• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandad had a chemist shop on the corner of Rawson Street in New Basford just along the road from the brewery. I remember the drays clattering by on the cobbled roads.  My dad was friendly with Shi

Found this one among my old photos. Don't know when or where it was taken.

Found these Wish that lorry had been a Foden not Leyland.

Posted Images

From the vehicles I would put it early 60's. The Cortina is a 61ish Mk1

Pict0051_small.jpg

with the y shaped rear lights.

Pict0049_small.jpg

This was my first (working) car.

This of course was normal deliveries (not for show) in the 60s

I wonder when Shippos stopped delivering with the drays?

Yes Radford Road - the photographer was standing outside the National Provoncial bank on the corner of Bentink Road and Rdford Road looking down towards Gregory Blvd. The shop on the left is now a Bed Shop.

No, but the support wire is still there though, note the single light fitting hanging over the road. Suggests after the trolly bus lines were removed.

• 1 month later...

Tends to put a new spin on the term "On the wagon' Don't it.

But reminds me of a visit to Shippos Brewery where as a non beer drinker,

I actually enjoyed a pint of beer in their tasting room.

(with Nige Perdue. remember him?)

They also did a very good pint of Shippos in a pub back of broad marsh near the big rock below the shire hall (named?)

Guest Lentonlad

In the early 60's I lived on John St,New Basford and this tiny street led into Shipstones yard.I used to park my car in this street at night as Shippo's locked the gate to their yard at 6 pm.the trouble was,I was a stinker for overlaying and often neighbours would have to bang on my door to wake me.The trouble was,I was blocking the road when the drays and lorries tried to enter their yard.Often there would be a couple of rays and 2/3 lories waiting.they cured me though when the horses started biting the fins on my car leaving teeth marks in the metal. !rotfl!

• 7 months later...

Mick. first of all, thanks for all the old pics of Nottingham that you post, both you and Rob237 give me lots of enjoyment seeing these old pictures. Can I ask you if its possible to get a print of the picture of the Shipstones dray outside the Council House? I have been looking for such a picture for ages, and the only ones I see aren't as good as this one, ie, they don't show the whole dray. I don't know if it's from Picture the Past, but I can't find it on there. I know you can order pics from that website. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kath

There is quite a well known colour picture of the Forest FA Cup winning team stood with the Shippo's dray in the City Ground carpark, April '59.

I'll try to find it......

Cheers

Robt P.

Tends to put a new spin on the term "On the wagon' Don't it.

But reminds me of a visit to Shippos Brewery where as a non beer drinker,

I actually enjoyed a pint of beer in their tasting room.

(with Nige Perdue. remember him?)

They also did a very good pint of Shippos in a pub back of broad marsh near the big rock below the shire hall (named?)

Den might like to comment on Shippo's, him being a Conn...  Cones... Connise..  EXPERT!

Could it be ......'The Loggerheads'

Rob, I would love to see the Shipstones/Nottm Forest picture if it's at all possible? Sounds like two bits of nostalgia rolled into one! Is it possible to buy copies of that picture, do you know?

Kath

Kath,

I've scoured the net, as yet to no avail......

I have the pic' in a book somewhere, if all else fails I'll try to get that on screen for you..........watch this space.

Cheers

Robt P.