Uh Oh, we're in trouble

Just had this from Notts Countys official website.

PUBLISHED

21:15 10th February 2013

by Notts County Media Team

Notts County have released the following statement...

On Friday evening it was brought to the attention of the Notts County Chairman, Ray Trew, that the Football Club is due to appear in the High Court on Monday 11 February to defend a winding up petition.
This action came without any prior notification to the Chairman and his fellow Directors. After investigation, it was found that this petition was being brought by Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for PAYE payable on Wednesday 19th December 2012.
The club can state, unequivocally, that the business is completely up to date with all VAT and PAYE monies and that this action is regarded by the Board as both disruptive and damaging.
Unfortunately, we had no option other than to instruct legal counsel to represent us, but we fully expect this issue to be resolved in our favour once the judge has before him all the facts.
Once this has happened, the Board will be seeking legal advice regarding taking action against HMRC and the officer personally responsible for this and will seek to recover all costs associated with defending the action plus punitive damages for the harm suffered by the Football Club.

PUBLISHED

11:32 11th February 2013

by Notts County Media Team

An HMRC winding-up petition against the club has been dismissed in a matter of seconds on Monday morning...

Further to the statement released by the club on Sunday evening, Notts County can confirm that the winding up petition brought against the club by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs has been dismissed.
The petition was dismissed in a matter of seconds at a hearing in London on Monday morning.
Thank god for that !!
  • 5 years later...

Sad to say we are doomed. Time and effort should now be spent on putting together a side that can challenge to get Notts out of the National League and back into the Football League at the earliest possible opportunity. Hate to think that this time next year we could be struggling to avoid relegation to National League North, as Chestrfield currently are following relegation last season.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Too late now I fear. It's going to be a sad day when it's official. My in laws will be distraught.  vampire2

I've followed Notts for 60 years and there have been many low points but this season is without doubt the worst.

I just hope the new owners who Alan Hardy tells us will take over in about six weeks time can pick up the pieces and get us back into the league quickly because relegation to non league looks almost nailed on now.

Lincoln, Mansfield and Luton have come back from non league better for the experience. I just hope Notts can do the same but they need to rethink their approach. Kevin Nolan and Sam Alladyce understood that hoof ball up to a centre forward built like a brick s**t house is effective on the mud heap grounds in the lower leagues. Passing football only works when you’re in the higher leagues playing teams on decent playing surfaces.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Never a dull moment when you support Notts County.

I'm going to Meadow Lane with my son this Saturday. It's his birthday treat and I've booked the hospitality package.

If we can beat an in form Morecambe then we might, just might survive.

• Like 2

Well the Morecambe game was pretty uninspiring but the pre match Carvery was excellent.

Morecambe like many bottom half League 2 teams playing at Meadow Lane just closed it all down and wasted time. Dire to watch and Notts lacked the quality to break through.

In an attempt to lift my spirits I bought a Nottingham Football Post from February 1952 off eBay for a bargain price of £1.20.

It arrived yesterday and is a really fascinating read.

I will post again soon when I’ve digested it all.

For the record it's a white tabloid which cost 2d. and has Thomas Henry's parade of local football cartoon characters along the top.

The Notts game featured is v Portsmouth in the 4th round of the FA Cup at a frozen Meadow Lane. The attendance, wait for it, 46500. Portsmouth were second in Division 1 at the time whilst Notts were mid table in Div 2. Forest weren't playing that Saturday having been knocked out by Blackburn Rovers in the 3rd round after a replay although they were doing well in Div 2 having climbed to fourth place.

The score was 3-1 to Pompey with Lawton scoring for Notts with a header.

Finally for all those on here who think Forest have been the city's number one team for ever I should point out that in 1951/2 season Notts were in Div 2 whilst Forest were in Div 3. It didn't stay that way long though because Forest went up as Champions at the end of that season to join Notts in Div 2. A few seasons later Notts had dropped down into the new Div 4 whilst Forest had made it to Div 1 and won the FA Cup. I had no idea that the season after they won the cup ie 1959/60 Forest only avoided relegation to Div 2 by one point and Luton their opponents in the 1959 Final finished bottom and did go down.

• Like 3

If I remember correctly 1975/6 was the last season that we finished higher than Forest. Coincidentally that was the first season I started going down the  Lane. First game was on a Tuesday night in November, we beat Plymouth Argyle 1-0 thanks to an Ian Scanlon header.

Only ever been to Meadow Lane once..also in 1976.77.went with my great Uncle..first time I'd ever had a seat at a match. Final score was 3-2 with a very late goal being decisive..not sure.. think County lost after  scoring a late equaliser. Next time I saw County play was in the County Cup final.. City Ground against Forest.. won't mention the score..think it might have been Frank Gray's debut.. Good luck guys .. Nottingham needs three teams in the league!

I've been really enjoying reading my newly procured copy of The Football Post from Saturday February 2nd 1952. It's started to bring to life the stories my dad used to tell me about the Lawton era as we walked down Arkwright St to Meadow Lane in the late 50's and early 60s.

I was born in 1950 and dad took me to my first Notts game in November 1959. The 59/60 season was Notts first in the newly created Div 4 and they'd arrived there after two successive relegations from Div 2. They were promoted back into Div 3 that season and Tony Hateley made his first team debut. Notts didn't return to the second tier until the early 70s with the great Jimmy Sirrel at the helm.

Supporting Notts is in my family's genes. My mother's grandfather, born in 1871 watched them at Trent Bridge and her father and brother were also lifelong fans. My dad born in 1915 remembers seeing the great Albert Iremonger playing in goal for Notts in 1926.

He used to tell me tales of Lawton's arrival at Notts and the huge crowds that turned up to see him and the extraordinary goal scoring partnership he forged with Jackie Sewell. He told me about Eric Houghton's thunderous shot and how Notts supporters and Lawton himself were dismayed when Sewell was transferred to Sheffield Wednesday bringing to an end Notts dream of returning to the first division.He also used to say how in 1955 the death of club captain Leon Leuty from leukemia aged 35 cast a cloud over Meadow Lane and accelerated Notts demise

The story he told that I loved most was about Lawton's goal against Forest at The City Ground in December 1949.

Headlined in The Daily Express as "Lawton's Leap" here's how reporter Crawford Wright described it:

"From a corner Broome placed a high dropping centre rather farther from goal than usual. No greyhound ever left a trap quicker as he (Lawton) darted in to take his chance. He made a spectacular leap, timed the flight of the ball uncannily and nodded his head. The next thing the crowd saw was the ball hurtling past the Forest goalkeeper. Even dyed in the wool Forest fans had to applaud this piece of soccer sorcery".

A few other snippets from The Football Post of Feb 1952.

Derby were the only local club in Div 1. In February they were mid table. Manchester United were top and later champions.

Leicester and Forest were 3rd and 4th respectively in Div 2  but neither were promoted that season.

Lincoln were top of Div 3 (North) and stayed there to be promoted as champions that season.

In summary then I have to remind myself that, that was then and this is now and on Saturday Notts have another vitally important game at home to Exeter. I just hope that all those great names I've mentioned who are no longer with us will also be cheering us on to safety in the Football League.  COYP

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Hope springs eternal after today's results

Great day for the local clubs

Forest - hoping for a place in the play offs, I think an automatic promotion spot is a bit too far

Stags - Still a chance of automatic promotion

County - A good step on the way to survival.

Come on all you football fans in Nottinghamshire get on down to Meadow Lane and support the Magpies in their battle to avoid relegation. If I was there I'd be going

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Saturday's performance couldn't have come at a better time. I could hardly believe it when I looked at the score 1 minute into the game to see the mighty Pies were one up and it just got better and better.

It's so ironic how Notts home form has been their Achilles heel when last season we rarely lost. This season it could be that away wins like yesterday will keep us in the league. It's the bottom half teams at Meadow Lane who we have struggled against. They have  huge defenders who just close it down looking for a point and Notts can't break through. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Notts winning their last three away games at Crewe, Crawley and Swindon and still struggle at home although I don't expect MK Dons to park the bus when they come to Meadow Lane.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1