Saturday Morning Pictures

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born in 1950 , Things changed so quickly from then. My grandmother , hairdresser shop in Vernon Road Basford , moving to W. Bridgford , I still remember the smell of that shop, ammonia, perms et

Memory correction to #67. It wasn't Mansfield but Edinburgh !! Not much difference there then!

• 1 month later...

Anybody remember the Boulevar   cinema on Hyson Green? Now there was a "flea pit ". The Leno's was a bit better, but my local was the Apollo on Berridge Rd East, opposite Leslie Rd. I went there to see a film with Bill Haley and the Comets singing Rock Around The Clock. Opened up rock-n-roll to me, loved it ever since. No, I wasn't a Teddy Boy either. The dances on Sat noghts at the Girls club at the bottom of Noel St were my stepping stone to the Locarno. Watching the girls dance, till I could pluck up the courage to ask.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Futurist was a  bit posh for us Bestwood Lads in the 50s NBL...........by the way the R was missing off the front a few years ago,.....is it back yet ?

I well remember the Lenos, Boulevard and the Grand when I was a nipper living in Bridlington St. Great days indeed. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2013 at 3:14 PM, .... said:

Lovely post, Commo.

Mine was the place below, seen in slightly sad condition here.

NTGM003513.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM003513&prevUrl=

Went to the Metropole in mid-late 50's. Returned empty lemonade bottles to local sweet 'tuffee' shop to raise the tanner entrance fee to see Flash Gordon, Roy Rogers, etc. 'We are the boys and girls well know as, we're minors of the ABC and every Saturday all line up to see the films we like and shout and laugh with glee, etc;. Sung with gusto to the strains of Washington Post......sad, really!!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Saturday flics! There was a flea house up in Mapperley somewhere where I was living - it might well have been Saturday morning; double bills! cor - who remembers double-bills, the `B' feature and the main. But couldn't tell you anything I saw there. But absolutely remember seeing The Cruel Sea with my mother at the Odeon just up from the Market Square and I think a bunch of us went to see a musical at the same one, but which one? South Pacific maybe!

Carole, the cinema was the Mapperley Majestic.  I went there a few times as I lived in Woodthorpe but mostly I went to the Metropole in Sherwood.

• 1 year later...

It was, as I remember it,  called "The Electric Picture House", on Ilkeston Road. We used to go there in the 1940s on Saturday mornings. If the noise inside was too loud they would turn the film off and put the house lights up and tell us all off. Their (the mangement) favorite saying was "It's still going on". The best behaved kids got a ticket for another show. Afterwards we used to run all the way home playing being cowboys. .

Sadly none of those films would be allowed these days due to silly PC.

Batman would be a woman & Catwoman would be a bloke. God knows what the Penguin would be. Possibly a "Transgender" of some sort.

• Like 1

Seeing Flash Gorden mentioned above reminded me of an event when I lived in Nottm. A schoolteacher friend hired a film for the newly formed school cinema club. I was invited to the inaugural meeting of the club.

To ensure there would be a reasonably large attendance, the films were selected to be of mass schoolkid appeal.

I don't remember the first film but the second was meant to be Flash Gorden. I don't know whether it was the fault of the film hire company or of my teacher friend but the film that was sent was, in fact, Flesh Gorden - the XXX-rated version of the original.

This was in the '70's - a time of much less liberal views than now and the showing of such filth caused much consternation amongst the school governors but great appreciation amongst the pupils.

My teacher friend managed to keep his job and became an icon amongst the pupils at the school.

• 5 months later...

The Palace at Bulwell ( now Wetherspoons) was where we got in for next to nothing. As a gang of 5 ten year olds+ we clubbed together to raise the 5d to go in then one would pay and go in and once inside go to he gents, push the emergency door open in the gents loo and let the other 4 of us in.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
On 2/7/2013 at 1:10 PM, Commo said:

Who was an ABC Minor? Reading through other threads about St Anns and Nottingham cinemas set me thinking about our eagerly awaited weekend entertainment.

Saturday morning pictures was an institution for us and kids of our generation and along with a gang from our street we paid our 6d at the Empress and displayed our pin badges with pride. The Cavo (Cavendish) also had a loyal following but I think their entrance fee was less than the Empress, so we had a better class of hooligan in our club!

After queing for the doors to open and learning various aspects of street survival, we were ushered in by the maroon suited and gold braided commisionnaire who was the bouncer and keeper of order (as best as he could). We were the led in the singing of our club song, something about us spending our tanners and knowing our manners, being Minors of the ABC! The mood of the audience could not be considered as quiet perception of the screen offerings, and many times the film was stopped and the commisionnaire stepping up to the stage to threaten us with cessation of proceedings if we didn't quiten down.

The programme consisted of weekly serials such as Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe in the lead role, an American "cliff hanger", Roy Rogers and a batch of cartoons.

Which saturday morning pictures did you go to?

For us it was the Metropole, Mansfield Road, Sherwood. 1d e/w on the bus from Arnold, a tanner to go in and 3d for tuffies!

You were handed a picture card as you went in with the aim to collect the set.

We also had various tin badges pinned on our lapels...can't remember how we were awarded them

Another highlight was going up on the stage when it was your birthday and shouting down the microphone "Thank you, Minors"!

Oh yes, singing the club song..."We are the boys and girls well known as, Minors of the ABC....etc, etc"!

I seem to remember, on occasions, we also went to a kids showing at Arnold Bonnington on Saturday afternoons 

Happy Days, eh?

ABC Metropole Cinema                            i285134164325349293._szw1280h1280_.jpg

• Like 1

Our children's matinee in the Medders wasn't quite as posh as the ABC Minors. It was Saturday afternoon at the Imperial on Wilford Road - The 'Imp'.

It was the threepenny rush - went up to fourpence in about 1950. There wasn't any song or badges or anything, just a film and a serial. I think they had a few stock films they showed repeatedly. I remember a silent Charlie Chaplin film that appeared a lot.

When the film broke down everybody would shout and Boo and they'd put the lights on for a bit.

On a slightly different subject - can you remember 'A' films that children could see if accompanied by an adult? (Course you can) I remember kids standing outside the Imperial stopping people going in and asking, 'Will you take me in, Mister?' I never did but wonder about the child safety issues that could have arisen. Scary!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 4/24/2018 at 8:00 AM, jonab said:

Seeing Flash Gorden mentioned above reminded me of an event when I lived in Nottm. A schoolteacher friend hired a film for the newly formed school cinema club. I was invited to the inaugural meeting of the club. To ensure there would be a reasonably large attendance, the films were selected to be of mass schoolkid appeal. I don't remember the first film but the second was meant to be Flash Gorden. I don't know whether it was the fault of the film hire company or of my teacher friend but the film that was sent was, in fact, Flesh Gorden - the XXX-rated version of the original.

This was in the '70's - a time of much less liberal views than now and the showing of such filth caused much consternation amongst the school governors but great appreciation amongst the pupils. My teacher friend managed to keep his job and became an icon amongst the pupils at the school.

I remember in an English lesson in (I think) 1961 Mr Knowles the teacher introducing a discussion on crime fiction, asked if anyone had seen the classic noir-film Rififi.   I stuck up a hand and voluntered did he mean Rififi and the women, and I'd seen that (at the Scala that showed such films).His shoulders shook a bit as he tried to keep a straight face, rest of class collapsed, took at least 3-4 minutes out the lesson. Another one...nil win for disruption.  Scala also showed those health and efficiency films, a magnet for  the grubby mac and tissue brigade, as well as those of us who could blag our way into A  and X-rated films