Elgin Street, Annesley Street, Nottingham.

Hi everyone,

I saw your forum on the net and wondered if anyone on here could help me find Elgin Street or Annesley Street in Nottingham.

I assume that they no longer exist as I cannot find them on any maps that I have of Nottingham, although I have seen them indexed on a map of 1920.

My Grandmother lived in these streets between 1891 - 1901 and I have tried to locate them on various maps over the years without success.

If anyone could tell me where they were so I could transfer their location onto my map of Nottingham, I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks,

Phill

Welcome Phill, Annesley Street was (and no longer is) in the Meadows area of Nottingham - like this.....

annes.jpg

And if you go to this site http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/index.php and type Annesley Street in the Search box, you'll get quite a few photos of it.

I'm not sure about Elgin Street, yet

• Upvote 2

Thanks Cliff

Many thanks, I have been looking for quite a while now, I thought I might have to wait untill i visited Nottingham library to locate them.

I suppose they were cleared like Birmingham, to make way for modern tower blocks that they are now pulling down again to rebuild traditional houses.

Funny how we go round in circles,

phill

Elgin Street was a very poor area...in the early days with one water pump for the whole street and shared toilets.Certainly in the 1890s.The whole area was a slum for many years and the most crowded area of Nottingham.

This was Middle Marsh in the 1890s just round the corner from Elgin Street.

ntgm016050.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 6 months later...

I have just found this website while researching my family history. I was also looking for Annesley street on old maps of the area so thanks for the earlier posts.

My great grandma was brought up at delhi cottages, ferry street. Can anyone help me locate it?

Many thanks

Nic

• Upvote 1

Ferry Street was what today is the location of Sweet Leas Road, just off the Queens Walk in The Meadows and a couple of hundred yards from the river Trent.

You will see on this detail map of 1881 that none of the houses fronted on to Ferry Street.No Delhi Cottages marked.The star shows an area that had not yet been built on.

u8p1.jpg

This shows the general area in 1916 Ferry Street near the bottom.

skao.jpg

A detail in 1916 shows some new cottages (red dots) have been built facing Ferry Street...I would suggest these might be your Delhi Cottages,built around the turn of the last century.

nq7g.jpg

Ferry Street is listed as being off Cremorne Street which in turn is listed as being off Kirkewhite Street West.

Ferry Street is hardly listed in the directories,the only occupant I can find listed is 1881 David Dion (Shopkeeper) at No 8...although according to the maps there aren't eight properties facing Ferry Street. ;)

• Upvote 1

Ferry Street,

I have been through my directories earliest 1860 & I think it must have been built after 1868 but it it is listed in a directory of 1972.

There appears to be four properties numbered 2,4,6,& 8.

I will not list all the names but here are the names of the shop at number 8

1891 David Dioin

1916 Matthew Chapell Shopkeeper.

1925,1928,1932, & 1941 John H Bradbury Shopkeeper.

I think Ferry Street "disappeared" during the clearance of the Meadows in the early 1970s

Annesley Street was at the bottom of our street - Summers Street in the Medders. There was an off-licence on the corner of Annesley and Waterway streets. Used to visit it often to buy a jug of beer for my Dad and other rels. Bought my very first bottle of alcoholic cider there when only thirteeen. Nobody worried about such things in those days.

On thinking about it, there were always young kids collecting bottles and jugs of beer, and other forms of alcohol to take home. My Gran would send us for a glass of Stones ginger wine to settle her tum whenever she wasn't feeling too well. I believe that's alcoholic too. Could have been just eight or nine years old.

Welcome niclindop, you've probably now got more information than you expected. And we haven't finished yet.

This is Ferry Street. On the wall half way along, you can see a nameplate for what I assume is Delhi Cottages.

ferry1.jpg

And these are Delhi Cottages.

delhi1.jpg

That's fantastic.

My great gran was living at 3 delhi cottages in 1911 with her aunt and uncle who worked for the railway. Her brother in law also worked for the Midland railway company but was living on Annesley street. I'm not sure in what year they moved away from the area.

Thanks everyone for your help.