Britain's most Fascist building

;) I think that was T, Cecil Howitt 1889-1969, he also disigned the Home Brewery head Office.... :tease: regarding your question i like mick haven't at this time a clue.....but i'm working on it..........

Alright, an even more ovious clue as to the identity of Britain's most Fascist building.

This building was the apple of T.Cecil Howett's eye. :yahoo:

Pity he's still not around. He'd make a far better job of designing new buildings than the present lot of rubbish they're throwing up around Nottingham :angry: .

The modern buildings take some beating for being eyesores. The Revenue building on Castle Meadow is a fine example of a building looking like a car park from the outside and a prison from the in. Have you seen the Amenity building, it looks like a giant alien from space buried up to his neck.

A ;)

The IR building is a classic example of penny pinching.

The original design specified the use of white concrete but to cut costs they went for the cheaper grey instead. The landscaping of the site also leaves a lot to be desired.

And as for the revolutionary ventilation system: it broke down soon after opening and hasn't worked since.

I'll put you out your misery. Britain's most Fascist building is Trent Uni's Newton Building. :Shock:

The heating system caused a lot of problems, the people that warked there were in danger of getting sick building syndrome. The system was designed to return the warm air to the base of the building and then filter it through and round again. Therefore, if anyone sneezed on the top floor then the rest of the building got a cold.

The turrets on the corners were designed to rise and fall as the temperature rose, the only problem was the Pigeons. They would get in when the cap was up and then when it went down they couldn't get out.

Having worked there for about 10 years there are some things that don't bare repeating.

A ;)

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...

There is a building in town that has a frieze of swastikas, is that it? Can't post a pic for some weird reason.

• 8 months later...
42 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

With the piano..Thought it was the Strolling Bones!

The Strolling Bones ????     I actually meant to post in "owt about nowt" but never mind.

Staythorpe chimneys were a bugger to ladder, you had to splice the ladders three times because the guys that built it had put the L B1s at the wrong spacing. Approx 1 million bricks per stack, and 425ft tall.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Granted..Staythorpe was a tad brutal.staythorpe-s.jpg

Staythorpe A won architectural design awards when it was opened in 1950. It was quite an imposing structure. Staythorpe B followed in 1962 on an adjoining site and was a much more industrialised building. The current gas fired Staythorpe power station is a hideous industrial blot on the landscape and spoils the views from miles around. 

Nice one Ian, but laddering with skid ladders(16ft) usually used up North, is totally different to laddering with 10ft ladders. When I instructed at the C.I.T.B. i did invite Fred to the place to show him other techniques, he declined. On a steel stack, i would get up it quicker with 10ft(termed, Yorkshire ladders) than someone using 16ft(termed Lancashire ladders). Fred wasn't anyone specs ,just a a guy that was in the right place at the right time.

• Like 1