Well, as they say in Nottm..............."Damn my rags"!

I'd quite forgotten that the picture was the subject of my first ever Forum posting, after its submission by 'Red

".....The players pictured with the 'Shippo's' dray are, from left:

Charlie 'Chick' Thomson, Roy Dwight, Jeff Whitefoot, Bob McKinlay, Joe McDonald, Tommy Wilson, John Quigley, Jack Burkitt (captain), Bill Whare, Billy Gray and Stewart Imlach.

Sadly, and perhaps somewhat surprisingly, 8 of the '59 team have now passed away.

The only survivors being Thomson, Whitefoot & Gray......"

Cheers

Robt P.

Actual picture was submitted by 'Red...as below.

B/W, but I'm certain it was originally in colour...

post-14-1162847673_thumb.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandad had a chemist shop on the corner of Rawson Street in New Basford just along the road from the brewery. I remember the drays clattering by on the cobbled roads.  My dad was friendly with Shi

Found this one among my old photos. Don't know when or where it was taken.

Found these Wish that lorry had been a Foden not Leyland.

Posted Images

Thanks for finding that picture, Rob, I'd love to see it in living colour. I bet it's at the Forest Grounds, eh? [the original I mean]

Kath

• 2 months later...

Living not far from the brewery (Northgate) i remember the horses delivering the barrels to a beer off opposite my house. It was Bob and Sadie Cartwrights, where my grandad would sometimes send me to fetch him a half in a jug, obviously sampling the delights? of the brew as i bought it back! Back home, (not bought it back as in puked!! smile2)

My grandad would also scoop up the "road apples" for his garden, and very often on the way down to school, my mates and i would often pop into the brewery yard to look at the horses.

A shire mare and it's foal attended the opening ceremony of the Grey mare public house Clifton estate in the early to mid 60s

Cheers

Roger

Thought the only vehicle to have fins would have been a MOTOR PIKE AND SIDE CARP.......SORRY It's been one of those days

Cheers

Roger

i remember the horses delivering the barrels to a beer off opposite my house. It was Bob and Sadie Cartwrights

Was that the Cartwrights of "Ponderosa" fame.

The nickname for the Clifton Bridge Inn, Roger?

Ayup Mick,

The clifton bridge inn got the nickname Ponderosa because at the time it had the biggest car park for a pub and Bonanza (ranch name Ponderosa) had the biggest spread of land on the telly. Oh what a sad life I've had. Can remember it being built though

Cheers

Roger

• 10 months later...

Very good idea that, especially as you can get those 'on off as many times as you like' bus tickets

It goes up past the Arboretum and down the laft hand side of the forest to Noel Street

You would catch it outside where the Gaumont was.

Beer By Tram.

Have you downloaded the full guide and read the last paragraph on the back page?

No person in a state of intoxication will be allowed to enter

or remain on the NET system. No person shall consume

intoxicating liquor on any part of the NET system.

!rotfl!

I remember trolly busses on Mansfield road - I think they ran into Sherwood, but not to Redhill. I don't ever remember tram lines there, but they could have been long gone before my time!

I remember trolly busses on Mansfield road - I think they ran into Sherwood, but not to Redhill. I don't ever remember tram lines there, but they could have been long gone before my time!

There used to be (Maybe still is) a bus depot on Mansfield road in Sherwood

Always bus's to Redhill I reckon, Eric. Probably in your time the old 57 corporation bus would terminate at the junction of Redhill Road and Mellors Road? Smack outside Redhill School, I seem to remember there was a large clock set up front of a tall hedge for the drivers to check by.

There used to be (Maybe still is) a bus depot on Mansfield road in Sherwood

The right-hand side of the old bus depot has been a pub for a few years now, beefy. Can't remember it's current name but in it's last vision before closing for some time it was called 'Katmandu' I went in there one night and Doctor and The Medics were playing!

The right-hand side of the old bus depot has been a pub for a few years now, beefy. Can't remember it's current name but in it's last vision before closing for some time it was called 'Katmandu'

It's called the Oak Tree. When you do a search on google it only brings up basic information as it doesn't appear to have it's own web site.

Been in there lots of times, mainly for a wet before we go across the road for a sit down nose bag in the La Capanna - great Italian food if I may say so. Mmmmmmmm.

Not the best kept beer in Notts but it's clean and friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading yesterday that there was a tram service all the way to and through Arnold from Nottingham. This would have deviated at Daybrook Square along Nottingham Road and into Arnold as opposed to heading to Redhill. Apparently the first one ran in 1915, the previous nearest depot being Sherwood. It ran until 1936 when the very last tram service in Nottingham was driven from Daybrook Square to Nottingham Market Square by the owner of the Home Brewery, Alderman J. Farr J.P.

The service terminated at the junction of Coppice Road, Church Street and Front Street, near where the present Arnold library and Robin Hood pub stand. It's original identity was the number nine but this changed to the letter 'K'. Front Street at that time and now had it's narrow areas so there were single rails and passing loops in places, particularly where the pedestrian precinct at the sound end of Front Street is now. Apparently the trams were sometimes used to to give 'poor children' a day out in Nottingham too.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I used to live in the corner house on alfred street central opposite the great freeman arms pub, they delivered the ale by a dray with shire horses, I used to give one a slice of bread, think it's name was paddy, sadly I heard it was killed by a bus later in it's life, made me very sad to hear it he was a beauty too.

• 1 year later...

It was such a common sight to see a Shippo's dray, that we took it for granted. We never foresaw the day when they'd no longer be around, we couldn't guess the progress of the world, and things to come [and go!] when we were young. I'm sure quite a few times, I'd curse because our bus was behind one, going up Alfreton Road towards Canning Circus. I never appreciated at the time what a pull it was for the horses, as the road climbed steadily. But, I'd give my eye teeth to be behind a Shippo's dray today!

I remember one of Shippo's horses and it's youngster being present at the opening of the Grey Mare public house on Farnborough road Clifton in the early 60's, seem to recall there being a photo of such in the bar, don't know if it's still there though, (the pub or the photo)

Rog

Only two breweries in the country still operate dray horses. Hook Norton in Oxfordshire have three, Consul, Major and Nelson.

Wadsworth's in Wiltshire retired Tom 2 weeks ago, but still use Prince, Monty and Max for their daily deliveries.

The last brewery in East Anglia to use them was Adnams at Southwold, they built a new eco friendly bottling plant outside the town a few years ago and decided that it was too dangerous to use the horses on the busy road into Southwold. The horses were retired to an estuary side meadow nearby ( if any of you know Southwold you'll appreciate what a lovely place it is ), however the carts and draymen are kept on a part time basis and the horses and carts are regularly displayed at local shows on behalf of the brewery, so all is not lost.

I gather from a previous correspondant that as well as shutting down Hardy Hansons, Greene King stole their carts as well and took them back to Bury St Edmunds, I don't know why they bothered, the sold off their horses for dog food years ago.

Shire horses and their ilk, Suffolk Punches and Percherons, are the most gentle and loving creatures but pretty much an endangered species in this country, Suffolk Punches in particular.

Some of you know that we lost our lovely Percheron, Jessica, only a few weeks ago, it's been hard to accept it, we miss her very much.