low level housing to go in should be good but it will break up the community most people do not want to go only 3 flats ocupied in lenton block now and they should be moving in the next week or twomost people have had to move out of lenton to find accomidation to fit there needs that means even less ordanary community and even bigger student balance in lenton, most of the bigger houses have already been converted into multy occupation housing for students the rebuilding not due to start for at least a year and will not be finished till 20016 so the community will never get back to what it was they might have looked ugly but it was a real home for most not just somewere to live.

• Upvote 2

HOPE ALL THE RESIDENTS GET TOGETHER FOR A BIG BANG FAREWELL PARTY WHEN THEY ALL EMPTY AND MAYBE YEARLY REUNIONS

It is sad that a community has been disbanded. But I agree with the comment on the link, which said that they need to look at the homes of the Victorian and Edwardian period......Has to be said it's the only time regeneration and planning worked well...... It's time to forget building futuristic homes that no more enhance the area than the block of flats they are replacing.

• 7 months later...

That is my wife's turf. She watched them being built when she was a schoolkid and never tires of telling me about the old Willoughby street. Funny thing, my Dad was a joiner on that site when they were built.

It's hard to believe that the architects of these look alike Eastern European blocks of concrete actually won awards at the time for innovative design.Including Hyson Green and Basford.

Looking at the substantial Victorian buildings still standing in many suburbs, it seems so wasteful to see buildings constructed that are considered inadequate after only forty years. Many of us must have tents that have lasted longer.

• Upvote 1

I used to deliver milk at Balloon Woods Flats. Ye Gods. How depressing. It became the dumping ground for problem tenants. All the lifts stank of pi..... sorry - urine. In the end, nearly everyone paid with milk tokens. There were some nice people there however. I think that when you are dumped in a hole like that you just give up.

• 3 months later...

I've just posted a video showing the demolion of Lenton Court on another topic, here is the link to that topic http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11827&page=2#entry214868

Enjoy!!

Makes one wonder if they ever recovered the costs of building them, I'd take a guess and say no...

Makes one wonder if they ever recovered the costs of building them, I'd take a guess and say no...

The amount of money wasted on tower blocks in the 60s must be massive, obviously a national problem, not confined to Nottingham. The figure must run into thousands of millions.

Lenton flats lasted longer than most others; they've had a working life of more than 40 years, whereas Hyson Green, Balloon Woods, and Basford each only lasted for around 20 years.

So much for the 'experts' who told everyone that this was the future.

We've got some newpaper cuttings from when the flats were first built, saying how much they cost etc, I can't for the life of my remember where I've put them - I'll keep trying to dig them out. If I remember rightly the lenton blocks cost around £1.6 million when they were built in the 60's. If anyone is a keen mathmatician it would be fairly easy-ish to work out how much has been made back in them in rent over the years.

But then I suppose there's additional costs of works completed over the years at them etc. Then there's the issue of the fire a few years ago, although it was covered on insurance that was a hefty cost, too!

Compared to a lot of flats around the city, then Lenton flats have had a good innings. Flats definitely weren't the architectual wonder they were billed to be though!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello Lenton residents!

We're putting on an exhibition about the Lenton Flats in the Crocus Gallery. Come enjoy the food and wine at the opening event on the 10th April at 6pm till 8pm. There will be an array of art, including blueprints from Nottingham Archives, paintings from the students in Edna G Olds, photos from the builders and art from local artists. Throughout the exhibition there will be a chance to share your memories about the flats in a rare book that will be donated to Nottingham Archives, so that the Lenton Flats legacy can be preserved. You can also send me memories or photos if you would like to be included in the rare book at raddiparekh@googlemail.com. For more information please visit https://www.facebook...feoflentonflats .

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Here's a photo I took of the demolition yesterday

DSC_2726_zps5fc4df8f.jpg

And here are a couple I took in June of the robotic demolition on top of the site!

WP_20140626_046_zps0c1183e8.jpg

WP_20140626_007_zpsd0dd4ec5.jpg

There's plenty more where they came from, too! Let me know if you'd like to see any more :)

• Upvote 2

28th July 2014 - Abbey Court is no more!

28_07_2014_zps11903182.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • 8 months later...

These were around the corner from my mum on Henry road.mum had quite a few friends who lived there , all of them very proud of thier shiny new homes.

There was a good community at the beginning where are all these people going to go and what's in store for the site?

There was quite an upmarket clothes factory around there at one point.On sale day people would stand waiting for ages to get in.The brand beganI think with G ? Even in the sale we could rarely afford the sale items.

My mum took in students then after her death I sold it to what I thought was a private buyer but it became three flats ,it was at the bottom of Glouster avenue.Does anyone remember Dr Pettigrew?her surgery was at the corner ofHenry rd and Lenton Boulevard?

I liked those blocks, I think many of the residents did too. As tower blocks go they were quite good looking. What does anyone know about the great white tower on Carlton Hill? Is it lived in? It's certainly a candidate for demolition on looks alone.