New trellis from old wood

Spent the past couple of days building a new trellis from wood scrounged from the local council tip. Made a 2" x 2" frame for strength. Added sturdy cross members followed by uprights. The finished product was strong enough to allow me to climb up it. It should last 25yrs and see me out :) Total cost of trellis: £2 for half a box of screws.

IMG_6489.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_6490.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_6491.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_6495.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 4

To be honest I don't think you can buy anything so sturdy. I have a climbing hydrangea to plan ton it as soon as I've topped up the soil from the now removed Russian Vine :)

No you can't beat hand made, the sort you get in a garden centre is usually stapled and drops to bits after a bit of weathering.

One pub skip with vandalised beer garden bench,round pub table,various bits of timber and ply.At home a few adhesive floor tiles and some left over screws,and fence paint.

Result...one planter and a bird table...cost?...less than a pint.

05589cc2.jpg

37efe736.jpg

• Upvote 1

My latest project is a cold frame made from 2nd hand wood and an old window frame. Have the framework finished and one side boarded so far.

This is my aviary, clad for winter with removable glass panels and windows.Every single one cadged off the blokes down the road fitting new double glazing to some council houses.Cost??.....Nowt!

47566203.jpg

• Upvote 3

Adapted what was going...luckily the aviary was built to suit 3 foot wire...and the windows being removed were from the days of feet and inches...so I found some that were 3 foot wide...boom boom...bit of juggling and job done! :biggrin:

• 2 years later...

I recently made two 4' x 4' trellis panels from old strips of timber. And then had enough bits left to make two 2' x 2' strips for my climbing roses. I did need 3 fence posts and some other small pieces at a cost of £29.

Today in Bardills, I saw inferior panels for £30 quid and the smaller panels £20. I'm pleased with myself !!!!

Old pallets are a good source of cheap wood, especially if you can get them for nothing, I've seen garden shed built out of them, don't laugh, they are strong and look good when finished!! Garden furniture made from pallets, you just have to use your imagination.

I used pallets stripped and planed/thicknessed the planks from them and used them ship lapped for the walls of a goat shed in California, looked good when done.

If I went for cold frames, I'd have to use metal, we have big problems with termites and carpenter ants here, any wood posts I use set in the ground have to be treated, and I always paint the section going in the ground with plastic roofing cement as an extra.

When I was driving for a living, I made several chicken houses from old pallets. They're mainly decent timber, and the blocks were burnt in my wood burning stove.

There was a Chilean chappie who lived in Port Stanley in the 80s. He built his house from pallets and coca cola tins! I used to have a photo of it but alas, it has disappeared along with much of my pre-divorce stuff ;)

I'll bet those Coke cans were thicker than todays cans.

Seen photos of 2 litre bottles used in wall construction, but like I said in response, those things go hard over a year and start falling to pieces.