• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the 2nd day lately, my right palm is itching. I sincerely hope it's Right to Receive, Left to Give and not the other way round.

You must always salute a Magpie, say "good morning captain"and spit, bit messy if you're driving though. I was told that whenever I had boiled eggs I should smash the empty shells to stop witches fro

I thank my lucky stars I’m not superstitious!

:) I wonder are people still as superstitious today, as they were back when I was a child? Back then it seemed as though most things you did received a superstitious remark from either your parents or grandparents.

Most of the superstitions remarked on by Katyjay in her earlier post followed through in our household - I'm sure it hadn't anything to do with us living on the same road!

One not mentioned: 'Never put shoes on the table'. :)

Something Old- Something new etc etc still going strong with brides...well the ones in our family anyway

I actually did that my self at our wedding.

Something old was my Great Grandads pocket watck

Something new was my suit

And I borrowed a blue hanky from my sister in law

Forgot that one Christine, it was new shoes on the table in our house, and I still keep to it. Mustn't tempt fate, LOL. Oh and don't open an umbrella inside the house.

Yep - no new shoes on the table, but I think the umbrella opening in the house was more a practical consideration (lack of room)!

Don't cut your finger/toe nails on a Friday.

An itchy right hand, you will receive money, itchy left hand, you will give money [or t'other way round?]

right to recieve left to leave i was always tought but dave always says left to recieve right to leave tish was to do with the fact you saluted with your right hand while recieving your pay tith your left hand in the forces ,

one i have just thought of dave always drops a bit of small change in open grave at a funeral to pay the ferryman

i think it is too i usually take a single rose myself to drop in colour depends on who it is white for pice red foe love yellow for friendship.

the putting of pennies on the eyes of the dead to close the eyes was said to be to pay the ferry man i am told kath

im full of them haha! Never look in the back of an ambulence cos youll end up in one. If you gift someone a handbag, wallet, purse you must allways put silver in it so that theyll allways have change in it. Allways cross the palm of someone with silver if they give you knives, scissors or razors (as a gift). 'Morning mr magpie, hows your family?'. Drop a photo - hear from an old friend. If a bee enters your house - youll hear from an enemy. If a robin perches on your fence - it brings a letter. Say white rabbits white rabbits white rabbits on the first day every month. Never have your feet/foot of the bed facing the door because you get carried out foot first when you die. Mirrors should never face the doors or stairs (More fengshui than superstition). Having healther plant(s) by your front door is meant to keep away bad spirits. 'touch wood'. not that i live by these... but it amazes me how many times my mum will say 'ooh thats unlucky!'

The ones i do live by though - Never put shoes on the table. If your ears burn your being spoke about. itchy nose is a suprise. never put a mirror facing the foot of the bed because your watched over as you sleep. money in a purse. on NYE we open the back door and the front at the same time for one minute .. To let the bad out and the good in. White rabbits white rabbits white rabbits - and black cats + the number 13 is lucky to me!

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread .

Mrs W is very superstitous and though loves birds won't have anything with pictures of birds on , in the house . That probably harks back to mining and using caged birds to detect gas .

She's also got a thing about receiving pearls . Something about pearls for tears .

Theres also the one about mixing red and white flowers , as that stands for blood and bandages.

More probably to follow as they occur !

Hospitals don't generally like red and white flowers as it means death!!

I've heard of the red and white flowers being bad luck, pearls too, but opals were worse luck. My mum always said it was bad luck to bring peacock feathers into the home.

Anyone else open their back and front doors on NYE to let the bad luck out and good luck in?

Anyone else open their back and front doors on NYE to let the bad luck out and good luck in?

No but we have to put a plate outside the front door with a slice of bread , a piece of coal and a silver coin on it before midnight . Then a tall dark man is supposed to bring it in after midnight , unfortunately theres only me ( baldy ) to do that job !

I thought it was supposed to be a tall, dark, STRANGER!

I thought it was supposed to be a tall, dark, STRANGER!

You are probably right but if we waited for one of them the plate would still be outside now . Its a bit quiet round here.