Where was this building?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An interesting point, Bamber. I've just this past week listened to a talk also by a Redhill resident which included a description of how he has been refurbishing a statue of the artist for the past ye

At a guess Richard Birkin, who was famous in the lace world in those days.

Let's have a go at another one then. Nottingham city centre, present day.

ws.png

Former School of Art, junction of Waverley Street/Peel Street

I'm not sure, but my mystery building may well be the work of the same architect (not Watson F)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You may or may not be able to identify this famous Nottinghamshire resident by the inscription but who was he and on which Nottinghamshire building is this plaque prominently situated?

image005.jpg

It is Richard Parkes Bonington, on his home in Arnold??

Is correct! The plaque resides on the front of the building on High Street which is nowadays the Arnold Labour club.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=high+street+arnold&ll=53.004196,-1.128561&spn=0.000876,0.002642&hnear=High+St,+Arnold,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.00429,-1.129053&panoid=ZFeTig_UNuBjGQuDu3aPLg&cbp=12,305.76,,0,-12.85

It always struck me as a bit cheeky of Arnold to claim RPB as their own. He moved to France with his parents when a teenager, studying and working on the continent until his untimely death in his middle twenties.

An interesting point, Bamber. I've just this past week listened to a talk also by a Redhill resident which included a description of how he has been refurbishing a statue of the artist for the past year which has been bequeathed and will go on public display. Richard Parkes Bonington is commonly described as coming from Arnold so I decided to do a little cursory research. Apologies, as I'm sure you are aware of the following information already.

Firstly, Richard Parkes Bonington was born in Arnold in 1802, his first home was at High Street in Arnold. His mother opened a school in Arnold just after he was born and his father was the Governor of Nottingham Gaol. His father nurtured his son's talent whilst in Arnold, resulting in his work being displayed in Liverpool at age 11 years. After this time his parents opened a lace factory but as a result of industrial unrest of the time they decided to emigrate to France in 1917, firstly to Calais then Paris the year after.

The young Bonington spent parts of 1823 touring Belgium, much of 1924 in Dunkirk and several months of his short life in London in 1825. He further travelled extensively in Italy and made several extended stays to London before later returning there where he died and is buried.

To summarise, Bonington was born in Arnold of parents who lived in the town. His first home was in Arnold and he spent fourteen of the twenty-five years of his life being brought up in Arnold. He is also known to have been a skilled artist, with at least one exhibition, at a very young age (though not yet formally trained) whilst in Arnold. In addition to hailing from the town, he has not been in any other part of the world for nearly the length of time that he spent in Arnold.

I'd have to offer the humble opinion that Richard Parkes Bonington IS 'from Arnold' and rightly celebrated with a school and a theatre named after him. Others may disagree but I think it's perfectly reasonable to claim he is from the Nottinghamshire town.

• Upvote 1

having the initials 'RB'....noticed a building on 'Broadway' in the lace market with 'RB' carved in the stonework all over it.....any idea who that 'RB' could be ???....there is a large carved coat of arms there too but too worn to work it out.

NB00418.JPGThe Birkin Warehouse & Offices

Broadway Nottingham

This warehouse was designed by Thomas Chambers Hine and built in 1853/55 for Richard Birkin, one of the great Nottingham lace manufacturers. Birkin & Co Ltd. was established earlier in 1827 and Richard was responsible for several important developments in the Levers lace machine.

An interesting point, Bamber. I've just this past week listened to a talk also by a Redhill resident which included a description of how he has been refurbishing a statue of the artist for the past year which has been bequeathed and will go on public display. Richard Parkes Bonington is commonly described as coming from Arnold so I decided to do a little cursory research. Apologies, as I'm sure you are aware of the following information already.

Firstly, Richard Parkes Bonington was born in Arnold in 1802, his first home was at High Street in Arnold. His mother opened a school in Arnold just after he was born and his father was the Governor of Nottingham Gaol. His father nurtured his son's talent whilst in Arnold, resulting in his work being displayed in Liverpool at age 11 years. After this time his parents opened a lace factory but as a result of industrial unrest of the time they decided to emigrate to France in 1917, firstly to Calais then Paris the year after.

The young Bonington spent parts of 1823 touring Belgium, much of 1924 in Dunkirk and several months of his short life in London in 1825. He further travelled extensively in Italy and made several extended stays to London before later returning there where he died and is buried.

To summarise, Bonington was born in Arnold of parents who lived in the town. His first home was in Arnold and he spent fourteen of the twenty-five years of his life being brought up in Arnold. He is also known to have been a skilled artist, with at least one exhibition, at a very young age (though not yet formally trained) whilst in Arnold. In addition to hailing from the town, he has not been in any other part of the world for nearly the length of time that he spent in Arnold.

I'd have to offer the humble opinion that Richard Parkes Bonington IS 'from Arnold' and rightly celebrated with a school and a theatre named after him. Others may disagree but I think it's perfectly reasonable to claim he is from the Nottinghamshire town.

Not wishing to be pedantic but it wasn't a short life if he was touring Belgium in 1823 and Dunkirk 101 years later in 1924..................................... slywink

Everyone on here who, like me, enjoy looking at our architectural past, should check this site out, if you haven't already.....I alway's find something new when I visit it..........

Is this where you got your photo from Fynger?

http://www.nottingham21.co.uk/