I cant remember all the teachers, My form teacher was Mr Simon with a slight comb-over taught art in the new block also in the new block Piggy Roberts taught woodwork, Mr Marciniak taught metal work, mr chaulkley taught science ,Over the road I remember Pop Williams Music teacher, had a leather strap and sucked cough lozenges all the time years later he lived in the same place as me in Sherwood on Cavendish Vale, was a nice bloke.Mr Medley, Mr stevens, mr Cauntley with a hump back now know it to be scoliosis as my daughter has the condition, Head Teacher Mr Bains(peg leg).

My best mate was Mick Thorpe of Mabel Grove off Crocus street, There was a cobbler's on the corner Foxy, We went everywhere on our old bikes, Also remember Winnie Raymond,Kieth Clark, John and Robert Smith with ginger hair, The Tunnelys,keith Daniels, I lived on Lammas st, Just at the bottom on Kirkwright there was Hilda the chipie.

Was sent to St Saviours Sunday school but hardly went we spent the sub money on sweets and went down the trent, we were only sent out the way so my parents could bonk in peace, Strangely I was never brain washed and remain an atheist.

I had several jobs for my pocket money, was a paper lad at Smiths in Midland station, also on Arkwright st, Delivered groceries for Marsdens, and a butchers lad in the shop on Saturdays and delivering meat with my striped apron and black bike with the basket on the front.(well got that of my chest). Alan.

• Upvote 2

Hello Alan,

Thank you. Interesting read. I left Tb in July 1964.

Mr Williams was certainly a odd chappy. Sucked tunes and sometimes took us for music over in the Meadows Boys Club.

I can recall all the old teachers. Were you in Malc Theakstones class?

Kind regards

Tony ( Paine )

Alan,

Apologies, forget to say 'welcome'

Just noticed that you left TB in 1963 so you would not be in Malc Theakstones class.

TB junior school and the girls school have been demolished. Only our old school buildings and the 'new' block still stand.

Was In Cape Verde islands 2 years ago albeit briefly ( cruising) Lovely place to live.

Kind regards

Tony

Welcome Alan

You are before my time, left in 68. Most teachers the same though.

This forum was originally started purely for Trent Bridge pupils before I extended it to Nottinghamshire.

Hope you get lots out of reading and replying to posts here.

Thanks for reply,s No wasnt in the Theakstons class they were in the A stream I was in the B stream then there was the C,s.

Yes heard Part of the school has been redeveloped for housing,

A few of us used to go down the rock gardens at dinner time with fishing line and catch the little carp, til the groundsmen run us off! sometimes we would play truent and fish on the steps of the trent with a few maggots in a tin, we only caught gudgeon my record was 90, usually only about 10.

I could never understand why we was walked all the way past Forest football ground to play cricket on that field with the poplars right it next to the railway bridge, when we played football right next to the school? I played for my house Laws but not for the school, I had ankle length brown boots rock hard from drying out after getting wet!

My brother Rob Walker was at same school but 2 years below me his best mate was Robert Davy (sadly he has died), He now lives in Thailand.

Can also remember Brian Metcalf, Alan Hall, John Downs,

Alan

That was called 'Trent Pool', and I remember we played cricket down there in the summer.

And yes trains ran over the bridge at that time, about 1965.

J.B. Simons.

Used to sit on a high seat/desk at the right of the room.

Drew fantastic illustrated county maps, Wish I could get my hands on some now.

Never been able to find any info about him or his maps?

Bubblewrap probably has them all :)

Welcome Alan, have you got a brother called Alcott? i remember Winnie Raymond and his younger brother Carl.

No! My name is Alan Walker, my brother is called Robert known as Rob, sorry not the one you now!

Hello Alan,

Thank you. Interesting read. I left Tb in July 1964.

Mr Williams was certainly a odd chappy. Sucked tunes and sometimes took us for music over in the Meadows Boys Club.

I can recall all the old teachers. Were you in Malc Theakstones class?

Kind regards

Tony ( Paine )

No wasnt in Malc Theakstons class he was in the A stream I was a duffer in the B stream, but I remember him well and your name rings a bell! Cheers Alan.

• 6 years later...

Hi everyone, just found this site.

My name is John Cooksey, I attended TBS for boys from 1959 = 1963. Was in the A stream for two years then I entered the B stream for the last two years.

i have many memories to share with you, starting with the TB bump when I first started at the the school.

Dose anyone remember Michael Abbot who managed to get himself impaled on the railings, the teachers rushing over to lift him off.

The good old days hey.

Take care all, John

I remember the four house teams we were put in, mine was Lake, the others if I remember correctly were Bosworth, Pearson and Laws.

They we’re named after four first world one soldiers killed, not sure if they were local.

i know the School were used as a hospital during both world wars and that there were a air raid shelter in the play grounds.

More memories to follow ( hopefully).

Welcome John. Please give us more memories, I didn't go to that school, but others did, and maybe someone just Googling the school will come on, who knows you.

Hi Tony, thanks for that. Even after all these years it’s nice to be remembered.

Did you and your family live on Beauvale Road?

i see you are Located In Derbyshire, just got back from the Peak District, our youngest daughter lives there, a nice part of the country.

Are you in touch with any other TBB?

i hope life as been good to you.   John.

• Like 1

Thanks John. No lived on Woolmer Road and moved to Wilford when I was 14 years old. The only other old TBB's I have been in touch with were Tony lander and still in contact with Arthur Clarke. Heard from Alan Hall many years ago.

Happy memories of TB school.

Life has been good and I am very involved in village life-church , pub and local institute. I run an old people's club.

Take care, Kind regards,  Tony