"Ashwell's" Railway Tunnel

Aaah, The Nottingham Suburban Line. Just about vanished now but if you know where to look you can still see vestiges. The tunnel, one of several on this expensively engineered line, runs beneath Woodborough Park.

Cheers Bamber.

Aaah, The Nottingham Suburban Line. Just about vanished now but if you know where to look you can still see vestiges. The tunnel, one of several on this expensively engineered line, runs beneath Woodborough Park.

Cheers Bamber.

Correct.....I'm sure you meant to type Woodthorpe! !congrats!

Rather reminds me of the superb 'Millholme Models', now defunct, which used to occupy the former church building on Lingwood Lane at Woodborough.

Frankly, I hadn't a clue about a rail tunnel beneath Woodthorpe Grange.

My knowledge of the Suburban line between Thorneywood Tunnel and Thackeray's Lane is storeable on the back of a very small postage stamp!

Was it not severe structural problems found in Thorneywood Tunnel which hastened the line's closure?

Your turn....

Cheers

Robt P.

From memory:

The Suburban Line was originally designed as a short cut for the GNR line that served Gedling Colliery and Arnold.

Completed in 1899 it struggled from the outset burdened by the sheer cost of its construction - its route consisted largely of cuttings, bridges and tunnels - and competition from trams and subsequently motorbuses. Its main source of business were the brickworks along the line.

It closed for passenger services in the early 1930s. The route was damaged by bombing and was never restored. The last goods train ran in 1951.