Saturday Morning Pictures

Welcome new members ,I am one myself everyone's very helpful

The Adelphi Bulwell was our port of call every Saturday morning.we sang along to the bouncing ball,if you sat underneath the circle you got pelted with ice cream cones and worse.

Next weeks film was introduced and stopped as the bad guy made an appearance or Zorro pulled out his sword then,More next week!i think it cost a shilling !

No popcorn and Hagen Dass in the fifties!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born in 1950 , Things changed so quickly from then. My grandmother , hairdresser shop in Vernon Road Basford , moving to W. Bridgford , I still remember the smell of that shop, ammonia, perms et

Memory correction to #67. It wasn't Mansfield but Edinburgh !! Not much difference there then!

those picture houses bring back some memmorys i use to go to the player secondrey school i think about my school friends a lot and i wonder how they all went on , my name was janet young and i lived in beckley road broxtowe i left school in 56 and my first job was at boots in beeston them were the days would love to know what happened to player school i love going to the castle and trent bridge had many a time on a sunday with my mum and sisters as i grew up went in the cocked hat with my mum and dad spent many a time in the music room would love to go back to nottingham and see how its changed .

• Upvote 3

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Janet1940. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. I'm afraid the Cocked Hat was demolished a while ago. I used to see the Rock & Roll acts there. We had Shakin' Stevens on a few times during his early career and he always put on a great show.

So did I, Ian. Crazy Cavan always put on a great show and I've seen them many times. Two friends of mine, Bob White and his girlfriend, Pat, used to put on the Rock & Roll shows at the Cocked Hat. They were two really warm and friendly people and it was tragic how Bob died of cancer at such a young age. I saw Pat a couple of years ago and she was doing fine and had married a chap in the Army. Another chap I used to like at the Cocked Hat was Freddie 'Fingers' Lee. He played the piano and it was like watching Jerry Lee Lewis. He had a glass eye and would take it out and put it in his beer glass which was on his piano. Great nights at the Cocked Hat.

Hey micheal you must be "fizzic" just going to mention Freddie!! Cocked hat was some venue- first place i danced to Link and red cadillac black moustache-- could move then!!

Hi Janet ,was the Cocked Hat then owned by the Mannering family?

I went to school and a French exchange with their daughter Carole,might have the wrong place age you know!

The one I am thinking about was facing the park and bowling green not long after the roundabout to bulwell and Broxtowe.I think there was a pub called The Red Lion on the way,but that has also be knocked down!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the Globe, near the bridge, We called it the flea pit, no idea why,?. But on Saturday mornings catch a 21 bus from West Bridgford, or walk, and see FLASH GORDON , Killed!! Then next week - HE WAS ALIVE t'was amazing ! Was it the Odeon near the Square , used to be called the Ritz, - I saw The Searchers, Freddie and the Dreamers, The Dakotas, Etc there. My mother saw Shirley Bassey there and others and Adam Faith AND in Central Avenue was one of the best jazz clubs in UK , the Dancing Slipper, with Johny Dankworth and Chloe Lane . My mother saw Julie Andrews aged 12 at the Empire. Then over to Gordon's tripe shop over the road with mushy peas.

re Wilford Grove - no not me . I lived in West Bridgford and then Edwalton, The Adams line came from Newcastle but my local ties came from the Bennett and Burroughs family in Bulwell and Lincs.

• Upvote 3

The 3 cinemas in the meadows were: The Grove, Globe and Imperial, frequented all of them one time or another.

Don't forget there was also The Queens, end of Arkwright St, although it closed in the fifties.

Hi Janet1940, me and me sister went to Players sec, 1956-60, we lived on Frinton Rd, N021 then Shipley Rd, No6 and 27, dont know if you knew me sister, Olive and her friend Tina Smedley, probably left by then, but welcome to the site, oh my name is Terry

I was born in 1950 , Things changed so quickly from then. My grandmother , hairdresser shop in Vernon Road Basford , moving to W. Bridgford , I still remember the smell of that shop, ammonia, perms etc, She still ran the shop..

And the devolopment of W Bridgford towards Edwalton beyond Valley Road. Things calmed down after that initial growth in 1950 -53 and I was able to play anywhere , over Ridgeway Close to the fields and , in the Summer, the gypsies and the horses, and the woods behind the pub, the Meadow Covert. All gone now. Housing tracts. Which is probably what they thought in 1951. Twas a good childhood - gathering wood for Guy Fawkes, no parents wondering where you were. Being responsible , as the first one home , at 5, to light the fire, getting the key out of the outside toilet roll. Going in and out od neighbours houses without any questions, - it was a COMMUNITY. No crime. No traffic. One person in our street had a car and he was Canadian - Mr Lloyd - we helped him pick peas and tomatoes from his green house out the back and could eat all we wanted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Flash Gordon & the Claymen,Our Gang,Children's film foundation films all at the Gaumont.

Then there was the ABC minors club- my Mother had rang the gaffer at the ABC and on the Saturday morning he kept shouting for: "Ian Dawson's birthday...is he in today"?

No way was I dancing to Simple Simon Says..for a sodding fruit parfay.., stayed rigid!

went to see 633 squadron at the gaumont, remember the gods, wanted to sit up there but it was closed, had to sit in the balcony, mind not many there it was a work day and i scived off, they had big guns in front of the screen, think the price was about 2s 4d, not my favourite cinema, that was the Elite, dead plush, local saturday matinee was at the Forum Aspley Lane and loved to go to Ilkeston Rd flicks, saw disneys Peter Pan there, came out and tried to reach the second star to the left but landed in somebodys garden, wonderful days

Saturday afternoon lining up round the block to get into the Ritz, Carlton back in the fifties. The manager used to come outside and tell us to push off to the Regal, the Ritz was full. Never liked the Regal it was run down compared to the Ritz.

• 2 months later...

Was it 3 hours? Crikey!

The Ghost of Monks Island and other dated films kept me captivated, the large high chandelier in the Gaumont gave an optical illusion of it ' shaking'.

Sneaked in with my Brothers to see Carry On Camping..'69?

Recall one day seeing the rear of The Gaumont from the top of the car park on Wollaton St.

• 2 weeks later...