Documenting Notts history, from our memories

Some superb local knowledge around here!

Quite right Stu.

And in 20, 30 years from now the younger generation will be looking all of this up on Tinternet.

Unfortunately, memories die with us, but this new found global forum, one assumes, will be a source of information for generations to come.

• 4 years later...

And a lot of information is available in second hand books.

Transactions of the Thoroton Society first published in 1897 & still published today. contains lots of stuff on Nottingham & shire.

Nottingham Civic Society does a newsletter three times a year. again lots of local information.

Also good for information are directories published by....

Drake's

Wright's

Kelly's

Blair's

But none is available on Tinternet.

You and others here are 'the interface' :)

Ho Mick.......................ain't never bin called interface before.................usually, uglyfaced or twofaced............. :laugh:

NICE TO THINK WE ARE ALL PART OF HISTORY OF NOTTINGHAM IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER THE MORE WE WRITE NOW THE MORE PEOPLE CAN LEARN IN LATER YEARS ONLY WISH MY OWN FAMILIES HAD LEFT THING ON PAPER DAIARIES STORIES FAMILY HISTORIES FOR ME AND FUTURE GENERATIONS TO READ AS FAR AS I AM AWARE THERE ARE NO PHOTOES BEFOR ABOUT LATE 60S IN MY SIDE OF THE FAMILY ALTHOUGH WE HAVE SOME OF DAVES SIDE FROM ABOUT 1880S ONE OF HIS GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER GILLOTT WHICH SAYS GELTLEMAN FARMER OF BLIDWORTH NOTTS

• Upvote 1

Its good to know its there, but not accessible to our ex pats, near and far.

I am an ex pat of 23 years, and get to Nottingham about once every 18 months or so, but every time I go to town the shops, road system, ect, ect, ect, in dear old Nottingham, seems to have changed,

This site has jogged my memory a lot of times, about things I have forgotten, or just missed with being an ex pat....

All I can say to mick2me and all the others who run this site is bouncing-thank-you-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Upvote 3

As I recall as a kid, family photography was not common. Most photo's we had taken were special occasions, and the obligatory holiday snap-shots taken at the seaside.

For years I collected photo's of the men who were soldiers in WW1, and to a lesser degree, soldiers from the Boer war.Most of these photo's were in post-card form,and the soldiers were encouraged to write to the folks back home.

It gives both a visual and written history of these young men,and are so very personal.

But like so many other things, much has been discarded.

I hope one day to finish cataloging my collection,and get it published.

mudgie we have a photo of piggys great great uncle in his boar war uniforn he was sent home and eventually died of enterict fever .in 1908 he should have recieved the kings medal from the king in london but did not recieve the invite untill the day before the presentation so was unable to get to london from his home in swanick derbyshire in time for the cerimony .

when it was his 100th birthday dave and i took a plant to put on his grave and we always take a cross and our poppies on remembrance sunday we of course never knew him but we have made sure our sonsand the younger members of piggys fammily know his story and the part he played in history.i have writen it in our family history file along with the photoes and newspaper cuttings

It's everyday lives that lose out in official histories. It is important to document the small, everyday things that could mean so much to future historians when trying to piece the past together with some degree of realism.

• Upvote 2

Well I ,for one, am glad to know that some of my memories , however tediously boring they may be to some , will be in the annals of history, (Hopefully for ever ) !

Researching a time,a place and a person in history, has always been time consuming,but very rewarding.

As a little kid I was in awe of the old men who served in the Boer war and WW1.I was aware at an early age that ordinary men fight wars, not generals.So my interest was reading the accounts of those who did the 'job' of 'getting it done'.

The every day life of all of us,is important to history,however tedious it may seem at the time.If you see or hear something you have an opinion about, make a short note and date it.

We read of the food riots,and the Luddite movement, that happened in Nottingham, these were the common folk, the ordinary people making history.

I am not sure about the 'internet', what I do know is, a book will not 'crash',or my stored info' will fly off into 'cyber space' never to return.

i have spent many hours in nottingham archives looking into family history and have been ammazed at some of the things i have discovered about both my own and daves family have of course found the murderer and the biggamist quite a few illigiiimate children on all sides of the family specialy dring late 1800 and early 1900s and when older people tell the youngsters we never had that in our day i say have you looked at your own family history or even statistics from that time you might get a shock as to how many there were,

Send me a thousand copies of that book Mudgie :)

He'll probably send you a bill as well!

But, seriously, Mudgie is right. The Fotopic saga should serve as a gypsy's warning. Incidentally I notice that folk who had posted photos on Fotopic are now able to retrieve them - but only free for a very limited time. If anyone has lost material on that site, have a look at this link. www.fotopic.net

The images hosted remotely are beyond our control.

The text is safe.

The problem I have been concerned about recently, is when we lose a member there is a possibility that PB etc accounts will be lost.

None of us will be here for ever.

I was reading where online resources are being place in peoples wills!