Signs of Spring.

snow drops out already crocus showing there leaves daffs in the shops spring on its way

Woke up this morning, to the sound of a dove cooing.

More birds singing than of late

I saw a pair of Starlings getting 'friendly' last week. As for spring being on it's way, it's going to have to dig it's way through some more snow yet !

I wish I could get rid of the magpies that come into my garden and wreak havoc to the other birds.

We were overrun with magpies when we lived in the countryside down south, we borrowed a farmer friend's magpie trap and it worked a treat!

At least its not a sparrow hawk dropping in for a snack from the visitors to the bird table! Only way we could discourage it was to move the table to move sheltered spot.

LizzieM, what is a 'magpie trap?'.

Also called a Larsen Trap Michael. The trouble is you have to be aware of the legalities of using such equipment. It didn't really matter where we used to live! The reason why we wanted to control the magpies was because we kept guinea fowl that used to roost in a tree and lay eggs all over the garden and these eggs were a magnet to the magpies who of course were stealing songbird eggs at the same time. Hope you find a way of controlling your magpies!

Thanks, LizzieM. Because of your post I looked it up on the Internet. It tells you all about catching them but not what you are supposed to do with them when you've caught them...lol

Well I think the more unscrupulous gamekeepers kill them!! They keep one as a calling bird to encourage others into the trap.

Poor old Notts County, lose a couple of games and folks accuse them of allsorts........................... slywink

• Upvote 2

It is not unscrupullous to kill maggies they are classed as vermin afterall. Having seen first hand what they can do to eggs and nestlings I personally would not think twice about pulling ones neck.

Shot a good few in my time too.

Colin

It depends how superstitious you are I suppose. Magpies are surrounded in superstition.