The Government have found a new way to save money by recycling envelopes, I have been sent a form by the The Pension service which I filled in ok, picked up the envelope to put the form in it then noticed the envelope flap was stuck down, By error? no it had been opened with a paper knife? on turning over the envelope I noticed it had been franked at the top with words royal mail post ,they had sent me a used envelope to use. Now that's the way to save money. I am waiting for a reply from them about it

When I first left school in 1966 I worked for 18 months in the Ministry of Social Security (actually I started there the day it ceased to be the Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance). One of the supplies in my desk drawer was a fist full of OHMS (remember that?) pre-addressed return labels, to be sent out with enquiries, so that members of the public could reply using the same envelope without incurring the cost of postage. For internal mail between government departments we had pre-printed multi-journey envelopes that were used over and over again until they literally fell to bits.

Mind you, in those days anyone writing off their own bat to a government department tended not to put a stamp on, but just write OHMS on the envelope. It was invariably delivered by the Post Office without charge or objection, provided it was a legitimate address. Of course, in those days the Post Office itself (including telephones) was a civil service deparment.

• Upvote 1

For years a friend of ours always used pre-paid envelopes, those that come with junk mail. He just put a sticker over the address that was printed on them and re-addressed. He may still be doing this, I don't know!

Lols we use the prepaid envelopes that come with the junk mail...to recycle all our junk mail back to the senders!!! We don't get so much now!! :jumping:

• 4 years later...

They themselves are a complete load of tosh so what do we expect, not a lot!!

Earlier this year I caught a bin man looking in my garden waste bin, he then closed the lid and started to walk away. When challenged he explained the bin was contaminated with 'kitchen waste' and pointed to half a dozen split tomatoes I had chucked in there. When I asked him about the 'blown' calabrese I had also chucked in he told me that was kitchen waste too.

I took him round the back and pointed out the veggies growing there and after a few barbed comments from myself my bin was emptied, funny they don't look in my bin anymore.

• Like 1