• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandad had a chemist shop on the corner of Rawson Street in New Basford just along the road from the brewery. I remember the drays clattering by on the cobbled roads.  My dad was friendly with Shi

Found this one among my old photos. Don't know when or where it was taken.

Found these Wish that lorry had been a Foden not Leyland.

Posted Images

I used to come home sometimes from Claremont school standing on the rear axle of the dray and hanging on the tailgate The driver would be fast asleep with an old sack round him The horses knew the way back to the stables how the driver slept on cobbled roads was amazing must have been the beer ha ha my grandfather could plait all the mane and tails with red white and blue ribbons for shows he had lots of horse brasses and silver cones that went over the horses ears meeowed

• Upvote 4

My great grandfather Samuel Ward looked after the Shipstones horses in his later years of employment and he lived with his wife and family first of all in Liddington Street and finally on Suez Street in Basford. As a young man, he had worked on his father in Law's farm in Lambley and was said to be a dab hand at ploughing with a Shire Horse team. He loved those horses!

• 1 month later...

I remember the horses at the Park Tavern across the road and at the Red Lion just a bit further up Nuthall road from us brining the barrels - they scared me as I thought they were huge ! 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My grandad had a chemist shop on the corner of Rawson Street in New Basford just along the road from the brewery. I remember the drays clattering by on the cobbled roads.  My dad was friendly with Shipstones' Ostler, Mr Tom Kirkland. Between them they fixed it for me to groom two of the shires, Duke and Captain?. I would have to stand on a beer crate to reach their backs and put their food on the floor to reach their heads. My wages was a crate of fizzy pop. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Welcome Christine. Look forward to reading more of your memories. My great grandad, Sam Ward, worked with the horses at Shipstones around 1900 until his retirement. He lived at 24 Suez Street. He had previously been a farmer and was famed for his ploughing skills with the teams of heavy horses.

I used to work at a garage on wollaton street my first job from leaving school  one winter it would be 55/56 I saw two shippos drays stop at the top of the hill the road was two way in those days The driver would put a chock under the wheels to hold back the dray on the descent This particular morning it was very ice covered I looked out the window to be met with an amazing sight of the dray going past with both horses sat on their backsides all four legs pointing straight out in front sliding down the hill with the driver frantically trying to get them back on their feet They only stopped when they reached Clarendon street   meeowed 

• Like 1