Does anyone remember this place, think it was in Hockley. We would go to the Salutation, Flying Horse, then Frodos. They didn't sell beer just wine, cider and my choice-Pernod!!

We would finish at the Sal, I can still hear 'Benny and the Jets' and 'bluebird' blasting out, then off up to Mount St bus station to get the last bus home-11.10 weekdays or 11.45 Saturdays!!

On the subject of wild and wonderful places to drink in the seventies there was the Bier Keller entertainment provided by Karl and The Eidlebergers, drinking Steins of lager and eating huge German sausages on a Sunday night. Thursdays we went to the Tryst at the Strathdon on Derby road where Werner was spinning the discs to always include Freebird and You'll Never Walk Alone

Looks like Frodos and Warrow's/Worro's might be the same place according to this:

'Went to town with Hanks Dennis and Deke. Went to the Sal, Yates, The Bell and Frodos which was really Warrows where they sold the famous lumpy scrumpy!'

http://www.lewys.co.uk/August%20Diaries.html

Interesting diary from the time too, which I've come across in the past.

Thought it was the other way round, Worros upstairs Frodos down, but hey ho, it's amazing how 'lumpy scrumpy' can fog the memory bank.

Karl and the Heidelburgers are mentioned in rather a long thread on here re "The Beer Kellar" and it's later incarnation "The Mardi Gras"

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent find Sussexred :)

The content of this site is fantastic, not just Warrows but also many of the Sandpiper.

Can't take all the credit though - I've just seen that Stu already posted the link in the Sandpiper thread. Shucks!

I actually recognise a couple of the 'faces' in those pictures, I've looked extra hard as I'm convinced I should be in there somewhere !

What a great find , and thanks for sharing it with us.

• 3 months later...

good times in worros. misspent most of my early in there. then it was sandpipers.

You weren't the only one.

I'm sure I wore a groove in the pavement going between there and the Sal, the Bell, and Yates's.

Although the mix of copious amounts of scrumpy, Pernod, Whitbread, whatever was on offer in the Bell, and Yates kangaroo juice did make you a bit queasy the next morning.

:)

• Upvote 2

anyone remember a wine bar on marian way, somewhere between friar lane and st james st . reckon it appeared in the early 80s and disappeared not long after. feel sure we used to go in for last uns before catching 232 back to ilson.

Can't remember the name of the place, but I seem to recall that it used to be a cafe and chip shop before that.