So having mentioned superstitions surrounding magpies,on the signs of spring topic, thought I'd see how superstitious us lot are. Do you Salute Mr Magpie, Touch wood, avoid walking under ladders, throw spilt salt over your shoulder? Know where your pet superstitions originate?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the 2nd day lately, my right palm is itching. I sincerely hope it's Right to Receive, Left to Give and not the other way round.

You must always salute a Magpie, say "good morning captain"and spit, bit messy if you're driving though. I was told that whenever I had boiled eggs I should smash the empty shells to stop witches fro

I thank my lucky stars I’m not superstitious!

I salute the first Magpie (Thanks Rog, for that one) and I do try to 'touch wood' if I've said it

You must always salute a Magpie, say "good morning captain"and spit, bit messy if you're driving though.

I was told that whenever I had boiled eggs I should smash the empty shells to stop witches from using them as boats to go out to sea and drown sailors.

• Upvote 1

when i see a jackdaw i always say good morning /afternoon / evening depending on time of day hows your family today not a superstion as such but my mum always said it so did we kids dont know if it had any thing to do with the jackdaw we had as kids till he finaly diaspeared my brother brought him home when it was very young and fed him on worms meal worm and maggots till he was able to flyhis cage was left open every day and he came and went as he liked still being fed in the evening used to land on our pram handle in the middle of netherfield much to the amazement of people who did not know him.

My mother was full of superstitions, most likely passed down along the generations. Don't put 2 spoons in one saucer, don't cross knives on the table. Don't drop a knife, it means a stranger will come. If you give someone a knife, it will cut the friendship. Same with scissors. As kids, if we saw an ambulance, we'd hold our collars till it had passed by. A chimney sweep at a wedding would bring good luck [and a mucky dress, LOL]

My mum did the crossed knives on the table thing - and if we saw an ambulance you held your collar until you saw a dog!

I have touched my collar when I saw a funeral, since I was a kid of about 10.

I dont know why I do it, I have forgotten? Sign of respect or Superstition?

A good friend in Nottingham still smashes her empty eggshells to stop theh witches sailing away in them.

Whenever you give a purse or wallet as a present, place a small coin in it before giving the gift.

Seem to recollect that crossed knives brought trouble if another person removed one of the knives or uncrossed them in the presence of he/she that initially crossed them.

When everyone starts to post their superstitions you realise how silly they all are. Oh dear, I hope nothing happens to me, having said that.!!

Well as long as you crossed your fingers when you made the post!!

Don't cut your finger/toe nails on a Friday.

An itchy right hand, you will receive money, itchy left hand, you will give money [or t'other way round?]

A cold flash (shudder) means someone walked over your grave!

• Upvote 1

Don't cut your finger/toe nails on a Friday.

An itchy right hand, you will receive money, itchy left hand, you will give money [or t'other way round?]

I was always told it was "Left to leave right to recieve" too. I am going to have to stop picking Rose Hips with my left hand.!!