front door of their terraced house for autographs!

Just spoken to my friend Bill the ex Beatman and although he didn't live in Arnold he said the rest of them did, have you still got your autograph book?!!

Just spoken to my friend Bill the ex Beatman and although he didn't live in Arnold he said the rest of them did, have you still got your autograph book?!!

Unfortunately not! They were very much celebrities to us kids at the time and I remember the excitement when it was discovered they were living right near the school! Their house was little terraced place near Mrs. Taylor who had a little sweet shop, might have been next door maybe. James Street went from Cross Street in Arnold to what was College Street at the time which was between High Street School and the junior school for girls. College Street and the schools are now built on with an elderly peoples residential home but James Street is still there and still quite similar.

I just remember what felt like about four thousand kids banging on their door after school had ended for the day! Recall also being pretty excited at seeing them at the Metropole too - like watching The Beatles to a youngster!

both the ritz and the regal at carlton saturday afternoon as loppy said prefered the ritz myself so had to get there early would go for a sixpenny mix at mitchells chippy on the other corner then get in the queuing up ice cream at half time break for afters but it also depended on were all your mates were going that day .

The Tudor at West Bridgeford was where my parents sent me on a Saturday morning back in the 50s. Bus ride with others of same generation from RoT.

Realised years later it was the parents way to have time alone together without the kids!

Sunday School as well................................ slywink

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can remember going to the Gaumont boys and girls club every Saturday morning. It always started with a dance compitition, where

half a dozen kids would go on to the stage usually to do the twist, you could win a tennis racket ooh! i entered once didn't win though.

Remember going to the Gaumont.

One Sturday I remember they had a pop group playing on the stage, they were called the "Beatmen".

On your birthday you would get a card & a free ticket for the next Saturday matinee.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

My local Saturday visit as a young teen was to the Metropole ABC Minors Club and I was eventually appointed a Monitor, supposedly suprvising the smaller kids. As I got older (around 1958) I gravitated to the Gaumont Saturday show as you got a live Rock n'Roll Band playing between the B movie and main feature. Regulars there were IVAN JAY & THE JAYMEN and the lead guitarist was Graham Barnes, later to find fame as ALVIN LEE both solo and with his band TEN YEARS AFTER.. what a great musician he was. Sadly he passed away earlier this year. Coincidentally for many years we lived next door to his older sister Janice and my wife still regularly sees her socially.

We didn't have a local flea pit at Bilborough but Me and me brother used to go to my Aunty's house at Radford on a Saturday and in the afternoon would go with our cousin to the cinema on Ilkeston Rd. It didn't have a name so we just called it the Ilko Road pictures. Then we go back for tea. Happy days.

I remember 'The Globe' near Trent Bridge. I think it was threpence downstairs and a tanner upstairs. I also remember when the fight scenes started between the Cowboys and Injuns, all the lads on the front row would get out their seats and start scrapping in front of the screen, whilst we fired dried peas from pea-shooters at them. I had an artillery one bought from Keevas which was about ten inches long and deadly accurate from a range of about thirty feet. and the ammunition was bought from Days the greengrocer on Arkwright St.

Then after the flicks, it was off to Frank Iliffe the barbers on Kirk White St for a 'Short back and sides.Then over the road for a 'sit down' at Hilder's fish and chip shop, for fish chips and peas tea and bread and butter for 1/-7d Which just about finished off the half crown that me Dad give me.

• Upvote 1

'The Globe' near Trent Bridge, was where I used to go as a kid. My eldest brother and I were speaking about the Globe cinema on Friday. He recalled the time he had a date with a girl he fancied and borrowed a Teddy Boy jacket off his mate, Albert Morley who lived on Holme Street, off Meadow Lane. Albert was, like everyone else at that time, a massive Elvis Presley fan and had the dark looks and long sideboards (sideburns) like Elvis. Albert had only just had the jacket made and told my brother to take care of it. My brother met his date and went into the Globe cinema to watch the film. They were cuddled up in the dark when it all kicked off. A fight started in the balcony and everyone, as usual, joined in. My brother was hit with an ice cream that went all over his mates jacket. He tried to clean it off but it was stained and when he gave the Teddy Boy jacket back to Albert Morley they had a big row and started fighting. The Globe cinema was a rough place in those days but that was how it was everywhere in the 50's.

Mine was the Majestic, top of The Wells road and Woodborough road.

The 31 bus stopped outside but afterwards we used to run home and spend the return busfare.

Sometimes if it was a special occasion we would walk down Woodthorpe drive and go to the Metropole in Sherwood.

Strangely enough, I always remember that my wife, 2 weeks overdo with our first child, went into labour at the Metropole whilst watching Clockwork Orange !

Hiram holiday was before my time for Saturday morning pics, but I used to watch the TV series with Wally Cox which I think was on a Sunday afternoon in the late 50's.

Anyone remember an earlier American comedy series "I Married Joan" with Jim Bacchus which was another Sunday afternoon TV prog ?

:biggrin: I well recall Sunday afternoon viewing on the telly: 'Sergeant Bilko', 'I Love Lucy', 'I Married Joan'.

Also, recall Hiram Holliday on the telly, I believe 7.pm, during the week. I absolutely adored him with his Big hat, Big mac - no, I don't usually fall for fellas in macs - Big glasses and cheeky smile and he was so tiny; was fascinated by the character. :biggrin: