wellcome bob dont you mean young delinquents or at least thats what my brothers used to call it, how old are you bob i went to ashwellst school and then carlton girls im 62 today and have lots of good memories of netherfield. please add you own memories on memories of netherfield.

Hi Babs and others ...I'm 61....62 in Sept ....Some of my family still live in Netherfield and reading through the posts has brought back lots of memories.

I went to Ashwell street school and then on to Chandos the same as my older brother and all my sisters went on to Station Rd Girls school , i also spent a lot of my childhood in and around the ponds , i used to do a lot of fishing as a lad with the caretaker of Ashwell street school Albert Watkins ,also know as Coke Watkins and his dog Flint i also gleaned lots of fishing tips from the water bailif Ron Lyle (could be Lye).

One of our favourite pastimes as kids was to go to the allotments nick some rubarb and have rubard fights , but i spent most my time on Cricket Field playing football until i discovered girls then it all went downhill from there ..

As a teenager i used to knock about with Stephen (Charlie/Fezz)Merrit ,i was always into motor bikes but my dad wouldn't let me have one so i could often be found rideing pillion with on of my mates or hanging about at the GAY Cafe ,How meaning of the word gay has changed ,in those days it ment ..The Guild of Abstaining Youth ...then we went to the pub .

I can remember being lined up outside the Royal Oak by sgt Jack Else he slapped us all with his gloves and sent us on our way ,then he drank our pints , i sure he was tipped of by the landlord Sid Dunkin ......anyway enough for now ....Bob Shureuncle .

• Upvote 3

hi bob , if your birthday in sep you would have been in the year below me at school steve merrit was in my class my brother jhon or wemmy as he was known in nethowas the year behind you. ronnie lye and family lived on deable st had two sons little bit older than me greory and i think the other one i think ron same as his dad. steve also lived on our st too at the time they both later moved to dennis st to live. my maiden name was clements i proberly knew your family. i did not do gay cafe or oak much because both my brotheres did, but lived next to charlie denoon big mate of fez at one time and spent most of my time with his sister leslie and we would go to cavo the carlton and off down the whiteheart lenton were i started going out with piggy a lenton guy and eventually got married. still see leslie every week on a thursday bikers night down the heart we still friends after all these years. my brother ray also fished in same club as mr lye , much of my time spent down trent fields when i was young a bit of a tom boy till i was about 13 so always with the lads not many girls my age around bottom end of netho then either. look forward to more of your memories you will find as my old friend sheila i have a realy good memory for the people places and events in netho she laughed at me couse i could just about remember every one who was in our class at bothour schoolsand of mr watkins he also lived on debil st before he got the care takers job.

my old friend shiela who i dont se very often but still keep in touch with her says she only has to ask me to jog her memories, not only did i remember all the kids but were they all sat

three rows with four double desks in each one near the window mainly had the more clever kids in some of them past 11 plus 4 i think alogether in our class middle row had teachers desk mt taylor in front of that he put trouble makers in that row so he could keep an eye on them easier last row near the door had the geography maps on those of us not quite so clever but not realy trouble makers sat there. light green gloss paint on windows doors skirtings ect and yellow on the walls blackboard and easel next to the desk. this class room was left hand side of the school hall final year at junior school not bad considering it over 50 years ago left there july 1962.

• 10 months later...

Hi Everyone, and HAPPY NEW YEAR. Thank you for helping to return some good old memories of Carlton and Netherfield. I have been reading a lot of posts from the archives.

As the years have passed, I have lost a lot of memories of that area.

I was born and lived in Carlton for the first 21 years of my life, I lived on the railway track right opposite Chandos Street School.

I went to Carlton Central Primary school and then on to Chandos street Boys school.

Left England in 1969 now live in a part of the world many miles away from you where people do not speak my native language.

As I said I lived in Carlton, but my grandmother and Grandfather (Doris and Joe) lived in Dunstan Street ( I think, but I cannot remember for sure, in Devonshire cottages) My grandfather used to drink in Jacky Bells

My uncle lived in Netherfield too, maybe some people may remember him. He was the local window cleaner, riding around on his pedal bike that had a sidecar that carried his ladders and buckets.

I am even having problems remembering names from my school days. But I can still picture the cricket field, the swings, slide and concrete blocks under the railway bridge, the dyke where many a time I fell in while trying to jump it, the gravel pits with the tunnels, maybe I was one of the kids who used to use your rafts when no one was around. The maggot farm, Even on the colwick side the old concrete building near the gravel pits (that I think had been bombed during the war) I never knew the building when it had windows.

My father used to work at the sugar beet factory and was a member of the gun club there. I still remember some of the fun family days that the factory used to have .

The other day I remember reading an old post that mentioned the name of John Fowler (I seem to remember that name from Chandos street) other names Peter Esswood, John Price, I think maybe a peter Ellis, But not too many more. I have lost most of my old photos whilst travelling. I would appreciate copies of any old photos that anyone may have of the old school days both at Carlton Central and Chandos Street Boys school My school years stretched from about 1953 to 1962. I have no pics to share with my kids of my time there. I use Google maps to try to show them the area, but it has changed so much, even I cannot remember it fro the modern pics

I am sorry to bore you with this post. Just hope I can meet up with someone from the past to share memories and life with. Keep up your posts, I have found all of them very interesting.

Good work Guys.

• Upvote 4

And welcome from me too Carltonlad. I spent the first 8 years of my life in Netherfield, living right at the bottom of Dunstan Street ..... Norman Villas., the dyke ran along the bottom of our garden. I went to Ashwell Street School, played on the cricket field and in and around the dyke. Norman Villas was knocked down to make way for the Loop Road many years ago. I don't remember many names from those days myself but recently found my 'News Book' from Infant school and there are a few names of my friends mentioned in there. Wait until Babs logs on, she'll amaze you with what and who she can remember ! Where do you live now then?

Welcome Carltonlad , I am sure you will find plenty of info on here about Carlton and Netherfield .

Welcome Carltonlad, as you can see, plenty of info, assistance and helpful folk here.

Best of luck in your quest for people's memories to be revealed.

Welcome any newbies on this subject. Have fun. I'm not from anywhere around Colwick or Netherfield but spent loads of my youth hanging around the engine sheds.

Hi Everyone Thank you for your warm welcome.

LizzieM, I am located in Taiwan. Landed here totally by accident 10 years ago. Stayed and worked teaching English in a primary school. Even though it is a very advanced country, it is like living in the sixties again. Low crime rate, low taxes, freedom to go anyway at anytime, still get respect from the students and I do not have people telling me I am too old. Now I have my own small Language school teaching English. I still ride a scooter, I also have a car for rainy days.

It is because of my present environment, that over the last two years, I have started to think a lot about Carlton and Netherfield again and the fun times from long ago. I have found I can still visualize the places around the area, but I have forgotten a lot of names. My children (all adults now) used to ask me about when I was in living England. I used to love sharing my experiences with then, but I never had photos to share. I would now like to find some copies of photos to refresh my memory. I would also like to try to make contact with some of the people from the past.

Is it true that the Royal Oak is now the Inn for a Penny? I have just been roaming on Google map.

One memory that returned to me the other day was when I was very young I used to sit at my bedroom window looking across the railway tracks at the Chandos Street school gym, watching the kids climb the climbing bars attached to the walls. They stretched across the big windows that faced me. I used to think that the kids looked like monkeys (no disrespect) climbing the bars. A few years later, I was one of the kids doing the same thing at that school.

I also remember my Saturday morning trip to Hickinbottoms the butchers in Netherfield to collect the fresh faggots and a jug of gravy.

My other grandfather, who lived with us, used to work in the loco sheds, I would often go with him at weekends or during school holidays, looking at and climbing into the trains, also sitting in the lamp room helping to fill the lamps and drinking tea. I was also in the Chandos street school choir. One year we had to practice with the Carlton girl's school choir. My position was next to a girl from that school. I was so scared on the performance day that I grab the girl's hand and held it for the whole performance. This was the most embarrassing time of my life, as her friends who were sitting with us were giggling and nodding towards us. The news spread across the whole back row of the choir. One thing I did appreciate was that she never let go of my hand, I never did find out the girls name.

Must finish for now.

Hoping someone can help to refresh my memories.

• Upvote 6

Three 'likes' on first post, and one (so far) on second post, can't be bad :)

Looking forward to hearing more from you, and we are equally as interested in life in Taiwan.

• 3 weeks later...

hi carlton lad i remember some of your family roger i worked with at broxtowe play centre diane from carlton girls school and tony whent to chandos with my younger brother.

jonny price is an old mate of mine and we still keep in touch via facebook he now lives an a little village in rutland and see each other once or twice a year if you remember him you may also remember tony caladine lived in colwick, they may have been in the same class at school but they were both rockers in the 60s and mates then i see tony regularly at the white hart on a thursday night.

well thats all for now must get some sleep

babs

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Babs. you are right, you do know some of my family.

John and I were best friends from when I was about 6 or 7 years old. right up to the time I left England in 1969.

I made contact with him again around 1980. He even mailed 3 delicious tea bags to me. At that time I had a broken arm and wrist and my girlfriend at the time used to write the letters to him. Then I lost contact again and lost his address, so we have not had contact in over 30 years. I do not recall Tony Caladine ( I may have known him. My memory of names and places is starting to get rather bad), He may have been in John's class. John was a year ahead of me in school.

When you see him again ask him about the little Austin A30 that was his first car. We would go fishing in that car.

I also reminisce about the good times we had on holiday in Perranporth, Cornwall. Although if I remember rightly John had an accident on one of those holidays and had his leg in plaster for most of it.

I do not use facebook. But may I leave my contact info on your PM.

Also I am looking for old photos of my school period from about 1954 to 1962. I went to the original Carlton Central Primary School and Chandos Street Boys School Year 1B, 2B, 3B I left school just before my 15th birthday..

HI CARLTON LAD

I THINK YOU MIGHT BE GETTING MY BROTHER JOHN MIXED UP WITH MY BROTHER RAY JOHN WAS THE YOUNGEST IN OUR FAMILY AND IS NOW 61 RAY WOULD HAVE BEEN NEARLY 75 NOW WAS THE OLDEST IF THAT THE ONE YOU KNEW AND IM SURE IT WOULD BE I AM SORRY TO TELL YOU THAT RAY DIED AT 59 AFTER A SECOND BRAIN EMORIDGE LEAVING 2 CHILREN WHO WERE AR THE TIME NEARLY 21 AND 18. HIS FIRST BRAIN EMORIDGE 10 YEARS BEFORE HE DIED WAS THE RESULT OF HIM BEING MUGGED ON MAPPERLEY TOP ON HIS WAY HOME FROM THE PUB ONE NIGHT. ONLY A FEW HUNDRED YARDS FROM HIS HOUSE, MY BROTHER JOHN WAS FRIENDS WITH YOUR TONY WHEN THEY WERE AT CHANDOS SCHOOL, I WAS THE YEAR ABOVE YOUR SISTER DIANNE AT CARLTON GIRLS SCHOOL AND I REMEMBER HER FROM BEFORE YOUR FAMILY MOVED TO OZ.AS I SAID PREVIOUSLY ROGGER WORKED WITH ME AT BROXTOWE ADVENTURE PLAYGROUND WHEN WE WERE BOTH PLAYWORKERS. LONG TIME SINCE I LAST SAW HIM HOWS HE DOING DO YOU STILL KEEP IN TOUCH